Straighten out...great Pelton Arms gig!!

4 More Heroes, No More Heroes, The Meninblack etc etc in ere

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Straighten out...great Pelton Arms gig!!

Post by toilerinblack »

I was watching a pub gig from still I think the best Stranglers live tribute band on youtube where on a Saturday night on the 24/4/23 in London on their current tour they played what seemed like a great nights gig.
I just felt I had to post this praise for what sounded an excellent gig going by the few tracks I heard them play which was a great Go Buddy Go with then a big ending the night song with Sewer where I thought they absolutely nailed them both that was musically flawless, the keyboards parts from Mick in GBG was excellent and the ever steady and reliable basslines and movements was spot on as usual from Shaggy.
The pub was packed and it seemed a really good night,so I just wanted to say on here we'll done and keep going because they really are that good for those not that familiar with them still and Phil's great cos,cos,cos,cos,cos,cos,their gonna survive!!!! ......bit makes me laugh everytime he does that bit in the song.
Has anyone seen them on this current tour ...And what was the set llist like?
Last edited by toilerinblack on 04 May 2023, 02:52, edited 19 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Straighten out...great Pelton Arms gig!!

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 18:59
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I forgot about that gig. I could have probably gone. It's great that there is two great tribute bands now.
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

jason wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 23:33 I forgot about that gig. I could have probably gone. It's great that there is two great tribute bands now.
Steady now :lol:
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

For those who haven't seen them and wonders if will be a good night out ? well I'll tell ya...cos,cos,cos,cos,cos,cos,cos,cos....Their gonna survive!!!!! says Phil lol
This band are on top of their game as they have been for years now and the in between songs banter is excellent to like the real Stranglers.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Don't want to start another thread on their tour this year but more appreciation again for the finest tribute Strangleds band this time not at Pelton Arms which was a great gig ini itself but in Derby and a fantastic version I heard of...Shut Up!!
Spot on from this band that seems to get closer and closer to the real thing.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Been listening to a lot of this bands set from this years tour and it's good to see them moving more forwards in time in the Strangler huge back catalogue and not just from their first three albums.
I watched nearly a gigs worth of great material covered by Britain's best Stranglers tribute band.
I heard some more later Mk1 material with.....
No Mercy,Skin Deep,Always The Sun,Duchess and many more.
I liked the old stuff as usual which they have off to a tea ,Sewer,Go Buddy Go,Shut Up,Heroes,Hanging Around and many more from their earlier days but it's good to see them moving up the years also now.
Great stuff Straighten out and Shaggy the bass player is getting closer and closer to JJ in every department and vocally too. I think Phil does a better Hugh the more earlier aggressive songs vocally better than some of the more later ballad songs... but all his guitariing was spot on as usual from him....great to hear and I've noticed great banter from them to the crowd....both of them full of confidence.
They did a good No Mercy and just a brilliant version of ....Shut up that the crowd really enjoyed and sang a long to the whole songs worth I think the crowd wanted them to play that quick number again and again.
A funny bit was they started to play into European Female and stopped and said no not that one,also someone shouting w......r and PHil shouted back did someone say w......r ? Just like Hugh famously once asked the crowd .....overall I enjoyed their tightl set and musically 🎼 sounded spot on to the real band.Their best covers in the past for me has to be Tank Phil does a great vocal to that and Shaggy does GBG absolutely nailed vocally.I don't think I've heard a single bass note out of place which is quite remarkable I can tell he's worked so hard to replicate every single move,t shirt ,bass playing to a t and a fine art which must have taken years for anyone to be that close in every department for a full live sets worth well done.
This band for me would be lost without him a bit like the real one they both are the bands greatest strengths.
Again great stuff boys....and keep going I always enjoy listening to your live material.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Just listened to some great songs covered on this years tour from Straighten Out..
It's not at this venue but at the Victoria Swndon in Feb this year I think it's on youtube.
They did a great cover of Dave's Dead Ringer..MIck on keyboards did the vocals well i thought and musically they were all spot on as usual.
They then followed that up with a great Bitching....another great night lads well done.