Damned Original Reunion on the cards?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Damned Original Reunion on the cards?

Post by Greatkudu »

I'm sure it was good,Brian has led the Rock N Roll lifestyle so possibly catching up on him,but the original Damned would be nothing without him,so I'm happy he's playing to some big crowds.Lt Kudu.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

It was a great night.
I also missed the first act because it took a bit longer to get to Hammersmith from Norwich than I'd initially thought, but never mind, I still saw three great acts.
TV Smith was excellent, really going for it and the songs sounded powerful with his excellent vocals over the top. Fantastic to hear Gary Gilmore's Eyes especially.
I've been a fan of the Skids for a few years and it was great to see them perform live, especially as the setlist was basically all the songs I'd want to see them do (maybe could have swapped TV Stars out for Pros and Cons or something though). Again, the songs sounded powerful, I enjoyed singing along with all the "YANKEE", "whoa-oh" stuff. Great fun. Kind of wished I'd gone to see them in Norwich the other week now.

After an annoyingly long wait between acts (I was getting nervous about missing the last train, I didn't want to miss New Rose which I correctly predicted would be saved until the encore) the Damned finally arrived. I was grateful that they didn't just play all of Damned Damned Damned in order as I'd seen the more recent lineups do that on more than one occasion and it made the set nice and unpredictable.
The highlights for me were the seldom heard tracks like Help, Sick of Being Sick and Stretcher Case Baby; some classic debut album tracks like Fan Club, See Her Tonite and 1 of the 2; an awesome version of You Know with guest saxophonist; and surprisingly the song that was buzzing round my head all the way was Alone. I don't think I'd fully appreciated the groove between Rat and Captain on that track until last night.
Speaking of Rat - he was on top form last night and it was worth going last night just to see him. The Premier Drummer.
Brian clearly wasn't having as much fun though, it was cool to see him but he clearly was not in a good way. On some songs that he started I had to wait for Captain or Dave to start to work out which song it was. To be fair though, my ears were ringing from TV Smith onwards and still haven't recovered so maybe I should cut him some slack!
Captain seemed to be enjoying himself as usual, and Dave seemed reinvigorated - he seemed at least 20 years younger!

Encore was New Rose; a song I didn't know (Pills by Bo Diddley according to setlist.fm) and the Last Time, which was nice to hear although I couldn't tell it was that until Dave started singing.
The band finished just as I was thinking I'd better get moving back to the tube so that was good timing.
A memorable night anyway, go and see them if you get the chance.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Bear Cage wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 23:52 the limited catalogue drawn from meant I think the current line-up put on a better (and more affordable) show
Agreed on this, I'm looking forward to some 2023 dates, although I'd happily see Rat join the current lineup as he's clearly still a fantastic drummer.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

parasiteinblack wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 13:25 …a song I didn't know (Pills by Bo Diddley according to setlist.fm)…
I think track was ‘Rock En Roll Chicken’, a reworking (new lyrics) by the Babysitters of Bo Diddley’s Pills?
Last edited by Bear Cage on 29 Oct 2022, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Bear Cage wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 14:10
parasiteinblack wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 13:25 …a song I didn't know (Pills by Bo Diddley according to setlist.fm)…
Track was ‘Rock En Roll Chicken’, a reworking (new lyrics) originally by the Babysitters of Bo Diddley ‘s Pills?
Nice one, cheers, I'd not heard it before.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

I think track was ‘Rock En Roll Chicken’, a reworking (new lyrics) originally by the Babysitters of Bo Diddley’s Pills?
Last edited by Bear Cage on 29 Oct 2022, 15:22, edited 2 times in total.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

parasiteinblack wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 14:24
Bear Cage wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 14:10
I think track was ‘Rock En Roll Chicken’, a reworking (new lyrics) originally by the Babysitters of Bo Diddley ‘s Pills?
Nice one, cheers, I'd not heard it before.
Music is identical, slight difference in lyrics. And I could be wrong, I’ll need to listen when my ears aren’t ringing from the sonic onslaught.
manticore
Ugly
Ugly

Post by manticore »

Greatkudu wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 12:27 I'm sure it was good,Brian has led the Rock N Roll lifestyle so possibly catching up on him,but the original Damned would be nothing without him,so I'm happy he's playing to some big crowds.Lt Kudu.
He has some(or one?) Lords of the new church shows coming up as well,doesn't he?
dont get your trossachs caught in your sporran
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

manticore wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 19:03
Greatkudu wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 12:27 I'm sure it was good,Brian has led the Rock N Roll lifestyle so possibly catching up on him,but the original Damned would be nothing without him,so I'm happy he's playing to some big crowds.Lt Kudu.
He has some(or one?) Lords of the new church shows coming up as well,doesn't he?
I don't know,but he doesn't look well to me,I see some review said they were amateurish as they used to be,o can't judge as I wasn't there,but it's Punk not Handel.Lt Murrs.
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

I saw 999 for a tenner in Manchester last night absolute bargain. No more than 150 there. You don't hear them bleating about being owed a payday. :mrgreen:
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Second night was better according to reports and yes, Rat is still a great drummer.
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Five Minutes wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 18:51 I saw 999 for a tenner in Manchester last night absolute bargain. No more than 150 there. You don't hear them bleating about being owed a payday. :mrgreen:
Were they good?