Bands that you just can't take to.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Bands that you just can't take to.

Post by StanInBlack »

I personally think that Killing Joke should remove the "Killing" from their name, if only for the sake of accuracy.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I never really liked Big Country but I think there's a few fans on here, so sorry!
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

jason wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 20:34 I never really liked Big Country but I think there's a few fans on here, so sorry!
They’re a band like the Skids, always great live but have never managed to quite catch themselves properly on any album.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

jason wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 20:34 I never really liked Big Country but I think there's a few fans on here, so sorry!
I've seen them live earlier this year and it was a very good gig, if a little short. I can't say I've followed their recorded output, and my main reasons for going to see them were that it was a very local gig, and I'd enjoyed them at Reading while waiting for the Stranglers to come on.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 09:12
I've seen them live earlier this year and it was a very good gig, if a little short. I can't say I've followed their recorded output, and my main reasons for going to see them were that it was a very local gig, and I'd enjoyed them at Reading while waiting for the Stranglers to come on.
Not many original members left but neither have a certain other band.I saw them once at Reading Festival in 83 and they were very good,a great band back in the dsy,were a shining light with all the new Romantic shit at the time,with anthemic songs and jangling guitars, courtesy of the late great Stuart Adamson.Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Not many original members left now in Big Country - Saw them a couple of years back and it just didn't work for me I'm afraid. I think they were influenced sometimes by The Stranglers. If you take a song like "The Teacher" is structurally similar to Toiler.

I agree with what others mentioned that they never quite caught the greatness on record but I think there's enough decent tracks to pick through out of their back catalogue.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Strange. I never thought Big Country lacked on record at all on the first two albums.
Let's Boogie
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 20:43 I personally think that Killing Joke should remove the "Killing" from their name, if only for the sake of accuracy.
Woah! Woah! Woah!

Dem's fightin' words!!

:grin:
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

theraven1979 wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 09:57 Not many original members left now in Big Country - Saw them a couple of years back and it just didn't work for me I'm afraid. I think they were influenced sometimes by The Stranglers. If you take a song like "The Teacher" is structurally similar to Toiler.

I agree with what others mentioned that they never quite caught the greatness on record but I think there's enough decent tracks to pick through out of their back catalogue.

Jim
They have a unique sound and I kind of liked it but, a bit like The Alarm, they were always just a little off target for me

By the way. Simple Minds. Anyone see them on Jools Holland. FFS. Talk about a band who have deviated from where they started!!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 20:43 I personally think that Killing Joke should remove the "Killing" from their name, if only for the sake of accuracy.
Explain Sir,why should they? Lt Kudu. :smt013
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Greatkudu wrote:
Not many original members left but neither have a certain other band.I saw them once at Reading Festival in 83 and they were very good,a great band back in the dsy,were a shining light with all the new Romantic shit at the time,with anthemic songs and jangling guitars, courtesy of the late great Stuart Adamson.Lt Kudu.
seen them play a couple of times this summer at the Stone Valleys, still a good live band worth watching with as you say some anthemic good sing alongs, look away look away being my favourite with the catchy jangly guitar.
Never were in the same league as the stranglers of course but not many were.
I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 01:02
Greatkudu wrote:

seen them play a couple of times this summer at the Stone Valleys, still a good live band worth watching with as you say some anthemic good sing alongs, look away look away being my favourite with the catchy jangly guitar.
Never were in the same league as the stranglers of course but not many were.
The only artist in the last few years who comes close to the Stranglers is Ed Sheeran :smt013 joking of course,as Hugh said the Stranglers material when he was in the band was so good,of course it went down hill then got better,but Big Country became big in America I think? Not always a badge of honour.But they had some great songs.So sad about Stuart Adamson ending his life,such a talent.Lt Kudu.