Depeche Mode

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Depeche Mode

Post by Jake »

Lafleur wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 17:46 At the time when Hugh Cornwell wrote the Aural Sculpture Manifesto one of the bands he's critizised was Depeche Mode...
Have never heard this, is there further information?

I don’t mind DM in moderation, not much interest in listening to new material though
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

Jake wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 00:16
Lafleur wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 17:46 At the time when Hugh Cornwell wrote the Aural Sculpture Manifesto one of the bands he's critizised was Depeche Mode...
Have never heard this, is there further information?

I don’t mind DM in moderation, not much interest in listening to new material though
If I remember correctly, Hugh mentioned Depeche Mode as a band "playing with two fingers" (or something like that) in an interview, maybe for Strangled magazine.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I've been really enjoying their new album this week. Most of it is pretty good imo. I'd give it about 8/10. The final track Speak to me is brilliant. I just noticed it was in HMV for £17 though! :shock:
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Lafleur wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 11:33

If I remember correctly, Hugh mentioned Depeche Mode as a band "playing with two fingers" (or something like that) in an interview, maybe for Strangled magazine.
Will have to look out for that.

I wonder what Hugh thought of the “Fire & Water” album by a couple of his band mates. I man this in a complimentary way as I think it’s one of the best, if not the best Stranglers solo effort, but I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to say at times this is a bit like an Ambient version of Depeche Mode, other times are harder version. I feel Dave Greenfield gets completely overlooked when it comes to the discussion of music with synths 8)
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Jake wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 23:21
Lafleur wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 11:33 If I remember correctly, Hugh mentioned Depeche Mode as a band "playing with two fingers" (or something like that) in an interview, maybe for Strangled magazine.
Will have to look out for that.
As I recall it, he referred to "Depeche Mode or thereabouts" with several keyboard players playing with two fingers, and "oh, but Dave Greenfield's got ten fingers". That might have been in the first Strangled I ever received, but I can't remember which issue it was, I'm certain it was Strangled though.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

droopsnoot wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 08:15
As I recall it, he referred to "Depeche Mode or thereabouts" with several keyboard players playing with two fingers, and "oh, but Dave Greenfield's got ten fingers". That might have been in the first Strangled I ever received, but I can't remember which issue it was, I'm certain it was Strangled though.
So presumably it’s going to be a copy of strangled around the time of Feline’s release, will try to find it. To be honest, “Aural Sculpture” as in the Feline free 7 inch, well it is a bit pompous and arguably somewhat pretentious, but I don’t mind it at the same.

In all fairness, I am only a vague fan of DM, not a proper fan, I do own a bit of DM, their better stuff strikes me as around 83-1990. I don’t mind those early hits, but maybe Hugh had a point to a degree.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Jake wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 20:27 but maybe Hugh had a point to a degree.
Yeah it had some merit at the time but the last laugh goes to Depeche Mode!
Let's Boogie
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

markorbit wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 21:19
Jake wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 20:27 but maybe Hugh had a point to a degree.
Yeah it had some merit at the time but the last laugh goes to Depeche Mode!
Haha that’s a good one, Depeche Mode have definitely made some classic songs with good musicianship 8)
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

You could play (founder of Mute Records) The Normal/Daniel Miller's "Warm Leatherette" with one finger, which to my mind makes it far more punk than any "three chords and the truth" rock.

In any case, Depeche Mode have had no less than three musical geniuses in their ranks over the years. Say what you like about Vince Clarke, but he's probably forgotten more about synthesisers than the majority of people here will ever know, not to mention that he had a golden hitmaking touch for a long time. Alan Wilder is a phenomenal, knowledgable musician and incredible at arrangements and production, although I suppose even Vince could teach him a thing or two about synths. Finally, Martin Gore, who at his peak was exceptional as a songwriter and an incredible singer too.

By comparison, Gahan had his job role and did it well and Fletch was Fletch, basically the Bez of the group but stood there clapping instead of dancing like a bellend.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Did Fletch have any musical input in the band? Surely he must have done something?!!! Anyway good to hear them back on good form on the new album. Dave's voice is still sounding very good. A couple of weak tracks but certainly about nine or ten good ones.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jason wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 22:56 Did Fletch have any musical input in the band? Surely he must have done something?!!!
To be fair to Fletch, he tended to play the basslines on the tours for Speak & Spell and A Broken Frame, as Wilder's influence in the band grew, Fletch's role changed into more of a managerial role, while musically he tended to offer the "man on the street" opinion when they were recording.

There was a lot of tension between Fletch and Wilder, actually, borne from the fact that by Songs of Faith and Devotion, Wilder was carrying the band (he was the ONLY member preparing things like the tapes for the live shows while everyone else chose to party) while Fletch was doing next to nothing on the musical side yet getting paid the same amount.

Wilder once remarked that he found it remarkable that the two band members prone to having a scrap (Fletch and Gahan) never came to blows.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'm actually starting to like some of the stuff off the new album.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"