Bands where a 'best of' is all you need

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Bands where a 'best of' is all you need

Post by Jon the Impaler »

porkymeat wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 17:45 Beautiful South, hate to say it but probably The Fall if it can be stretched to a double, Cave's catalogue is far too rich and varied for the Greatest Hits treatment. Oh yeah and The Monkees,
I think with The Fall you are right , done some good stuff but also some abysmal stuff imo.The Clash .....well a lot if what people might say is their best or a greatest hits thing I would not like, I would stick to the first album, bits of the second and ignore pretty much anything else , some people might say Rock the casbah or Supermarket Clash etc might be a best , gut I really can't stand that stuff .Each to their own anyway 😁
All quiet ..........
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Some people would say 'The Stranglers'.

Of course the fans would disagree. I think it's the same for most of the bands mentioned.
Let's Boogie
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

The Fall started having complete albums when Brix arrived IMO. "This Nations Saving Grace" doesn't have a duff track on it. Same for "Bend Sinister". The 90s stuff has the odd patchy song on them but I'd deffo say you're missing out on a long of nuggets if you cast them to the "Best Of" box.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I don't mind Madness - in fact I listen to their albums a fair bit but their album tracks deffo lack the shine of the singles. I think they were purposefully positioned as a singles band.

Jim
markorbit wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 13:23 Some people would say 'The Stranglers'.

Of course the fans would disagree. I think it's the same for most of the bands mentioned.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I think part of the charm of The Fall is that they did whatever the hell they (or MES, more likely) felt like and just put it out and then it was down to their audience to make sense of it or not. Of course, not everything they did hit the mark and I like some of their stuff more than others.

As Jim said above, This Nation's Saving Grace and Bend Sinister are both great albums. Probably my favourite two, actually!
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

The Kinks

Status quo
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Eh, so much of The Kinks best stuff 1966-1970 was on album tracks and b-sides, and they were a GREAT singles band. Face to Face, The Village Green Preservation Society, Arthur, Lola vs. Powerman and the Moneygoround... superb records.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:I think part of the charm of The Fall is that they did whatever the hell they (or MES, more likely) felt like and just put it out and then it was down to their audience to make sense of it or not. Of course, not everything they did hit the mark and I like some of their stuff more than others.

As Jim said above, This Nation's Saving Grace and Bend Sinister are both great albums. Probably my favourite two, actually!
For me the Fall made a lot of good music, I would add Kurious Oranj as a favourite, must revisit some others from their huge catalogue
I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Some of their 90s stuff is not to be sniffed at either - "Extricate" is a great album

Jim
aldinblack wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 14:48
StanInBlack wrote:I think part of the charm of The Fall is that they did whatever the hell they (or MES, more likely) felt like and just put it out and then it was down to their audience to make sense of it or not. Of course, not everything they did hit the mark and I like some of their stuff more than others.

For me the Fall made a lot of good music, I would add Kurious Oranj as a favourite, must revisit some others from their huge catalogue
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

Motorhead
Ace, Bomber, Overkill........?
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Madness - Absolutely is a superb album, one of the best of the 80s for me.
Bunnymen - first four albums are essential I'd say. Well Porcupine is a bit patchy but has great songs like Heads Will Roll and the title track.

I suggest the Rolling Stones have made very few essential albums.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

No Doubt come to mind,I have a soft spot for Gwen Stefani,I love her voice.Major Kudu.