Your not so good gig experiences.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Your not so good gig experiences.

Post by jetblacksdad »

Any time i saw Xmal Deutschland. They always seemed to appear at gigs in the latter part of the 80's.

The singer just howled all the time!

They were unannounced guests at a Mission concert back in the day and they came on and she said " I bet zis ist ein surprise jah?"

Like you wouldn't believe sweetheart, like you wouldn't believe..........
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

That reminds me, when I saw The Stranglers at Fontwell Park in 1993 as well as the awesome 999 as support they had another band called "The Church" I think? They were terrible and every song ended with a cheesy guitar solo and their guitarist pushing the neck of his guitar onto the top of the amp rack like he was Hendrix or something.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

jetblacksdad wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 12:25 Any time i saw Xmal Deutschland. They always seemed to appear at gigs in the latter part of the 80's.

The singer just howled all the time!

They were unannounced guests at a Mission concert back in the day and they came on and she said " I bet zis ist ein surprise jah?"

Like you wouldn't believe sweetheart, like you wouldn't believe..........
haha i have seen Xmal Deutschland as well and i have seen the mission so we may have been at the same place but my memory is rubbish these days on finer details. But was it an weekend festival sort of thing looking it up it was possibly reading 89 as thats when i saw New order on the Friday night as well.

and yeah Xmal Deutschland were howling (good description) and really bad
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

theraven1979 wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 12:36 That reminds me, when I saw The Stranglers at Fontwell Park in 1993 as well as the awesome 999 as support they had another band called "The Church" I think? They were terrible and every song ended with a cheesy guitar solo and their guitarist pushing the neck of his guitar onto the top of the amp rack like he was Hendrix or something.

Jim
If it was The Church from New Zealand then did one cracking song Under The Milky Way - otherwise instantly unforgettable (but give Milky Way a listen).
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

I think X Mal Deutschland was pretty good - very of it's time i suppose. The Matador song Hugh produced is great.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
jeanjacketburnel
Rats Rally

Post by jeanjacketburnel »

Aberystwyth University folie tour pt 2.
STEVE
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Some intresting posts and experinaces most of my gig times have been all good tbh seeing loads of bands mainly in the 80s & 90s.
Brixton '90 post Hugh wasn't a good one for me not that it was a bad gig of what I saw of it it was just all without Hugh that i found difficult tbh.
I do remember it started with 5 mins and it was the first time that I had seen Paul and he was doing a fine job it was more me...no Hugh which stayed like that for years until i ever saw them ever again but I came round in the end well I had no choice lol
So it was only ever really Hammersmith Palais 81 that ever really stood out and yes it was really hot as pointed out on here...I remember really hot but worth it and the wait as they were really great that night.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Wouldn't have been '90 toiler, cos the first Paul gigs were in '91.
Here's the setlist so you're right about 5 mins.
Also, and it almost feels mean to bring this up, but you've asked a few times whether they played Laughing At The Rain live, and it turns out you were there when they did it haha.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-stra ... e7f8b.html
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

My least favourite Stranglers live experiences btw were the lacklustre one in Cambridge in 2017, and then the general strangeness of the last time I saw them as Dave is no longer around of course.
I think all the other times were pretty great, with my favourite probably being that December 2004 one at Shepherds Bush.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

toilerinblack wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 18:41 I often look back at an Mk1 gig that was probably my most frightening experiance.
Most of those Stranglers gig for me as a Teenager back in the 80’s were frightening experiences!
A real sense of danger in the air, and most of it coming from the stage :lol:
Shush this is serious
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

parasiteinblack wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 20:03 Wouldn't have been '90 toiler, cos the first Paul gigs were in '91.
Here's the setlist so you're right about 5 mins.
Also, and it almost feels mean to bring this up, but you've asked a few times whether they played Laughing At The Rain live, and it turns out you were there when they did it haha.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-stra ... e7f8b.html
I was at that gig as well and i couldn't remember much about the songs either as i was shell shocked thinking wtf is going on with that lead singer. I think its the only time in my life i went though both emotions at once of depressed and laughing i have never seen anything so ridiculous before. I do remember Brainbox though and quite liking it so i bought the album just so i could hear that track on studio.
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

Had the misfortune to witness Maximo Park couple of nights ago .... terrible but some people seemed to enjoy it.

Thankfully the Pigeon Detectives and The Editors were spot on, before we had the pleasure to see a excellent performance by James :smile: