Stoke Victoria Hall

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Stoke Victoria Hall

Post by Palais81 »

Just got back from seeing them in Stoke. The band were in excellent form and the acoustics in Victoria Hall were very good. I think over the last 41 years of seeing them live, this was the gig I could clearly hear the bass and keyboards perfectly. Jim was lower in the mix but it suited the sound - like the first 3 albums sound. I loved the setlist. Great punk songs like Straighten Out & Something Better Chang. Sleazy and Peaches were excellent because of the clarity of the sound. Great versions of Bordello, Curfew and especially Nuclear Device. Nice version of Harry. orst song - Golden Brown (but as I have said it before, it's never good live). White Stallion was excellent, it even outshone Relentless.
Walk on By, Tank, Strange Little Girl..he songs just kept on coming.........Toby just fitted on perfectly with no nerves. JJ proved to me why he is the great bassist. Could watch his playing all night long.....Enjoy the tour everyone, try not to miss it.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Stoke Victoria Hall

Post by aldinblack »

Great stuff.
Long live THE STRANGLERS!
I Hate You !
dreamtime101
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by dreamtime101 »

Palais81 wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 01:00 Just got back from seeing them in Stoke. The band were in excellent form and the acoustics in Victoria Hall were very good. I think over the last 41 years of seeing them live, this was the gig I could clearly hear the bass and keyboards perfectly. Jim was lower in the mix but it suited the sound - like the first 3 albums sound. I loved the setlist. Great punk songs like Straighten Out & Something Better Chang. Sleazy and Peaches were excellent because of the clarity of the sound. Great versions of Bordello, Curfew and especially Nuclear Device. Nice version of Harry. orst song - Golden Brown (but as I have said it before, it's never good live). White Stallion was excellent, it even outshone Relentless.
Walk on By, Tank, Strange Little Girl..he songs just kept on coming.........Toby just fitted on perfectly with no nerves. JJ proved to me why he is the great bassist. Could watch his playing all night long.....Enjoy the tour everyone, try not to miss it.
Seconded. A brilliant gig.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Yes, I enjoyed that. Ruts DC were great, then it just got even better. I was a bit unsure whether the atmosphere would be a bit subdued, but it wasn't. Round of applause for the "this is where your solo would go" line, too.

Looking forward to next Monday now, even though I'll have to leave before the end in order to catch the train home. A mate from the pub is also coming to Warrington, just because I keep banging on about seeing them live, and his favourite song (of the few he knows as a non-fan) was in the set list last night - he's been asking if they'll play it, and I've been telling him it's unlikely. In the seats as they'd sold out of standing by the time I booked, so I'm prepared for Baz taking the mickey.

Interesting to see that vaccine passports were required on entry. Their web site still said they were, but someone else said it hadn't been updated in over a month. I'd printed one out (decrepit phone) so was prepared, but someone just behind me hadn't - no idea whether they got in or not.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Great to hear, the band still have it, JJ and his friends, said with a Grand Canyon sense of irony. :smt005 Lt kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Palais81 wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 01:00 Just got back from seeing them in Stoke. The band were in excellent form and the acoustics in Victoria Hall were very good. I think over the last 41 years of seeing them live, this was the gig I could clearly hear the bass and keyboards perfectly. Jim was lower in the mix but it suited the sound - like the first 3 albums sound. I loved the setlist. Great punk songs like Straighten Out & Something Better Chang. Sleazy and Peaches were excellent because of the clarity of the sound. Great versions of Bordello, Curfew and especially Nuclear Device. Nice version of Harry. orst song - Golden Brown (but as I have said it before, it's never good live). White Stallion was excellent, it even outshone Relentless.
A great analysis and review of your stoke gig that was excellently described ....thanks.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

And they played 27 songs, they are changing the set a bit each night, they usually rehearse 40 songs for Tour, so a few more to come, I would love to see Sewer brought in, but I doubt they will play that, but set has something for everyone, well done Lads. Lt Kudu. :smt005
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

You've gotta hand it to Toby. Even though the "setlist changes" are 1 or 2 songs that they've been playing on every greatest hits tour over the last 10 years Toby has had to learn them and how to play them with the rest of the band. MKI era which forms the bulk of their set is particularly challenging as each album was pretty different

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
yesican
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by yesican »

Enjoyed Stoke more than the Glasgow gigs, Aberdeen was the best that i have seen, so far. :grin:
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 21:50 And they played 27 songs, they are changing the set a bit each night, they usually rehearse 40 songs for Tour, so a few more to come, I would love to see Sewer brought in, but I doubt they will play that, but set has something for everyone, well done Lads. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Yes your right there's been one major song missing...............Sewer!
Bring on the Sewer..Bring on the Sewer...Bring it on, Bring it on, Briiiiiing it on! lol
Alcluyd
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Alcluyd »

toilerinblack wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 23:12
Greatkudu wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 21:50 And they played 27 songs, they are changing the set a bit each night, they usually rehearse 40 songs for Tour, so a few more to come, I would love to see Sewer brought in, but I doubt they will play that, but set has something for everyone, well done Lads. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Bring on the Sewer..Bring on the Sewer...Bring it on, Bring it on, Briiiiiing it on! lol
When Baz asked the Glasgow crowd what they wanted to hear I and others were shouting plenty for Sewer - only for Baz to reply "you've got no fookin' chance of hearing that" 😄 Charming chap!
"Kneel and pray just like your momma said"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Alcluyd wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 00:32
toilerinblack wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 23:12
When Baz asked the Glasgow crowd what they wanted to hear I and others were shouting plenty for Sewer - only for Baz to reply "you've got no fookin' chance of hearing that" 😄 Charming chap!
Sadly he was right, they won't be playing that one. Lt Kudu. :smt013