Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

GIGS! Mungo Jerry E.17

Post by C r a s s ! »

Saturday 25th June (in the summertime!)

Mungo Jerry @ The Plough Inn
Walthamstow
London E17
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

He was down to do that Kings Lynn free gig last year wasn't he Gary? Think he pulled out, right?

Hard to believe that was almost a year ago ennit! :?
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

Organ Grinder wrote:He was down to do that Kings Lynn free gig last year wasn't he Gary? Think he pulled out, right?

July 17th, me Mum's birthday.

I was attempting to set up a little tete a tete with Ray Dorset for a wee project I was interested in at the time (he composed a TV series theme tune) but suddenly, the Mungo Jerry gig was all off. Management explained it was off due to Ray's ill health, and then Ray emailed me to say he's outed his manager, and that was the problem.

Kings Lynn, what a gig Organ, Bazza? Best Stranglers gig I'd say.

paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

size]
[/quote]

How bizarre ! Its my Mum's birthday too !

Paul
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

C r a s s ! wrote:
Organ Grinder wrote:He was down to do that Kings Lynn free gig last year wasn't he Gary? Think he pulled out, right?

I was attempting to set up a little tete a tete with Ray Dorset for a wee project I was interested in at the time (he composed a TV series theme tune) but suddenly, the Mungo Jerry gig was all off. Management explained it was off due to Ray's ill health, and then Ray emailed me to say he's outed his manager, and that was the problem.

Kings Lynn, what a gig Organ, Bazza? Best Stranglers gig I'd say.
Certainly the best Stranglers occasion simply due to the company and has to be the most bizzare gig I've seen. OAPS in deckchairs in the mosh pit? You couldn't make it up!
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

I had Fritz with me, who attracted quite alot of (female) attention. We all stayed in the roadway in front of the pub.

C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

On the way back from London, I suddenly remembered this Mungo Jerry gig last night. I thought I didn't want to go, I knew I didn't - I was tired and had been driving for ages... and Mrs Crass was quite keen to get going - but then I thought again. Shall I? Shalln't I?

I only really remember Mungo Jerry for bringing out In The Summertime. It was the first 16 minutes of music on a 45 - played at 33 and a 1/3... I was 7, and I nicked it off my sister. That was Mungo Jerry's Golden Brown, I suppose. I recall the other tracks were very 'rocky'

I turned up Chatsworth Road - and made sure the central locking was on - and then went along Lea Bridge Road - up to Whipps X roundabout and chucked a left and there I was outside The Plough. There were the 2 guvners standing on the corner. They recognised me from spending the night (and a fortune behind the bar) seeing Paul Roberts SOULSEC play a short time back. We all chatted - apparently they were really pleased that Paul wants to play there this AUGUST - and next SPRING, so make sure you catch the band then.

I decided to inquire about interviewing Ray Dorset, like I was going to back in July 2004 for a project back then. So, the guvners took me through the bar and out the back and I indeed did interview the man. 59 year old Ray came out looking like a fit looking fucking 40 year old... and he spent about 30 minutes dishing out the facts - a great abilty to tell a story and recall fact out of thin air. What a memory this guy has. He then said the band had to quickly soundcheck - and we could chat after wards. So tthey did one bluesy number and I was actually blown away. I bet they never had many opportunities to be cheered at the end of a quick practice? Ray camne up and asked us to stay, so we did.

It was 10 minutes to doors opening. We stayed, Although I never expected to stay until the end... Ray noticed me a couple of times and I knew he could tell I was impressed.

All I can say is: If anyone is lucky enough to catch a rare chance to see Mungo Jerry play live, you make sure you don't miss out. No one will be disappointed. It was amazing. Amazing guitar work - a great 4 piece blues band behind him - and he played some superb rock, R+B and blues...

Ray is a great personality, both off and onstage. The only difference between him and Steve Marriott is Steve died because of the usual 70s excesses, and Ray is very clean living and fit. He drank water while we chatted. His only vice was a bag of chips from Wood St - and highly recommended they are too. He paid his dues tonight.

:P

Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Good review Crasser me ole mucker...

One minor point though: I thought Marriott died in a house fire in the 80's? I guess if he was too wasted to get out the house then your statement is probably correct though. Or am I going totally loopy? :?
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

No - you are right Jamie. But yes, Steve's state was the one that killed him.

His last day (April 21st 1991) included boozing and rowing with his wife, Toni on a transatlantic flight, being met by a friend at the airport, going for a meal at the Straw Hat in Sawbridgeworth (I think we know who lives there...), going to a party, where he again rowed with his wife... and so he was put up in a separate bed at this friend's house in Ongar (oh yeh, not there surely) then waking up and phoning for a cab back to Arkesden on his own, going to bed and falling asleep smashed in the early hours with a fag on, setting light to the cottage, and getting up out of bed and stepping into a closet - to be found by the fireman - a Small Faces fan incidentally - by the cupboard door by his bed. If he'd got out of the right side (so to speak) he might have survived the blaze. But that might also have been attributed to smoke inhalation.

The fireman's report was particularly upsetting - he arrived on the scene not knowing who's house it belonged to. Then seeing the photos on the wall of famous rock star colleagues, a guitar, he knew it might be someone famous... and then finding the charred, dimuinitive body of his idol upstairs at the side of the bed.

Steve's next door neighbour still lives there, and she remembers hearing the front door slam around 2 am. She woke when she smelt the fire and dialled 999.

I'm now quoting Paolo's All Too Beautiful here:

"In July the coroner published his report, recorded a verdict of accidental death. An examination of Steve Marriott's blood revealed quantities of valium, alcohol and cocaine.

Toni (Marriott) explained the valium. 'He always tok them when he flew because he was terrified of flying,' she said in the local paper, 'He was not into drugs in a big way. He liked to drink more than anything else.'

As for the cocoaine, my guess is that right up until his dying day, Steve Marriott was leading everyone a merry little dance."

Sorely missed

Organ Grinder wrote:Good review Crasser me ole mucker...

One minor point though: I thought Marriott died in a house fire in the 80's? I guess if he was too wasted to get out the house then your statement is probably correct though. Or am I going totally loopy? :?

Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Interesting stuff Gary, thanks for that.

Stark warnings there against the dangers of falling asleep with a fag on. I did it once but luckily my mate whom I was sharing the hotel room with spotted the impending bungle and put it out.

Moral is: don't allow yourself to smoke in bed whatever the circumstances.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Not even after a good shag? Can`t beat a bit of good shag after you`ve had a good shag :lol:

Jim
Organ Grinder wrote:Interesting stuff Gary, thanks for that.

Stark warnings there against the dangers of falling asleep with a fag on. I did it once but luckily my mate whom I was sharing the hotel room with spotted the impending bungle and put it out.

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

At least Michael Barrymore put out his fags in the pool, as the joke goes. No offense to the Lubbock family, who I deeply feel for, I honestly add.

My uncle Mick dozed off in his pit with a cherry on... and the house burned down with his wife and 3 kids in at the time. They all escaped, (we all lived in the same road in the East End) and they kipped with us on the floor with sleeping backs until the whole street mucked in to repaint the place so they could move back.

Incidentally, Mungo Jerry did GMTV this morning. Superb fucking guy.

Good ol' Ray

Organ Grinder wrote:Interesting stuff Gary, thanks for that.