Dark Matters has it stood the test of time?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Re: Dark Matters has it stood the test of time?

Post by stuartinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 18:34
stuartinblack wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 08:23 Listened yesterday to the whole in the night album must say thoroughly enjoyed it easily in my top 10 albums
Well I agree there are some very good tracks from that album and especially possibly the best post Hugn track for me with time ..."Time To DIe "and an excellent 'Heaven Or Hell" and I also just love Laughing at the rain where Paul's vocals was excellent on that track as they all were on all three I've mentioned,i couldn't put it in my top ten but I'm glad you enjoyed listening to it again.
Time To Die was the one track I wished had been an MK1 track it so up your classic sounding MK1 street for me it's unbelievable and Heaven or hell both would of made excellent MK1 tracks and the sleeve cover was excellent also.....so to be fair to them they did well after the huge shock of being Hugh less.
There is also some great tracks on About time ie Face sinister 2 brilliant tracks
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

Obviously this chat is about DM and has it stood the time 100% also some brilliant tracks
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

stuartinblack wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 19:14
stuartinblack wrote:Listened yesterday to the whole in the night album must say thoroughly enjoyed it easily in my top 10 albums
Where is NC? In your top ten?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Also in my top 10 albums Paul's vocals on that album were superb but that's when Baz started his input with the band and as I've said before it's Baz that's kept JJ and the rest of us on this chat looking forward to 50 years
Ok. What is your Top 10?

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 20:27
stuartinblack wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 19:14 Where is NC? In your top ten?

Jim

Also in my top 10 albums Paul's vocals on that album were superb but that's when Baz started his input with the band and as I've said before it's Baz that's kept JJ and the rest of us on this chat looking forward to 50 years
Ok. What is your Top 10?

Jim

Probably changed 10 times in 10 years but here we go
Rattus and Raven will always be 1&2 or 2&1
La folie
Heroes
Black &white
Aural sculpture
In the nite
Feline
Norfolk coast
Dark matters
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

stuartinblack wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 19:31
theraven1979 wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 19:14
stuartinblack wrote:Listened yesterday to the whole in the night album must say thoroughly enjoyed it easily in my top 10 albums
Where is NC? In your top ten?

Jim

Well I thought I was on my own about baz's input to this band by again bringing JJ back of old and taking this band back to being what they once were before and after Paul.
I agree 100% with what you have said.
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 21:17
stuartinblack wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 19:31
theraven1979 wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 19:14 Where is NC? In your top ten?

Jim

Well I thought I was on my own about baz's input to this band by again bringing JJ back of old and taking this band back to being what they once were before and after Paul.
So what's ur top 10 albums
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 21:17 Well I thought I was on my own about baz's input to this band by again bringing JJ back of old and taking this band back to being what they once were before and after Paul.
Well, he's certainly turned the brand into what they are after PR. Not that that's anything to brag about.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

evonx wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 10:30 What's the use of a post that is just a copy paste/quote?
I have the answer for you

If you edit a post and you are the last one to have posted on that thread it amends with no problem. If you edit too late when someone else has already posted after you it creates a whole new post at the end of the thread in the format you have seen. Its just happened to me on another thread so mystery solved. :grin:
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

mystery solved
Ha, thanks!!
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

NC was a real new start I think. JJ found his mojo back writing most of those songs, PR was at his best, just listen to his performances on the title track and Tucker's. Baz brought in some good songs too. Good sound too. Having said that, and back to topic, i think DM is overall better than Suite and Giants. Both those albums are very hit and miss in my opinion . Some good stuff some filler. DM only gets weak in the middle i suppose, Payday, No Mans ... ok but not really inspiring. Not to mention the cringe of Lines. Still, most of it is really good I think but never expect them to get near the brilliant albums of 77-83. Oh and a better singer would be nice ;)
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 09:43
NC was a real new start I think. JJ found his mojo back writing most of those songs, PR was at his best, just listen to his performances on the title track and Tucker's. Baz brought in some good songs too. Good sound too. Having said that, and back to topic, i think DM is overall better than Suite and Giants. Both those albums are very hit and miss in my opinion . Some good stuff some filler. DM only gets weak in the middle i suppose, Payday, No Mans ... ok but not really inspiring. Not to mention the cringe of Lines. Still, most of it is really good I think but never expect them to get near the brilliant albums of 77-83. Oh and a better singer would be nice ;)
Yes I agree with your view that it wasn't until NC that they found their way with the right and most suited style for them without Hugh that toke the time to find just as it did for Hugh too that I think didn't really find his way until Guilty just like NC was for them,so it's the same for both camps that was always going to be hard after their such distinctive and successful sound they had together as Mk1 for 16 years it was always going to be very hard to follow that up rightly and successfully and for me NC was Paul at his best as a Strangler for sure in my view.
DM is an excellent album but it still has some that wouldn't of made the final album for me like the Lines and Down in it's current vocal format but it's still a beautifully wriiten song by JJ for sure.
The big songs for me have to be Moon,Water,Stallion and more so it does have it's weaknesses to it's name but overall the good outweighs the bad for me only.
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

NC is a good album, but the vocals of Paul just isn't The Stranglers for me. It's the same with Baz singing. DM is also good but nowhere outstanding.
For a possible new Stranglers album I would prefer a completely JJ written one, recorded with his band mates and with additional inputs from some other (well known) muscians, also produced by a different producer as the last few ones.
Nethertheless looking forward to a new album and the band's live performances with hopefully some surprises in 2024.