The Best of Baz

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Best of Baz

Post by Greatkudu »

jetblacksdad wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 17:49 I'm a big fan, Darkadelic, the new album, is full of great tunes.
Like the Stranglers, they have evolved over the years and straddled the genres.

And like The Stranglers gone are the mad rushes of Love Song, Blackout into more mature but cleverly written songs.
Varying lineups but the key remain s is that Vanian has been a constant and that, I believe, brings a different level of perception of them as band.
Sir off thread can you recommend Darkadelic? Major Bracket.
Summer Dreamer
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Summer Dreamer »

I think some things can easily be overlooked. Baz has great 'stage presence', as front man he holds your attention when the band's performing. He's an accomplished guitarist and effortlessly fits in that 'front man / JJ's wingman' role for the band. In playing style he's reverential and pays homage to the musical heritage of the band. His character provides foundation for a strong relationship with JJ both on and off stage... and not everyone can do that! That there continues to be great interest in the band as a live force and the band continues to play to sell out audiences around the world is surely testament, in part at least, to Baz's contribution over many years.
'Scaffolding pays good bread'
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Summer Dreamer wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 20:17 I think some things can easily be overlooked. Baz has great 'stage presence', as front man he holds your attention when the band's performing. He's an accomplished guitarist and effortlessly fits in that 'front man / JJ's wingman' role for the band. In playing style he's reverential and pays homage to the musical heritage of the band. His character provides foundation for a strong relationship with JJ both on and off stage... and not everyone can do that! That there continues to be great interest in the band as a live force and the band continues to play to sell out audiences around the world is surely testament, in part at least, to Baz's contribution over many years.
Yes I agree with all you say,nice positive comments about Baz.Major Bunter.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

jetblacksdad wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 17:49
And like The Stranglers gone are the mad rushes of Love Song, Blackout into more mature but cleverly written songs.
Varying lineups but the key remain s is that Vanian has been a constant and that, I believe, brings a different level of perception of them as band.
Good point.I know captain hasn't been an ever present but with both he and Vanian at the front I still see the Damned.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Good to see positive comments about the current line ups frontman,I honestly feel especially in the last two years that Baz has worked even harder to tow this bands line and get it all up and running fully but mostly very professionally with still a smile and humour that can't be easy under the last two years events.
They have changed for the better I think with being more open and informative to their fans more with regular rat chats that once apon a time would of been unheard of from this band.
Baz plays guitar that certainly has been right for this band post JE,he plays Hugh's parts as it is on the tin when the set list requires him to do so on the mk1 songs,but he's more than capable who has his own ideas as a guitarist too and rightly so for a band that is 30 odd years post Hugh or why carry on if you keep doing things in the Mk1 mirror.
He's very good on his own creative solo parts who importantly still trys to stay within the right Stranglers path of doing it simple still,i think that's a very important part to his bow with this bands history and traditions of lead creativeness the Hugh way of keeping it simple,catchy,short and sweet that's memberable on the ear.
It's has been impressive and noticeable too with Baz leading the way with welcoming Toby to the family and especially on stage and yes he commands the stage and has presence not the Hugh presence but then nobody can ever be like how he was.
These four members now for me is right in what is their final ending few chapters of this bands long career and it would be nice the more that get behind this band as they approach their 50th because at some not so far off point that will be that.....so for me it would be nice keeping things positive without the so much negativeness that I can't believe being the Stranglers fan that I am.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 11 Aug 2023, 19:29, edited 3 times in total.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Ruby wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 17:36
ThinkTank wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 08:22
Its weird i always thought i should like the Damned especially as they did have a close connection with the band but they just never did it for me. I really love Smash it up but the rest of the songs on the album didn't have the same effect on me and neither songs after. They were great to watch but their music never quite hit the spot maybe i should have another listen
Same here.They looked like my kind of band but I could never quite get into them,apart from a few songs.I've tried but it doesn't happen.😕
Yeah exactly - So many friends have recommended so many albums to listen to and i just cant get into it. I always get the response "How can you not like the Damned !!" I just shrug i don't know.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 18:20
jetblacksdad wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 17:49 I'm a big fan, Darkadelic, the new album, is full of great tunes.

Indeed I can

Beware of the Clown and Western Promise especially!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 11:48
ThinkTank wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 08:22
toilerinblack wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 22:16

Yep I agree.
I've always liked the Damned and whenever i've seen them back in the day they were just great live and yes I really like their new material too,I'll always remember them doing such a great curtain call live love that song so much.
Yes this current line up are still producing a high level of quality material like or loathe the current line up or members that is totally irrelevant to the material itself which tbh I can't think of many bands that can say that especially nearly 50 years in the making now next year....quite incredible.
Somyes i agree too.
Its weird i always thought i should like the Damned especially as they did have a close connection with the band but they just never did it for me. I really love Smash it up but the rest of the songs on the album didn't have the same effect on me and neither songs after. They were great to watch but their music never quite hit the spot maybe i should have another listen
Strawberries is my favourite, with The Black Album in second place. I'm not interested in anything after Phantasmagoria (apart from "Eloise") or anything before Machine Gun Etiquette (apart from "New Rose")
Me talking about liking Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by the Damed from way back when I thought I'd watch them cover that song more presently and I was amazed at how good still they did it.
It's on youtube....."Dr Jekyall and Mr Hyde Night of a thousand vampires "and the whole thing including the stage setting and they way they played,acted and sung it was pure quality with musical proffessionalsim done theatre style so very well....their own way.
He even sat on a chair doing the ventriloquist part in the middle of the song.
10 out 10 to the damned!.....certainly a good watch and listen for any Damned fans who hasn't seen it before and if you do watch it then get ready to be amazed at the end of the song i won't spoil what happens.....you might be surprised!
Sorry back on Baz thread again.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

jetblacksdad wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 08:51
Greatkudu wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 18:20

Indeed I can

Beware of the Clown and Western Promise especially!
I concur with JBD, it's a mighty fine album.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''