Best song seen live?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Best song seen live?

Post by theraven1979 »

Hugh doing Sewer and Walk On By with the Hendrix style psychedelic guitar breaks was quite something. Sadly I don't think we will hear him do those songs live again so if you were lucky enough to witness it then well done!

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

Sewer the first time heard live in 1977.

Was It You? on the Dreamtour (and any time since) is like a different song from the album version.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Miss You at the Bull N Bush 1997,was amazing.Lt Kudu
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

Greatkudu wrote: 31 Dec 2022, 15:27 Miss You at the Bull N Bush 1997,was amazing.Lt Kudu
Hilarious :roll:
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Josh wrote: 31 Dec 2022, 16:11
Greatkudu wrote: 31 Dec 2022, 15:27 Miss You at the Bull N Bush 1997,was amazing.Lt Kudu
Hilarious :roll:
Sorry my Jokes are never funny.Lt Kudu,blame my late Dad. :smt013
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

To get serious as you can about a band,the obvious highlights were always Sewer,Genetix and Toiler back in the Hugh days and some of the brilliant Segues IE from Vice to Toiler and you to Sewer,and maybe JLNOE on the 81 MIB tour with the white strobe lighting,was so effective,that whole tour was one of the best IMHO, later in the Stranglers career of course it was always Jet playing Genetix,but my best memories or best versions are always with the original lineup.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Down in the Sewer that opened the Hammersmith Odeon '81 gig...so near to Hugh i was blown away straight after Waltz faded out.
The whole gig i was on another planet i remember jumping around out of my seat and down the front so near to Hugh going nuts,that gig set me on the road to be a life long fan of this band no question it had that effect on me.
At the same gig we were treated to Second Coming and an explosive LMIYTTF
I always think i was lucky to see this band back in those days because they really were some of the best gigs i ever went to....81-83 the very best!
Also at the palais '81 JLNOE another the best songs ever live.
My best ever live..Sewer,toiler,LMIYTTF,JLNOE,Gentetix,Non Stop,The Man They Loved To Hate.
Two i would of loved to of seen live were...It Only Takes Two To Tango & Everybody Loves You When Your Dead....shame but never will now.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 02 Jan 2023, 21:48, edited 2 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 01 Jan 2023, 20:45 My two top tracks seen live with Hugh as a strangler would have to be....Sewer & Toiler...everytime.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Remember when Hugh was playing all the classic Stranglers hits while JJ and baz were trying to do the tribute stuff. Funny that https://youtu.be/KcTEhy2rEjk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

So difficult to choose. Either Walk On By in 1990, Toiler or the Raven from 79 - 81.

From the last tour I loved Water, for me, a song that is up there with almost anything from the Hugh days.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 02:23 Remember when Hugh was playing all the classic Stranglers hits while JJ and baz were trying to do the tribute stuff. Funny that https://youtu.be/KcTEhy2rEjk

Tribute to what themselves? Lt Cdr Sparks.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 02:23 Remember when Hugh was playing all the classic Stranglers hits while JJ and baz were trying to do the tribute stuff. Funny that https://youtu.be/KcTEhy2rEjk

Yep ....He did just that
Hugh also did an amazing Dead Ringer himself to the great man... it never stopped him doing it when the most said that a Dave song should or couldn't be done best left alone,so what did Hugh do? .....sing a Dave song!
Fantastic!...and a bloody great version of it too i must say.