Ground control Paris

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Ground control Paris

Post by Yanders »

try saying that to JJ one to one and I wonder what his reaction would be?
He'd probably just roll his eyes. We are safe, if that's what you are worried about.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yanders wrote:
try saying that to JJ one to one and I wonder what his reaction would be?
He'd probably just roll his eyes. We are safe, if that's what you are worried about.
I reckon he might agree and ask you what your point is

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Manc In Black wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 20:31
Greatkudu wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 19:25
toilerinblack wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 18:45
That's a true fact as you pointed out that at the point of Hugh's departure in '90 two of the original line up had left the band what with Hans as well as Hugh so does that make MK11 a tribute band to then what with two originals having left the band at that point in time in '90?
For me they can never be the same from '90 but i am still a fan and supporting the great music they are still producing and are and can never be a tribute band and the whole talk of them being in the same light as Straighten out is well basically an insult to the real band in just my opinion one is a proper tribute band and the other cannot be one,but it's only my view on an ever going and lasting entity that has never ever stopped at any point since '74 - present that has seen many members coming and going to this band which is a changing one but still the Stranglers full stop.I never heard them being mentioned as a tribute one when two new members came in after Hugh left breaking up the original line up for good making them sound nothing like how the original band was,so it depends on how you view what a tribute band is really...swings and roundabouts i think.
But i do think that Straighten out sounds more like MK1 than MK11 did playing the MK1 material live.
Sir I agree with all you say, nothing to add which is unlike me. Lt Kudu :smt005
Agreed
I will point out that a tribute Band in my world consists of musicians who weren't part of the original Band.
You are pointing out the one fact that i keep on saying on here too and that is a band cannot be a tribute one if there is even just one original member in it it therefore cannot be a tribute band i agree there that's fact at the end of the day a tribute band is a non member band honouring the music of the real one as it states being fact in a dictionary.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 17:33
Greatkudu wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 19:25

Sir I agree with all you say, nothing to add which is unlike me. Lt Kudu :smt005
Agreed
I will point out that a tribute Band in my world consists of musicians who weren't part of the original Band.
You are pointing out the one fact that i keep on saying on here too and that is a band cannot be a tribute one if there is even just one original member in it it therefore cannot be a tribute band i agree there that's fact at the end of the day a tribute band is a non member band honouring the music of the real one as it states being fact in a dictionary.
Yes and Baz and Jim have earned the right to be called Stranglers.Lt Kudu, Toby and honary Strangler.Lt kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 17:51
toilerinblack wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 17:33

Agreed
Yes and Baz and Jim have earned the right to be called Stranglers.Lt Kudu, Toby and honary Strangler.Lt kudu.
Yes each to their own on the current members but for sure in my eyes and i will always stand by the fact that with over 30 years between the two of them giving service to this band they are more than real stranglers,baz having been one longer than when Hugh was in it,now does anything post '90 come even close to the fab four for me no but i still love this band and still enjoy what they are still producing and give a dam good live night out even though i no longer will see that part of it but credit where it's due for me though as only one fan's worth.
Anyway what an entrance to this gig and a thumpin start with Water fantastic opener from the Stranglers who still are....lol
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 17:33 You are pointing out the one fact that i keep on saying on here too and that is a band cannot be a tribute one if there is even just one original member in it
...and as pointed out to you a million times, yes it can.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 23:39
toilerinblack wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 17:33 You are pointing out the one fact that i keep on saying on here too and that is a band cannot be a tribute one if there is even just one original member in it
Wrong wrong wrong wrong again. Lt Kudu. :smt005
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

StanInBlack wrote:
Like all the other tribute bands with one member. XSlf, EXTC etc etc

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 23:39
Stan. when you look around you and everyone around you tells you that you are wrong, maybe you are?
Baz has made four studio albums with The Stranglers name above him. He is a Strangler. Jim was handed the sticks by Jet and has made an album as The Stranglers. It just CANNOT be a tribute band!

New Model Army. Just one founder member. Tribute band?
The Ants. Second album . MASSIVE. One man and a new band. Tribute?
Human League ditto

I mean, add to the list of "tribute" bands that have had HUGE international success and happen to have someone in the band that was there at the start............

C'Mon. Time to change the record Chap!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 11:23 Stan. when you look around you and everyone around you tells you that you are wrong, maybe you are?
The thing is that when it comes to the current band calling itself "The Stranglers" I don't think that I am.
jetblacksdad wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 11:23 The Ants. Second album . MASSIVE. One man and a new band. Tribute?
Human League ditto
Different sets of circumstances for both. With Kings of the Wild Frontier and Dare respectively, both acts were - very quickly and early in their career - make a break from their past and were able to re-establish themselves to a degree where not only were they very successful, but the majority of people consider those line-ups to be the "classic" line-ups. Also, both acts retained at least their original frontman. Compared to JJ Burnel & Friends who lost their original frontman decades ago, are in the twilight years of their career and are focusing on touring "the hits" with some inconsequential new one thrown in on occasion that nobody cares about except the absolute diehards, who are the only ones that'll defend this line-up.

I mean, forgive me, but I don't see much discussion of the actual gig in this thread, just folks getting defensive that some don't like and/or don't consider it to be "The Stranglers" ... and so what? People are going to have opinions on this whether you agree with them or not. Deal with it.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 11:52
jetblacksdad wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 11:23 Stan. when you look around you and everyone around you tells you that you are wrong, maybe you are?
The thing is that when it comes to the current band calling itself "The Stranglers" I don't think that I am.
jetblacksdad wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 11:23 The Ants. Second album . MASSIVE. One man and a new band. Tribute?
Human League ditto
Different sets of circumstances for both. With Kings of the Wild Frontier and Dare respectively, both acts were - very quickly and early in their career - make a break from their past and were able to re-establish themselves to a degree where not only were they very successful, but the majority of people consider those line-ups to be the "classic" line-ups. Also, both acts retained at least their original frontman. Compared to JJ Burnel & Friends who lost their original frontman decades ago, are in the twilight years of their career and are focusing on touring "the hits" with some inconsequential new one thrown in on occasion that nobody cares about except the absolute diehards, who are the only ones that'll defend this line-up.

I mean, forgive me, but I don't see much discussion of the actual gig in this thread, just folks getting defensive that some don't like and/or don't consider it to be "The Stranglers" ... and so what? People are going to have opinions on this whether you agree with them or not. Deal with it.
No we all deal with it as you say, it's you who always twists it around to its not the Stranglers, as Hugh says Banging on the same old beat, change the stylus maybe? Lt Kudu 😂
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 12:02 No we all deal with it as you say, it's you who always twists it around to its not the Stranglers, as Hugh says Banging on the same old beat, change the stylus maybe? Lt Kudu 😂
You're always more than welcome to talk about the gig, Kudu, which I'm very much noticing you NOT doing.