Bands that you just can't take to.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Bands that you just can't take to.

Post by jason »

Yes New Order have made some very good albums.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Ive never owned the LP, but i must have heard it a thousand times the year it was released. It was everywhere.

One track would have been cool, a whole album of his whiney voice over techno (?) keyboards was too much for me. At least it didnt have that stupid football song or blue monday on it, i suppose.

Not a fan.

I think Stephen morris is a fantastic drummer, though.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

New Order have always been a bit of a weird one for me, because I like them while still feeling they're a touch overrated.

I think they did benefit more than a touch for being "the band that used to be Joy Division" and up until the "True Faith" single they seemed to not have a single clue what they were doing, accidentally stumbling across these moments of genius while at the same time being at times frustratingly inconsistent. I think "Blue Monday" is quite possibly one of THE most overrated songs in New Order's back catalogue. For me, it doesn't even come close to being up there with their best tracks - its whole reputation resting on the fact that it was an electronic dance single by "the band that used to be Joy Division" rather than it being in any way a decent song. I've always found it a bit strange that New Order have this very "indie" fanbase that accept things like "Blue Monday" while at the same time you get the sense they wouldn't give the likes of Yazoo, Blancmange or Soft Cell the time of day.

I also think The Cure (who were often compared to New Order) were a far more consistent band, if undoubtedly gloomer even on their more uptempo stuff.

Having said all this, Technique is one of my favourite albums of the '80s and I think Low-Life is a great record. I don't have much time for anything after the "Regret" single, but I have plenty of time for a lot that went before, as spotty as some of it is.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

The press certainly gave them time because of joy division.

New order were the band played between the indie and dance music in clubs i went to. I think it explains the success - they could reach a lot of people on both sides that the cure never could.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 15:36 The press certainly gave them time because of joy division.

New order were the band played between the indie and dance music in clubs i went to. I think it explains the success - they could reach a lot of people on both sides that the cure never could.
Perhaps, although The Cure were playing stadiums in the US in 1989 and I'm not sure that New Order were? That and The Cure weren't really into making club music. The closest they came in the '80s was probably "The Walk", which was written and recorded before "Blue Monday" but released after.
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Sonic Youth

Shite
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Sisters Of Mercy
Mission
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Manic Street Preachers
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Stereophonics
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

Red hot chilli peppers how they are so big is beyond me
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

stuartinblack wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 19:57 Red hot chilli peppers how they are so big is beyond me
I think it's beyond most of the Band Members too!!
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

Rick rubin has everything do with their success. They're like toddlers randomly bashing things without him.