XTC

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Re: XTC

Post by markorbit »

Not familiar with everything they've done but I have a special fondness for "King For A Day". Great middle-eight too.
Let's Boogie
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Funnily enough, that's one thing that I've noticed in general about XTC songs - both Partridge and Moulding (but especially Partridge) make such great use of the middle eight. I'm thinking "No Language in Our Lungs", "Senses Working Overtime", "Great Fire" and "Train Running Low on Soul Coal" amongst others...
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

I've a massive fondness for this band, and especially love Colin Mouldings bass playing and quirky songwriting style.

They were one of my first gig experiences, an under 18s afternoon matinee at the Marquee. 1978 I think, I would have been 15! So I'll aways have a soft spot for white noise, although i agree they did develop into much better songwriters.

I wonder what happened to Barry Andrews!!!
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

RetroRocket wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 12:41 I wonder what happened to Barry Andrews!!!
Still Shriekbacking.
Let's Boogie
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

theraven1979 wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 22:20 Discussed recently but buried in another thread. Any love for XTC in the house? Fave songs/albums?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I'm a huge fan. My favourite band, apart from the MiB.
Got into them around Black Sea. Loved all their albums until Dave Gregory left. Felt Apple Venus and Wasp Star lacked his melodic input.
Love The Dukes too..I have the original Psonic Sunspot on garish purple vinyl kicking around somewhere.
The Steven Wilson remixes of the two.albums are a joy to listen to in 5.1.

My favourite LP, controversial choice maybe, Is Mummer.
Consistently good from start to finish.

Also went to the Swindon Arts Centre to see TC & I.
A wonderful night. Just a shame Colin couldn't continue.

Last XTC relates gig I attended was Big Big Train at the Hackney Empire.
Dave Gregory and his wonderful Rickenbacker twelve string on full display during "Hedgerow" .
RIP David Longton !

Haven't felt the same inspiration to see eXTC yet.

And not overly impressed with Andy and Colin's recent solo singles.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

Cheers! Blimey, I didn't know they were still around! Just looked at their website...Still seem to be releasing stuff....I'll check them out later.

I think I'll now settle into this evening with English Settlement.
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

All gets released via Burning Shed.

Andy used to contribute a lot to Twitter but has shied away recently.
Colin also on a Facebook group

Here's a nostalgia trip, from the Swindon gigs a few years ago

https://youtu.be/NpAWcjjtzRw
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

XTC were a great band. Years ago I had a cassette of “Fossil Fuel” and played it to death, out of that concise collection of singles released on Virgin from 1977-1992, there’s not one duff track at all.
Years ago my cousin gave me a few of her XTC albums and then I kind of forgot about them. In more recent years I have been getting a more in-depth appreciation for XTC

The first two albums aren’t my favourite, but I equally don’t dislike them, “Drums and Wires” is much better than the first two, “Black Sea” is in classic album territory, “English Settlement” is an absolute classic, a double album that’s mostly killer, with very little filler, “Mummer” - a very good album, “The Big Express” is an underrated gem. Depending on mood I’d say “Skylarking” is their best, “Oranges and Lemons” has a great first side and moments of greatness throughout, “Nonsuch” is another classic imho, I find it difficult to chose an absolute favourite but it’s between English, Sky and Non for sure. The Apple Venus/Wasp I must admit haven’t really given the time to properly listen to, but absolutely liked it from what I recall.

A very inventive band who have made a lot of great music, yes I do love XTC

I must admit that I find it refreshing that XTC didn’t replicate themselves, I totally respect and empathise with Andy Partridge taking the band away from the live circuit. It’s also so refreshing that XTC didn’t go on the gravy train of nostalgia tours. It’s been what 20 years since they’ve released anything new, which on the one hand is a shame, but at the same time refreshing that they must be one of the only bands of that era not to do some cash in reforming. I’m sure they would release something half decent if they were still a functioning band
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

Here is Dave Gregory, and producer Hugh "I Gate Drums" Padgham discussing English Settlement, from just last week on the XTC podcast

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/w ... 1501672428
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jonimac wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 18:23 Loved all their albums until Dave Gregory left. Felt Apple Venus and Wasp Star lacked his melodic input.
Agreed about Wasp Star, Dave Gregory is on Apple Venus though (and contributed quite a fair bit to the recording of it) ...
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

I was referring more to his input, which had sadly been sidelined during the album.
Andy got in orchestras but I still prefer Dave’s input.

My two best examples are on Skylarking.
1000 Umbrellas being a beautiful arrangement.
And a couple of tracks before that, his greatest guitar solo, in That’s Really Super, Supergirl
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

jonimac wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 18:23
theraven1979 wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 22:20 Discussed recently but buried in another thread. Any love for XTC in the house? Fave songs/albums?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I'm a huge fan. My favourite band, apart from the MiB.
Got into them around Black Sea. Loved all their albums until Dave Gregory left. Felt Apple Venus and Wasp Star lacked his melodic input.
Love The Dukes too..I have the original Psonic Sunspot on garish purple vinyl kicking around somewhere.
The Steven Wilson remixes of the two.albums are a joy to listen to in 5.1.

My favourite LP, controversial choice maybe, Is Mummer.
Consistently good from start to finish.

Also went to the Swindon Arts Centre to see TC & I.
A wonderful night. Just a shame Colin couldn't continue.

Last XTC relates gig I attended was Big Big Train at the Hackney Empire.
Dave Gregory and his wonderful Rickenbacker twelve string on full display during "Hedgerow" .
RIP David Longton !

Haven't felt the same inspiration to see eXTC yet.

And not overly impressed with Andy and Colin's recent solo singles.
That Scatter me track by TC & I was pretty good. I haven't heard the other tracks though.