Re-releases

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Re-releases

Post by toilerinblack »

oliverj1999 wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 22:00 So Norfolk Coast, Suite XVI and Feline have all got there re-releases is there anything else we could be expecting in the future? Would love to see a release of La Folie or Meninblack happen although most of it would be Hugh vocals
Would be good to see Baz have a cracking at Ain't Nothin To It and Let Me Introduce You To The Family. What's your thoughts?
No not for me on the two excellent tracks you have named,for me Hugh's vocals owns those songs.
Again musically today's band can match an excellent sound but on the Hugh sung songs no not for me.
La Folie is one of my favourite faultless albums ever and Hugh's vocals on Ain't nothing to it are for me a one off and should be left like that....again only my opinion on two fantastic tracks that you have named.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Sorry to be negative,but just watched a video from a few years ago of Uptown,oh dear possibly the worst vocal Baz has ever done,just appalling,drums awful to,makes you realise how good Hugh and Jet were.Major Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 21:11 Sorry to be negative,but just watched a video from a few years ago of Uptown,oh dear possibly the worst vocal Baz has ever done,just appalling,drums awful to,makes you realise how good Hugh and Jet were.Major Kudu.
Yes like you say it shows just how good those two were.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 22 Mar 2023, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 22:27
Greatkudu wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 21:11 Sorry to be negative,but just watched a video from a few years ago of Uptown,oh dear possibly the worst vocal Baz has ever done,just appalling,drums awful to,makes you realise how good Hugh and Jet were.Major Kudu.
I haven't heard Baz's version tbh...and yes Hugh and Jet are irreplaceable but times and members have moved on and I still believe they have done well on their OWN post Hugh material and that for me has never been in question even when Paul was the frontman it's the Hugh sung Mk1 live material that isn't for me sorry......but everything else post Hugh studio and live sounds just great and all credit to them.
clutchingmyteddybear
Rats Rally

Post by clutchingmyteddybear »

droopsnoot wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 19:07
theraven1979 wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 18:10 Who is "they"? Where do "they" say that?

Jim
Yes, Jim said that. I think it was on the interview he did with Hugh’s drummer Windsor

I've heard either Baz or JJ say that if the band haven't played together for more than a month, then they'll get together and rehearse before gigs. More recently I've heard Jim say that they don't rehearse. I've no idea which is correct.
how did I get down here, well it's a long story
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

clutchingmyteddybear wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 20:03
theraven1979 wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 18:10 Who is "they"? Where do "they" say that?

Jim
Yes, Jim said that. I think it was on the interview he did with Hugh’s drummer Windsor

I've heard either Baz or JJ say that if the band haven't played together for more than a month, then they'll get together and rehearse before gigs. More recently I've heard Jim say that they don't rehearse. I've no idea which is correct.
[/quo
Well they probably rehearse a bit more nowday's what with Toby joining,as for Baz & jj needing to they know the hits set backwards as it hasn't changed much over the years apart from a few being slotted in.
One thing is for sure when they do gig they are one tight band together who put on a bloody good show whatever people think of them.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

FB_IMG_1679449175135.jpg
FB_IMG_1679449175135.jpg (56.8 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
toilerinblack wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 20:30
clutchingmyteddybear wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 20:03

[/quo
Well they probably rehearse a bit more nowday's what with Toby joining,as for Baz & jj needing to they know the hits set backwards as it hasn't changed much over the years apart from a few being slotted in.
One thing is for sure when they do gig they are one tight band together who put on a bloody good show whatever people think of them.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I guess its hard for them to rehearse regularly if JJ is based in France.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Before covid they would get together (a few weeks before the tour would start) to rehearse, determine the songs to be played, work on stage lighting etc.
This would last about 10 days.

Told to me by Baz a few years ago when I interviewed him.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Everyone of this now four piece band is a great professional musician who all get on well together and that fact shows on stage for sure.
Their relaxed,having fun and it's the best I've heard them as a unit for I don't know how long,they really don't need to rehearse much as a guess only maybe leading up to a tour for a bit,just depends on what songs are in the set and the more they throw in unplayd material or ones that haven't been done for ages or haven't before with Toby then yes the more they would need to come together and rehearse the material that goes without saying.
Any new ideas and chats can all be done on zoom or whatever way they do comumicate between the two frontmen from the UK to France which is no problem nowday's.
Again i think they cannot get any better live as a unit but just change the set about and not by just two numbers but by a lot,that would be my only criticism as the rest of their live show .....it's faultless for me.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 13:18 Those albums aren't up there agreed but they're not to be dismissed. Most bands would kill for output like that in their entire career. And a lot of them produced many Top 40 hits.

Jim
jetblacksdad wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 12:31
StanInBlack wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 00:58

I don't think he likes an awful lot after The Raven up until he joined.
Anything after La Folie is just singles really I suppose. Love Feline but know it's a bit marmite and the quality of the last three Hugh albums does not compare to the preceeding output
Dreamtime is one of my favourite Stranglers albums!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 14:32
theraven1979 wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 13:18 Those albums aren't up there agreed but they're not to be dismissed. Most bands would kill for output like that in their entire career. And a lot of them produced many Top 40 hits.

Jim
jetblacksdad wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 12:31

Anything after La Folie is just singles really I suppose. Love Feline but know it's a bit marmite and the quality of the last three Hugh albums does not compare to the preceeding output
Dreamtime is one of my favourite Stranglers albums!
Its a very underated album for some reason? And it was fantastic live to.Major Kudu.