Youtube

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Youtube

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 24 Jun 2023, 23:28
toilerinblack wrote: 24 Jun 2023, 18:47 I think Paul's a great singer/songwriter and a really nice guy but tbh he was or maybe any other frontman on an impossible mission following Hugh who for 16 years of this band was the Stranglers heart and soul of who they were.
For me I just think he was just everything opposite to what Hugh had set in stone as the successful Stranglers distinctive sound that the fans enjoyed and liked who built up this bands following with the sound and image of what this band was all about and had done for so long too, so for me only maybe it was to much of a change in vocal sound,looks,deliverence and presence,for me it was just to uch of a drastic change of both sound and image and especially ljve for me for a long time but did return in eventual time.
Saying that the first album minus Hugh did have some great tracks to it's name and sung very well by Paul too and in his more latter years with the band he grew into the role with songs that did work as a Strangler as NC showed.
I think once JE had left and in came Baz it started to work and for the better for Paul too in only my view but others may disagree with that analysis.
I think once both JE & PR had left the band Baz got JJ back of old and out out the lost Wilderness and way of how this band once and put them back on the right path again in my opinion only.
I think Paul has a great CV to his name for having been with the Stranglers it wasn't a mistake on his behalf would he have had the constant world wide travelling success and recordings to his name had he not been a Strangler for all those years and in some other band instead? I think not.
I think after Hugh they immediately went in such a different musical directional change with vocals,image and sound it was a massive change some may say too much of what was once was and maybe a name change ould of been an easier option but the brand name is their living and for me at that point in time in '90 I did want them them to change the name but that's a long time ago and nowday's on reflection it will be so good seeing them reach that majical 50 years next year and they are still a great tight live act.....so it's swings and roundabouts for me only really.
Overall though I do feel for Paul and Baz because it's an impossible position to be in following Hugh's set in stone footsteps and Paul is a great great vocalist one of the bands best but best is not always necessarily right for a particular styled and distinctive sounding band overall.
I think the band today are so standing on their own different feet and merit music wise as DM has shown to be a million miles away from what the band was producing with Hugh in it for sure that fans will either like or not like what they are doing ...I like what they are doing still today but again it's only my one fans view and take on it all...everyone will think differently.
I think you're optimism is just great i don't think i have ever seen you say a bad word against anyone or anything that the band have done you always look for a good in all. Its a really good way to be actually i try to learn off your outlook in life ha ha but we are all different.

My view lol - unfortunately there is nothing wrong with being so different to the original band if you can still write big classics like the original 4 did. So i don't see Paul or Baz having a very good CV at all as it only hi-lights that they both have just lived off the merits of Hugh Cornwell. A new name a new band was the way to go if you cant compete then do things your own way as another entity.

DM was a success sort of but it will be the next album that will be the most telling if they do write a next one that is. I hate to say this but the upsetting and sad death of Dave before the release of the album brought the band a lot of attention from the media and fans which in turn brought an improved sales figure for the album. There is a phenomenon of how death within the media business that brings short term success for some reason that even the strangers mark 1 wrote about on that La Folie album with "Everybody Loves you when you are dead". Every Dark Matters album review / interview understandably dominated about Dave and the tribute song that JJ wrote for Dave on the album. Not to say its a bad album as it has some moments and probably the better album off their catalogue from what i have heard of it but i don't listen to much so i am no expert of there material. The next album will be the most telling though and they really should be capitalising on the success of DM and look at releasing the next one as soon as they can but my prediction will be a bit of a non event when its released.

Sorry its an awful thing to have to say but its just a very sad reality but Judgement of songs should not be by chart success anyway but i will be looking for a song like the classics that they wrote with the original 4 but i wont be holding my breath.
That's what's good about a forum that everybody has their own different views, likes, dislikes and say on the band and naturally we will all think differently that makes an intresting form I think and yes If they do another new album that will be intresting in what directional stlye wise they will do ....maybe it will be much of the same or not, I think with DM they got the mixed songs very right with some new sounds to it as well which I found refreshing,so it just depends after their big 50 next year what will be their more future band plans are,will they continue on recording new material with this new current line up or not or just tour or not either only time will tell.
As we all know depending on what material they have in their locker or not it does take a long long time nowday's to produce a full new albums worth of songs so we will see past the 50th formation year what will be their intentions more long term for them.
Maybe they will just keep touring the smaller tours with no further new recordings or maybe they will do both which will be nice for the fans who do still want them to have a good night out and see them live and buy the material too.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Baz having a very good CV at all as it only hi-lights that they both have just lived off the merits of Hugh Cornwell.
Don't forget Nellie the Elephant 😛
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

evonx wrote: 25 Jun 2023, 11:29
Baz having a very good CV at all as it only hi-lights that they both have just lived off the merits of Hugh Cornwell.
Don't forget Nellie the Elephant 😛
pmsl :grin: I forgot about that great classic !
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Each to their own views on this current line up and Baz the frontman...
For me he has more than shown to be his own man in what he's brought to the band for decades now whose songs have been nothing like what Mk1 produced when Hugh was in it.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

A Stranglers vinyl memorabilia collector Ken I think his name is who i came across on youtube No More Heroes The punk /post punk channel ... he has a regular great channel on there that's certainly well worth watching i enjoy his stories and collections that the hardcore fans may also enjoy watching too.
The Punk/post punk channel.....YouTube.