The Clash vs The Stranglers

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re: The Clash vs The Stranglers

Post by Jon the Impaler »

strangledinAuch wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 18:11 I'm old enough to have seen the Clash live back in the day
And I have to say,they were stonkingly good
Probably my 2nd favourite band up until London Calling
But quite some distance behind the Stranglers
I saw them for the only time in '79 , not long after I'd seen The Stranglers for the first time . They had Rankin Roger join them for a song ( The Beat was he? ) , bloody loud live but likewise London Calling put me right off them afterwards. I wouldn't now even rate them among my top 20 punk bands , I usually dismiss them or even forget them in that respect ......first album among punks finest but the rest is forgettable imo , bar maybe Rope . I think back then they were probably punks most important band but they blew that and moved on , obviously to bigger ( not better ) things . Mind you I sort of contradict myself by saying it's the words that matter as much as the music in punk , as I don't listen to the Clash words later on as I dislike the music intensely.
For a brief while a great band !
All quiet ..........
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I couldn't ever imagine having a musical diet that just consisted of music that punk purists considered to be "real punk", for me that would be like having an actual diet that solely consisted of white bread, or having a family tree that looked like a stump. Just really boring, self-referential to the nth degree and no progress or growth whatsoever.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 00:12 I couldn't ever imagine having a musical diet that just consisted of music that punk purists considered to be "real punk", for me that would be like having an actual diet that solely consisted of white bread, or having a family tree that looked like a stump. Just really boring, self-referential to the nth degree and no progress or growth whatsoever.
I know lots of people who look like they have come from tree stumps!!!

And yes, the definition of "punk". Good lord, we don't want to go there do we?
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 10:31
StanInBlack wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 00:12 I couldn't ever imagine having a musical diet that just consisted of music that punk purists considered to be "real punk", for me that would be like having an actual diet that solely consisted of white bread, or having a family tree that looked like a stump. Just really boring, self-referential to the nth degree and no progress or growth whatsoever.
I know lots of people who look like they have come from tree stumps!!!

And yes, the definition of "punk". Good lord, we don't want to go there do we?
:lol: :lol:

...and no we don't. In a bizarre way of history repeating itself there are similar discussions going on all over the place about what is or isn't "Britpop", and it's equally tedious. Some folks get more than a bit hung up about what boxes their favourite music goes in.
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

yeah,but your too young to have seen any decent band

what bread are you chewing on at the moment?

scaffolding pays well :lol:
See You At The Bar
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

strangledinAuch wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 19:09 yeah,but your too young to have seen any decent band
Yeah, but it's "you're" and I've seen plenty of decent bands.
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

yeah,but Bros don't count 😂
See You At The Bar
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

strangledinAuch wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 20:53 yeah,but Bros don't count 😂
You're implying that Bros are a "decent band" and fair enough if that's what you think, but it's an opinion I disagree with :smile:

(and nor have I ever seen Bros live for that matter, in fact I'd forgotten about them until you brought 'em up so clearly they're in your thoughts a lot.)
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 20:05
You're implying that Bros are a "decent band" and fair enough if that's what you think, but it's an opinion I disagree with :smile:

(and nor have I ever seen Bros live for that matter, in fact I'd forgotten about them until you brought 'em up so clearly they're in your thoughts a lot.)
I think we need a Bros verses the Stranglers thread :smt005
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 08:27
StanInBlack wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 20:05

I think we need a Bros verses the Stranglers thread :smt005
We don't.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I mean it’s the stranglers obviously

The Clash had good songs, it’s taken me a good decade to contemplate listening to again, due to the fact their songs remind me too much of fake toxic people who hide behind the supposed message of The Clash.

Played the first album for the first time in ages back in the summer, some really great songs; Career Opportunities, London’s Burning, I’m so bored with the USA, White Riot,Garageland, a bloody phenomenal cover of Police & Thieves, but as an album it’s pretty patchy. Give em enough Rope, is Ropey with a couple of good un’s Stay Free, Safe European Home. London Calling is more of a consistent album, but it’s basically overpraised. Sandinista, could probably gladly not listen to again even for the half a dozen or so alright numbers. Combat Rock, can never decide if I like this album or not really, and have still never listened to Cut the crap. Some of the best Clash numbers are non album tracks Armageddon Time and White Man in Hammersmith.

Not gonna lie, despite various reasons to find The Clash irritating, they did produce a few 5 stars songs, but albums - no way. The Stranglers on the other hand released at least 7 or 8 albums I see as faultless and unlike The Clash never set themselves up to be something they clearly weren’t. Joe Strummer was no doubt a great guy, but perhaps the original Trustafarian.

Oddly enough I got thinking about the unfortunate conflict between The Clash and Stranglers recently. I was listening to a podcast following the history of Brixton, and Paul Simonon was on it. Talking about his parents being open minded, unlike a lot of people in England at the time, having black friends and hearing Jamaican ska records for the first time, the impact it had on him as a bass player. I don’t think he was a phenomenal bass player, but some of the songs, especially reggae numbers like Guns of Brexit I mean Brixton, now that’s a good bass riff. It was interesting hearing what Paul Simonon had to say, and I do believe him and JJ recently had friendly words together. It does seem very unfortunate that there was this posturing and probably misunderstanding, not helped by cliques and bravado
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Jake wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 21:30 I mean it’s the stranglers obviously

The Clash had good songs, it’s taken me a good decade to contemplate listening to again, due to the fact their songs remind me too much of fake toxic people who hide behind the supposed message of The Clash.

Played the first album for the first time in ages back in the summer, some really great songs; Career Opportunities, London’s Burning, I’m so bored with the USA, White Riot,Garageland, a bloody phenomenal cover of Police & Thieves, but as an album it’s pretty patchy. Give em enough Rope, is Ropey with a couple of good un’s Stay Free, Safe European Home. London Calling is more of a consistent album, but it’s basically overpraised. Sandinista, could probably gladly not listen to again even for the half a dozen or so alright numbers. Combat Rock, can never decide if I like this album or not really, and have still never listened to Cut the crap. Some of the best Clash numbers are non album tracks Armageddon Time and White Man in Hammersmith.

Not gonna lie, despite various reasons to find The Clash irritating, they did produce a few 5 stars songs, but albums - no way. The Stranglers on the other hand released at least 7 or 8 albums I see as faultless and unlike The Clash never set themselves up to be something they clearly weren’t. Joe Strummer was no doubt a great guy, but perhaps the original Trustafarian.

Oddly enough I got thinking about the unfortunate conflict between The Clash and Stranglers recently. I was listening to a podcast following the history of Brixton, and Paul Simonon was on it. Talking about his parents being open minded, unlike a lot of people in England at the time, having black friends and hearing Jamaican ska records for the first time, the impact it had on him as a bass player. I don’t think he was a phenomenal bass player, but some of the songs, especially reggae numbers like Guns of Brexit I mean Brixton, now that’s a good bass riff. It was interesting hearing what Paul Simonon had to say, and I do believe him and JJ recently had friendly words together. It does seem very unfortunate that there was this posturing and probably misunderstanding, not helped by cliques and bravado
Jake, just wanted to say your posts over the past couple of days have been a breath of fresh air. Some really interesting and excellent points made.
Definitely agree on Clash albums being patchy and none that I would say were five stars either, although I like a very large number of Clash songs.
Hope this isn't too cliquey!
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"