Your most Favourite JJ sung songs..

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Your most Favourite JJ sung songs..

Post by evonx »

Hardly any bad ones I think, Princess, The Raven , In the End probably my all time faves.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 15:16 Hardly any bad ones I think, Princess, The Raven , In the End probably my all time faves.
Yes all good ones from you.. i also thought he sang a really nice acoustic version of Skin Deep with a female accomplice too,he wrote Reap which is a lovely song but right i thought that Hugh sang on that particular one,so overall he's written so many great songs in his long career and so many too that he hasn't actually sang on at all as well...just a great all round musician.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Time was once on my side.The only track I like from Giants.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

There’re not many Strangler’s Albums with JJ sung songs as the weaker tracks, and many of my favourites are JJ sung, e.g. London Lady, Dagenham Dave, 5 Minutes, Curfew, Threatened, Death & Night & Blood, The Raven, La Folie, North Winds and Never To Look Back from the Hugh era, and more recently, In the End, Unbroken, Freedom, Giants, Water, Breathe.
Overall my “most favourite JJ sung” is probably Curfew.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

i also thought he sang a really nice acoustic version of Skin Deep with a female accomplice too
That would be Pauline Black from the Selector - it's on the Three Men & Black CD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwDDF7 ... MT&index=9
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Bear Cage wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 22:34 There’re not many Strangler’s Albums with JJ sung songs as the weaker tracks, and many of my favourites are JJ sung, e.g. London Lady, Dagenham Dave, 5 Minutes, Curfew, Threatened, Death & Night & Blood, The Raven, La Folie, North Winds and Never To Look Back from the Hugh era, and more recently, In the End, Unbroken, Freedom, Giants, Water, Breathe.
Absolutely.Hugh may have been the main songwriter but arguably JJ's contributions were just as good,if not better.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Ruby wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 22:54
Bear Cage wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 22:34 There’re not many Strangler’s Albums with JJ sung songs as the weaker tracks, and many of my favourites are JJ sung, e.g. London Lady, Dagenham Dave, 5 Minutes, Curfew, Threatened, Death & Night & Blood, The Raven, La Folie, North Winds and Never To Look Back from the Hugh era, and more recently, In the End, Unbroken, Freedom, Giants, Water, Breathe.
Absolutely.Hugh may have been the main songwriter but arguably JJ's contributions were just as good,if not better.
His contributions have been incredible to the band who was the one to think of their name in the first place.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Ruby wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 22:54 Absolutely.Hugh may have been the main songwriter but arguably JJ's contributions were just as good,if not better.
There’s also JJ penned lyrics sung by Hugh (Toulouse, Skin Deep, Reap), Hugh ones sung by Dave (and what great songs those are), and most (pre-Dreamtime) jointly written.
You also have the difference between a written song and the performed song, with the latter often the most important bit (take some of Jet or Dave’s idiosyncratic contributions away and replace with less inventive playing and the tracks would suffer horribly).
The Stranglers are at their best when they work together, it’s the contributions of each and their ability to weave these together that delivers the synergy that makes them so good.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Bear Cage wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 23:34
Ruby wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 22:54 Absolutely.Hugh may have been the main songwriter but arguably JJ's contributions were just as good,if not better.
There’s also JJ penned lyrics sung by Hugh (Toulouse, Skin Deep, Reap), Hugh ones sung by Dave (and what great songs those are), and most (pre-Dreamtime) jointly written.
You also have the difference between a written song and the performed song, with the latter often the most important bit (take some of Jet or Dave’s idiosyncratic contributions away and replace with less inventive playing and the tracks would suffer horribly).
The Stranglers are at their best when they work together, it’s the contributions of each and their ability to weave these together that delivers the synergy that makes them so good.
Totally agree,but you mean what made them so good,as they are a shadow of what they were now.Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

We were lovers is one of his best solo songs imo.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

For me JJ the singer was probably at his best in his early raw young energy years for sure... Curfew,Threatened and so on.
The later years Hugh was more superior for me and better singer and the further it went like 10 it was for me only the Hugh sung songs l liked.
JJ's strengths are his ability to be able to talk through great songs like the The Raven and Time to die like no other for me and also his aggressive type vocal approach like like 5 minutes,Threatened and so on are great,for me the ones that don't work so good for me are that requires a singers vocal range for songs like like Down or In the end which are beautiful written songs that does require a certain type of vocal range to sing those type of songs for me that's not easy with his limited vocal range on certain songs.
You can see a difference in the same song but with two different vocalists and a prime example for me is North Winds sung by Paul and again with Norfolk Coast,again one of britian's finest bass players does boast a very unique style of singing that on certain songs is quite incredible and on others not so good..and for me his finest two has to be....Time To Die and The Raven.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Greatkudu wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 10:39 Totally agree,but you mean what made them so good,as they are a shadow of what they were now.Lt Kudu.
I’d disagree, they may not be hitting the quality of their peak (B&W, Raven, Rattus, MIB), but I rate the Baz albums as up there with, and better than quite a lot of, the rest