Birmingham

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Birmingham

Post by strangledinAuch »

theraven1979 wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 18:16 Yep. The guitar parts he plays are almost robot like copies just like on the record. Prime example I guess is the intro on Toiler.

Jim
Yanders wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 17:08
Well "copying" implies that he's trying to sing and play live exactly as Hugh did live.
And I don't think he is doing that at all.
both JJ and Baz have said that it isn't Bazs place to change anything about the tracks. Baz doesn't play exactly how Hugh would live because he isn't the same player and vocalist and has stated he cannot change anything substantial as Hugh did and does.

It's an often written on here that what people like about baz is that he's pretty faithful to the original songs. That's copying hughs original work. The fact that Hugh wouldn't play like that live is neither here nor there.
Play the guitar,do you Jim?
See You At The Bar
Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Halifax Linda »

We’ll I can Sing play guitar bass and keyboards
And look just like I did 40 years ago!!!!
Do you think I’m in with a chance?
( Also drum)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

strangledinAuch wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 18:16 Yep. The guitar parts he plays are almost robot like copies just like on the record. Prime example I guess is the intro on Toiler.

Jim
Yanders wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 17:08 both JJ and Baz have said that it isn't Bazs place to change anything about the tracks. Baz doesn't play exactly how Hugh would live because he isn't the same player and vocalist and has stated he cannot change anything substantial as Hugh did and does.

It's an often written on here that what people like about baz is that he's pretty faithful to the original songs. That's copying hughs original work. The fact that Hugh wouldn't play like that live is neither here nor there.
Play the guitar,do you Jim?
Yeah. I don't play drums though if that helps?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Halifax Linda »

There you go
You Me Kudu JJ
We are the next Stranglers!!!
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 15:38
Skindeep81 wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 00:38 Stan come on man, are you really saying they hired him just because he was available and up for it?
I don't recall hearing about them auditioning hordes of drummers to find a suitable replacement, do you?
True. But do they run every decision past you my dear?

I believe that the Management will do all that work behind the scenes
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

theraven1979 wrote:Yep. The guitar parts he plays are almost robot like copies just like on the record. Prime example I guess is the intro on Toiler.

Jim
Yanders wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 17:08
Well "copying" implies that he's trying to sing and play live exactly as Hugh did live.
And I don't think he is doing that at all.
both JJ and Baz have said that it isn't Bazs place to change anything about the tracks. Baz doesn't play exactly how Hugh would live because he isn't the same player and vocalist and has stated he cannot change anything substantial as Hugh did and does.

He is copying the recorded output of the original 4 Stranglers. As a live performer he's not pretending to be Hugh Cornwell.
I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

aldinblack wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:Yep. The guitar parts he plays are almost robot like copies just like on the record. Prime example I guess is the intro on Toiler.

Jim
Yanders wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 17:08 both JJ and Baz have said that it isn't Bazs place to change anything about the tracks. Baz doesn't play exactly how Hugh would live because he isn't the same player and vocalist and has stated he cannot change anything substantial as Hugh did and does.

He is copying the recorded output of the original 4 Stranglers. As a live performer he's not pretending to be Hugh Cornwell.
He's not copying the output of 4 members merely one. He's good but not that good!

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

People can say and have their likes and dislike about Baz and that's fair enough that's what a forum is all about, but for me as a guitarist in my opinion i think technically he's a better guitarist than Hugh who does play on his own merit,quality and style on post '90 material for sure with a very good style of play at that that has nothing at all with a Hugh way of playing,he's not copying previous members at all in my opinion who yes will play the MK1 material how they should be played, how else is he meant to play Hugh's guitar parts like? i think he's in a no win situation after Hugh just as the same goes for any vocalist post '90.
Baz plays the MK1 material well and correctly in the style they were written in to be played like, so therefore he has done his job very well in my view especially following a band that i think were lost in improvisation and identity with MK1's live material post '90 with MK11,so for me as just one fan i thank him for returning the band back to how the old ones should sound like again and were written to be played like without the improvisation of MK1's material live post '90 that for me made the songs i felt lose their former identity from what this once founding band had worked hard to create with their unique and distinctive style of sound that they had for the previous 16 years pre '90.
On the more recent albums say the last three or four his guitaring is nothing like Hugh's style of play so there's no copying or trying to be like the former frontman there from what i can hear and see of it all who also plays with a completely different set of mixtured electric and acoustic guitars and effects who also plays the harmonica too that no other former frontman did or could either,but obviously when they play live with the Mk1 tracks Baz will return to play them how they should be played which i think is how most fans still want to hear them sounding like with all the solo's being played correctly and in all the right places and it's timing too sounding exactly how it does on the record,i could be wrong but i'm guessing that's how the majority of fans would want the old song's to sound like live when they see them at a gig.
Baz is an excellent guitarist i think in his own right and merit that isn't questionable in my opinion and whoever he has previously played with and for has absolutely nothing to do and irrelevant with the quality musician he is today with this band and everybody has to start somewhere and build your career up with gained experience and quality and that's exactly what he's done i think ,in fact from past experience myself the more bands and musicians you play with the better musician you become and are for sure i think gaining invaluable experience along the way which i what i believe has made him the great player he is today, but again everybody to their own opinions,likes and dislikes as usual of this band..this is just my one small view on it.