This current Stranglers is still The Stranglers.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: This current Stranglers is still The Stranglers.

Post by StanInBlack »

I can't help but feel that for some fans, The Stranglers "brand" has been part of their lives for so long and they're so used to the routine of going to gigs etc. that it's become irrelevant who is actually in the band. For some, it would seem that it's not actually important who is in the band, as long as that link to their youth ("The Stranglers" brand) doesn't die and the party continues at all costs with no regard for credibility or authenticity as long as they can attend a gig that has "The Stranglers" written on the ticket (even if it's a stretch to call the band "The Stranglers", which I think is the case when it comes to this current line-up) ... I mean, this is what it has essentially come to.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 00:54 I can't help but feel that for some fans, The Stranglers "brand" has been part of their lives for so long and they're so used to the routine of going to gigs etc. that it's become irrelevant who is actually in the band. For some, it would seem that it's not actually important who is in the band, as long as that link to their youth ("The Stranglers" brand) doesn't die and the party continues at all costs with no regard for credibility or authenticity as long as they can attend a gig that has "The Stranglers" written on the ticket (even if it's a stretch to call the band "The Stranglers", which I think is the case when it comes to this current line-up) ... I mean, this is what it has essentially come to.
That's an interesting point and it may be the reason for some. I'm okay with the current line up, its nothing to do with going to a gig though, they are few and far between for me.

For me, you could say that the Early Stranglers MKI "Music Style" is a big part of my life and youth. So in my case, all was okay up till Aural Sculpture, then nothing of interest till Norfolk Coast.

At that point all would have been good with me for them to continue as a fivesome. Though I would have had issues at a gig seeing PR singing what Hugh and JJ would normally have sung. I never saw PR live. But I don't have real issues with Baz singing the Hugh songs, maybe because of the complete lack of any flamboyancy that PR seemed to have had.

Overall, its about the recorded music for me, not the gigs. I've mentioned before that going to a Stranglers gig now days seems like the same gig again and again, and I would prefer for them to play a vast majority of post Baz tunes.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

I’d love to see gigs with just post HC tunes. Plenty of material to choose from.
Wouldn’t be such a commercial draw of course, but that’s showbiz folks.

For me, instrumentally speaking , it was the bass and keyboards that drew me into the band.
This is why I had no doubts when I originally bought my ticket for what would be the last full tour.
Circumstances have overtaken us, and it’s become something more poignant.

As JJ said recently, he and Baz will continue to write, and they will decide if it comes under the Stranglers banner. If it is up to the standard of the latest album, count me in regardless of the name on my LP/ spotify list.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
teshka
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by teshka »

Having watched part of The Brit Awards last night. I realise how wonderful The Stranglers are past and present. Bands evolve and fans evolve with them. I remember when Feline came out and feeling disappointed because it was not The Stranglers I knew. It took a while but I came to love the album because it was different. Indeed had the band not kept reinventing themselves I may well have lost interest. Few bands that have survived as long as the Stranglers have their original lineups. Hawkwind have had over 40 musicians. Only Mick Fleetwood is original in Fleetwood Mac, John Mcvie joining in late 67. Jefferson Starship ended up with no original members from Jefferson Airplane.
Having watched The Stranglers live since 1979, they sound better than ever. For me it is about the music as well as the personalities. Dave Greenfield's contribution to The Stranglers cannot be replaced but I for one am happy that his musical legacy lives on through Toby Hounsham who has proved himself more than capable of delivering those superb keyboard runs and swirls that are key (excuse the pun) to The Stranglers sound. Long Live The Stranglers.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 00:54 I can't help but feel that for some fans, The Stranglers "brand" has been part of their lives for so long and they're so used to the routine of going to gigs etc. that it's become irrelevant who is actually in the band. For some, it would seem that it's not actually important who is in the band, as long as that link to their youth ("The Stranglers" brand) doesn't die and the party continues at all costs with no regard for credibility or authenticity as long as they can attend a gig that has "The Stranglers" written on the ticket (even if it's a stretch to call the band "The Stranglers", which I think is the case when it comes to this current line-up) ... I mean, this is what it has essentially come to.
Wrong again, very condescending to fans again, of course they care who is in the band, it's just they know the situation and still enjoy seeing the Stranglers yes the Stranglers not JJ and his hired hands, you don't and you have made it clear a zillion times, but others don't agree and get alot of enjoyment by seeing the band live still and whats wrong with that? Baz and Jim have earned their stripes and Toby doing an amazing job in tribute to Dave, do you think people are going to see them just because it's routine? No it's because they are still a fucking great band playing great songs old and new, something for everyone. Hail Hail the Stranglers. Lt Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

