Dark Matters has it stood the test of time?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Dark Matters has it stood the test of time?

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 17:59
Greatkudu wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 16:33 A new thread possibly needed as fuck all else happening,so someone should do least favourite track on each album, possibly just the ones with Hugh on as after Hugh left for me it was never as good again,but I've said this so much,I'm bootlegging myself.Major Edwards.
No need for a new thread for that, you could just move the last few pages of this one to here:

http://www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums/v ... hp?t=23803
Ok Sir :smt005 Major Kudu just back from R6 blast. :smt005
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 16:09
ThinkTank wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 12:14
toilerinblack wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 11:16
Intresting,I haven't really done an overall bad album list before lol but looking at yours I would pick the same on a few albums that you have too.
On La Folie that would be mine too on a near perfect album,i too would pick In This Place from 10 but For me Too Precious is a special track so i wouldn't of picked that one for me only.
It's funny how some tracks like Enough Time whic I thought was an ok track at time time suddenly sounded so much better years on live.
I thought the live version that JJ and Baz did on the black and White set in 2014 as guess only was an absolutely amazing version which now I often now will play again and really like that particular live version of it that probably i would never play the studio one much,funny the difference between a studio and live version of a same song for seeing that particualr song in a different light.
Oh those albums are in a time order not a worst album order. I was looking for the most perfect stranglers album so i needed to make an impossible task easier. There is much less data to work with when looking at the worst track on each album. I started by thinking if i had to lose one track off each album which one would be it. NMH turned out that i couldn't lose one track compared to the other albums. I decided it on that

If i tried to look at the albums individually and then compare and cross reference tracks across albums it would be too confusing and wouldn't be able to decide one over the other. Mind fuck of a job to try and do that. This way it made an impossible task much easier.
Yes too precious is a great track its why i put reluctant in brackets next to it but its still not as perfect as NMH album in the same way so i included it.

Seeing Live changes everything it does the same for me i definitely like 10 much more because of the live gigs which ties in to i have never seen Enough Time played live (as far as i can remember) so i reckon if i did ,that could have been different as well.
Take a listen to Enough Time on the full black and white set they did and the best vid and sound of it is the Leeds one that I watch and think is so great,ok it's Baz on vocals but theres an excellent echo on his vocals when he shouts your'll hear what I mean when you watch it on youtube and JJ just stands there without really moving playing right up against his amp with all the black and White flashing lights and he looks and plays incredible ....watch it with headphones and see what you think of it and the song in general I think they did a blinding version of it.
Enough Time...02 Acadamy Leeds 25.3.16.
Maybe i will check it out tomorrow
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 15:18 Had DM been an Mk1 album with Hugh playing guitar to JJs vocals on say Water and not Baz would many think it was a better because Hugh was there on guitar and not Baz?
If Dark Matters had been a Black/Burnel/Cornwell/Greenfield album it would have been a completely different album with a different set of songs, different production, different title, different everything.
toilerinblack wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 15:18 Do people think tracks like" In this place" or" Where I live "which I think are jj songs where Hugh was there too better than say "Water "where Baz is there that's no so well liked?
I'm not going to compare "In this Place" with "Water", that's like asking what sort of dogshit someone prefers: white crumbly or brown squelch.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 20 Jul 2023, 11:43
toilerinblack wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 15:18 Had DM been an Mk1 album with Hugh playing guitar to JJs vocals on say Water and not Baz would many think it was a better because Hugh was there on guitar and not Baz?
If Dark Matters had been a Black/Burnel/Cornwell/Greenfield album it would have been a completely different album with a different set of songs, different production, different title, different everything.
toilerinblack wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 15:18 Do people think tracks like" In this place" or" Where I live "which I think are jj songs where Hugh was there too better than say "Water "where Baz is there that's no so well liked?
I'm not going to compare "In this Place" with "Water", that's like asking what sort of dogshit someone prefers: white crumbly or brown squelch.
Each and every musical composition produced by any musician should be judged solely on it's creativity alone,we will all have different tastes,likes and dislikes which is a good place to be in being a fan of this band because after nearly 50 years there should be in theroy something there for every fan and for me only as a Stranglers fan of their distinctive sound from the year dot think they are still staying loyal and true with their sound along too with newness even though it can't be the same band that i once thought were the very best band ever yes.
So having both camps nowday's is good because if anybody doesn't like what this current line up is doing then they don't have to see them or purchase their new material for there's always Hugh to go and see along with his own solo recordings as an alternative.
Over all there is something likeable for every fan to be happy with at the end of the day and stay listening to whatever type or period of music from this bands history they enjoy most.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I can maybe understand criticisms of In this Place but I think Water is great album opener.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Dark matters has for me stood the test of time.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 24 Jul 2023, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

If my Aunt had a cock and bollocks she'd be my Uncle!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Thus confirming Stan's point.

Jim
jetblacksdad wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 11:21

If my Aunt had a cock and bollocks she'd be my Uncle!
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Cricklewood
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Cricklewood »

They both got different styles. I always find Baz a little too overpowering with his guitar tho DM had moments of him tuning it down. But in general Hugh had a more unconventional approach to his guitar playing.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 22 Jul 2023, 17:10 I think there were clear bad albums from this bands history that in my view only like Coup was and WIR and I can clearly get that and understand why it wasn't well recievedl but I for one can't say that with DM either even though for me WIR did have some blinding tracks to it's name and I know I'm in the minority there so it's swings and roundabouts for me only on some of the more poorer past albums that still had a good few tracks on them.
I can only say on this topic from me...Dark Matters has stood the test of time,along too with one of their best sleeve covers for many an album where i think the easter island cover would of worked very well in any of this bands history....great cover.
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 18:06
toilerinblack wrote: 22 Jul 2023, 17:10 I think there were clear bad albums from this bands history that in my view only like Coup was and WIR and I can clearly get that and understand why it wasn't well recievedl but I for one can't say that with DM either even though for me WIR did have some blinding tracks to it's name and I know I'm in the minority there so it's swings and roundabouts for me only on some of the more poorer past albums that still had a good few tracks on them.
I can only say on this topic from me...Dark Matters has stood the test of time,along too with one of their best sleeve covers for many an album where i think the easter island cover would of worked very well in any of this bands history....great cover.
Very well put can't argue with that 👍
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Shock Horror I played the infamous Dark Matters last night with an open mind and really enjoyed it,Wow.Major Turncoat. :smt005