Baz Guitar Eye View

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Baz Guitar Eye View

Post by theraven1979 »

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Baz Guitar Eye View

Post by droopsnoot »

Interesting. I always thought they missed a trick not doing a special feature on any of the live DVDs with something like that, given that whoever edits the footage usually cuts to the wrong person when there's something interesting going on - like cutting to Paul when there's a lovely keyboard solo happening. It'd be nice to have been able to watch a gig looking over Dave's or Jet's shoulder. I recall picking up a Quo 40th anniversary package in a bargain shop and that was one of the features on one of the blu-ray discs in there.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

God that sounds so slow, just checked the Revolver footage for reference, and I'm indeed correct.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

The vocals sound appalling,must have been an off night, sounds like a pub singer.Lt kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

No, that's just what Baz sounds like.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 02:26 No, that's just what Baz sounds like.
Hes better when you hear him live but live recordings show up his limitations.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Live he can be up and down every singer can or does,i have heard him sing Tank very well live he or nobody else is ever gonna be or sound a Hugh that's for sure.
I've heard him sing other songs for example Relentless very well at times and other versions off key and not sounding so good it's all about on the night i've heard the same and worse from Paul at times and he's probably the best vocalist the Stranglers has had they all do at times it's only being human...Hugh being quite the exception i've very rarely heard him off key or a bad night,but it's not easy for any vocalist live i think people forget that and thinking and playing an instrument at the same time too...not always easy the brains thinking twice at the same time even though it becomes easier as the years go by because playing the song backwards like they do becomes second nature and not having to think about a song from start to finish ahead so much about what key and chord changes and sequences you have to play along with your vocals together and there's plenty of musicians who have a problem with that together correctly and rightly in time with your other band members overall,as just a guitarist only for decades i found that easy from start to finish on a song as i'm not a vocalist but for a long time i found out just how hard that is until i got used to the two way thinking,now years on i'm fine with it but i remember starting out just how hard that was and i think people should bare that in mind when hearing live songs from whoever live who play and sing.
When your just a vocalist or a guitarist you've all the time to get your one thing right to the best you can but on a two way level it's much harder and therefore more easier to get chord and note changes mixed up or wrong or singing out of key slightly or out of time,this is why JJ is the perfectionist on rehearsals over the years so they know their complicated structures and sequences backwards and even though he knows the songs inside out for decades i admire his wanting perfection from any rehearsals to their songs live and sets if only more on the newer material nowdays that probably needs the practice much more than the old stuff that needs no rehearsals but do more than they did when Dave was there because of Toby if anything but again it's only my guess on that being the case i could be wrong.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yes fair points,Baz does a good job but he's a guitarist first and he will admit that,the song he really sounds terrible on is GB it's just not his style.Hugh is the only person who should ever sing that,even Paul didn't sing it very well.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 20:06 Yes fair points,Baz does a good job but he's a guitarist first and he will admit that,the song he really sounds terrible on is GB it's just not his style.Hugh is the only person who should ever sing that,even Paul didn't sing it very well.Lt Kudu.
Yes nobody does GB like Hugh for sure that's Baz or Paul in my opinion...Baz has the solo off to a t we all know that and that's a great guitar job done but the vocals are not for me either but you know being their biggest hit they probably think it has to be done but from what i can see and hear most don't want them to do GB live.
But for me this is half the Hugh MK1 vocal problem it really isn't the same and it can't be now that's not a knock but Hugh's vocals are to distinctive to sound half the same or as good as,they all do a good job but i appreciate and like the songs more that is their own material than the old Hugh ones that makes me cringe and in a nice way isn't for me but many may differ there,that's why i like the current line up doing their songs live which they do very well than the old MK1 ones and nowdays i think Baz's input is a lot whose certainly working very hard to keep this band on track and still going is just my take on it all from the outside looking in .....but i could be wrong.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I think I'm getting to the point of my final Stranglers gig,so Leuven on September 28th will possibly be time for me to hang up my t shirts? Lt Kudu. :(
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Greatkudu wrote:I think I'm getting to the point of my final Stranglers gig,so Leuven on September 28th will possibly be time for me to hang up my t shirts? Lt Kudu. :(
Did that about 5 years ago. Never say never though

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 21:49
Greatkudu wrote:I think I'm getting to the point of my final Stranglers gig,so Leuven on September 28th will possibly be time for me to hang up my t shirts? Lt Kudu. :(
Did that about 5 years ago. Never say never though

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I think I've just come to the conclusion that it's time to stop seeing the band after Leuven.Lt Kudu.