Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: RIP Fletch (Depeche Mode)

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 27 May 2022, 18:00
Summer Dreamer wrote: 27 May 2022, 13:57 Their riff in 'New Life' always reminded me of the riff in 'Go Buddy Go'...
Is that the bit that's taken (by his own admission) almost directly from "Hey Joe"? I know some DM songs, but not all that well.
I always remember the classic Master and Servant being played on kids TV if course it's about Upstairs and Downstairs,but have given the band a huge laugh getting away with it,a bit like the Stranglers with GB until JJ ruined it by saying what it was really about, but Depeche Mode became a Stadium band in US and still play to huge crowds,I imagine they will carry on.Lt Kudu.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

Love Depeche Mode, especially the later, darker stuff.
Fletch always seemed the most reliable, least erratic of the group.
I suppose nowadays we should never be surprised by our heroes leaving the stage early but it's noticeable how many people this has obviously struck a chord with.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

droopsnoot wrote: 27 May 2022, 18:00 Is that the bit that's taken (by his own admission) almost directly from "Hey Joe"? I know some DM songs, but not all that well.
No I think the part in question is what you hear as soon as the drums come in. The keyboard part before each verse. I've never noticed before but now it's mentioned I can hear it.
Let's Boogie
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I wonder what happened to him. He broke his wrist recently so I hope it wasn't related to that. I lost a great friend last year after he broke his leg playing five a side football with me. He had a blood clot a few days later. The hospital didn't give him enough blood thinners.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

jason wrote:I wonder what happened to him. He broke his wrist recently so I hope it wasn't related to that. I lost a great friend last year after he broke his leg playing five a side football with me. He had a blood clot a few days later. The hospital didn't give him enough blood thinners.
Sorry to hear that. That's incredibly unfortunate

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

theraven1979 wrote: 28 May 2022, 10:31
jason wrote:I wonder what happened to him. He broke his wrist recently so I hope it wasn't related to that. I lost a great friend last year after he broke his leg playing five a side football with me. He had a blood clot a few days later. The hospital didn't give him enough blood thinners.
Sorry to hear that. That's incredibly unfortunate

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Thanks Jim. Yes it was terrible. Scary to think a friendly kick about with his mates led to his death. His wife said he didn't even want to play that night but didn't want to let us down with the numbers.
Summer Dreamer
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Summer Dreamer »

markorbit wrote: 28 May 2022, 00:53
droopsnoot wrote: 27 May 2022, 18:00 Is that the bit that's taken (by his own admission) almost directly from "Hey Joe"? I know some DM songs, but not all that well.
No I think the part in question is what you hear as soon as the drums come in. The keyboard part before each verse. I've never noticed before but now it's mentioned I can hear it.
Yes, the intro to 'Go Buddy Go' has Hugh's guitar first then Dave's keys mirroring Hugh, building the sound, before Jet and JJ kick in. The synth sound in the intro and repeated through 'New Life' closely resembles Dave's keys.
I read about JJ's admission of the 'Hey Joe' link to 'Go Buddy Go', but it's not a very obvious link to my ears...
'Scaffolding pays good bread'
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I don't know if they was planning a new album. It's been a while since their last one.
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

Summer Dreamer wrote:
markorbit wrote: 28 May 2022, 00:53
Yes, the intro to 'Go Buddy Go' has Hugh's guitar first then Dave's keys mirroring Hugh, building the sound, before Jet and JJ kick in. The synth sound in the intro and repeated through 'New Life' closely resembles Dave's keys.
I read about JJ's admission of the 'Hey Joe' link to 'Go Buddy Go', but it's not a very obvious link to my ears...
It's the bass run but twice as fast as Hey Joe.
Note for note same.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh