Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

GIGS! Alvin "Little Pink" Anderson June 18th

Post by Organ Grinder »

Hi folks,

Hope ya don't mind me saying a few words about a blues guy I'm backing next weekend. Alvin "Little Pink" Anderson is coming over from South Carolina for a few gigs in this country next week and I'm lucky enough to have been enlisted to back him with my band 'Ma Grinders Blues Mission II'.

At age 18 Anderson was sent to prison for the first time. In October 1974, while still in prison Anderson's father, the legendary "Little Pink" Anderson whom Syd Barrett named Pink Floyd after, passed away which was a severe blow to the young man. He was paroled in 1979. In 1985 he had a son who became ill and spent the next 6 years in a coma before dying. In 1994 Anderson was back in prison after being arrested for driving under suspension. It was during the next 33 months in prison that Anderson made some tough choices and began to come to terms with his life. He stopped feeling sorry for himself and stopped blaming others for his hardships.

It wasn't until he was in his 40's that Anderson was finally able to come to grips with the death and loss he had experienced in his life. He also realized that he had some dreams that were left long ago when he was a teenager - dreams to follow in his fathers footsteps. Refusing parole so he wouldn't limit his options Alvin "Little Pink" Anderson walked out of prison for the last time in November 1996 a free man. The guy has a lot of depth and I'm genuinely proud and excited at the prospect of playing music with him.

Village Hall, Castor (near Peterborough) on Saturday 18th June. Tickets £10. Doors 7.30pm.

Cheers for reading.

If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Guess I'll leave my orange boiler suit at home on Saturday night then....

Apparently he did 15 years for armed robbery too.... :shock:

I bet he's a top bloke though. The PR suggest's a change of direction now he's doing music. Regardless, I shall endeavour to avoid pissing him off on Saturday!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

*watching tumbleweed blowing through this thread*

:lol: :P

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

CUNT! :P
Alan A Hillier
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Alan A Hillier »

Organ Grinder wrote:CUNT! :P
Easy Rasta..............

How did it go Organ?

Al
TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

Organ Grinder wrote: I shall endeavour to avoid pissing him off on Saturday!
No wonder I've not heard anything of you for a while!

On that musical note, OG - I'm working on tunes with a great tablas player from Kashmir. Great fusion, as might imagine

Anyway - Hope you didn't spill yer shandy all over the big black blues maestro...
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

It went really well considering we only had one 2 hour rehearsal yesterday afternoon, thanks Al. It isn't the way I like to work because it's pressure pressure pressure all the way.

Alvin was the usual relaxed American type but did have an air of defensiveness about him which I guess is only understandable considering his background. Managed to pluck the courage up and had a good chat with him during the interval and he opened up a little about his prison life but it was obvious it's not something he's 100% happy about discussing so I felt rather privilaged that he was comfortable enough with me to discuss it. The scars on his face could tell a few stories methinks and there were many home made tattoo's on his arms which most likely were done during moments of boredom in the can.

It was his first time visiting the UK and like most yanks he thought it was a wonderfully innocent and old fashioned place. He had chord changes coming out his butt and I'm sat there with the spotlights on me trying to play by ear - I ain't that good though! But it all worked out okay, fuck knows how. He had a fucking powerful voice, proper blues shouter, so much so that he didn't even sing through the mike half the time which considering the size of the venue and the power of our PA was pretty fucking incredible!

Alvin upset our guitarist by telling him he needed to play from the heart so he had the arse for most the set. He also got a bit aggressive when he couldn't get any food during the second interval but muggins 'ere managed to chill him out because muggins 'ere was the only person in the band pissed up enough to feel brave enough to talk him down. He complimented me on my playing: "you got the feel man", but didn't bother with the rest of the band so I was rather honoured.... and suprised. Rather funny really. I drank more than I should've but bizzarely played better for it.... work that one out....!

Supposed to be taking Alvin out for a piss up tonight which should be fun. Not often ya get to mix it with someone like that in your home town. It's all rather bizzare. Got work at 8am tomorrow but somehow think the experience of listeneing to a guy with his life' tale all night over a beer is slightly more important really so fuck work.

PS: Have you listened to 'Sam Gopels Dream' Crass? Think they're records are like Smurf shit now but it was a band Lemmy played in during the 60's. Gopel was a tablas player too. Please send me a demo if ya get round to doing one because I'd like to know what the sound is like. Cheerz.