teshka wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 09:58 Having watched part of The Brit Awards last night. I realise how wonderful The Stranglers are past and present. Bands evolve and fans evolve with them. I remember when Feline came out and feeling disappointed because it was not The Stranglers I knew. It took a while but I came to love the album because it was different. Indeed had the band not kept reinventing themselves I may well have lost interest. Few bands that have survived as long as the Stranglers have their original lineups. Hawkwind have had over 40 musicians. Only Mick Fleetwood is original in Fleetwood Mac, John Mcvie joining in late 67. Jefferson Starship ended up with no original members from Jefferson Airplane.
Having watched The Stranglers live since 1979, they sound better than ever. For me it is about the music as well as the personalities. Dave Greenfield's contribution to The Stranglers cannot be replaced but I for one am happy that his musical legacy lives on through Toby Hounsham who has proved himself more than capable of delivering those superb keyboard runs and swirls that are key (excuse the pun) to The Stranglers sound. Long Live The Stranglers.
Here Here Sir, agree with all you say. Lt Kudu. :smt006
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

I think this is spot on for a lot, if not the majority of the current fan base, not just some of them. And - in their eyes- the credibility and authenticity comes from the fact that all new members of the band post Hugh have been appointed and annointed by the three original members still left in the band. The only exception to this of course is Toby and I suspect that is why the Pam statement came out
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I guess this is why bands like Dr Feelgood still play live as people accept the guys in the band as "appointed". Not for me thanks but enjoy it all the same.

Jim
BankMan wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 10:09
I think this is spot on for a lot, if not the majority of the current fan base, not just some of them. And - in their eyes- the credibility and authenticity comes from the fact that all new members of the band post Hugh have been appointed and annointed by the three original members still left in the band. The only exception to this of course is Toby and I suspect that is why the Pam statement came out
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 10:03 do you think people are going to see them just because it's routine?
I'm certainly not. In fact it sometimes irritates me a little bit that they play on dates when I'd normally be doing something that is my routine, like Saturday night gigs in Manchester that stop me doing what I normally do on a Saturday night. I usually just about start getting used to the break in routine by my last gig of the tour.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:I can't help but feel that for some fans, The Stranglers "brand" has been part of their lives for so long and they're so used to the routine of going to gigs etc. that it's become irrelevant who is actually in the band. For some, it would seem that it's not actually important who is in the band, as long as that link to their youth ("The Stranglers" brand) doesn't die and the party continues at all costs with no regard for credibility or authenticity as long as they can attend a gig that has "The Stranglers" written on the ticket (even if it's a stretch to call the band "The Stranglers", which I think is the case when it comes to this current line-up) ... I mean, this is what it has essentially come to.
ImageImage
I Hate You !
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

theraven1979 wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 10:15 I guess this is why bands like Dr Feelgood still play live as people accept the guys in the band as "appointed". Not for me thanks but enjoy it all the same.
I think there's probably something in that - I saw them supporting the Stranglers whenever it was that they did that, and it was great. A mate of mine went to see them in a local theatre on their own tour, and enjoyed it. Neither of us have seen them with the original line-up, my only knowledge of them is from seeing old clips on the TV and the odd song that Wilko did, but it was still an enjoyable gig.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Final time I shall say this, you go or you don't end of. If you don't like it fine but it's moon River, moon River, moon River.Lt Kudu and yes I nicked that bit from Hugh ie the moon River bit. Lt Kudu still in my original lineup of one. :smt005