Glasgow 28/01/22

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Glasgow 28/01/22

Post by StanInBlack »

jason wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 22:17 I think there has been some line up changes over the years but don't worry about it Stan.
Yes and no. OMD from their inception up until 1989, and then again from 2005 onwards were Andy McCluskey and Paul Humphreys. OMD from 1990 up until roughly 1997 was solely Andy McCluskey. Sure, there were other musicians that worked with OMD such as Martin Cooper and Malcolm Holmes (both of whom were merely "featured musicians" on OMD's debut album and who later became regular collaborators from 1980-1989 and were part of the touring line-up for a long time, including from 2005 and onwards - Cooper still plays in the touring line-up) and Stuart Kershaw (who is OMD's current live drummer while at the same time being co-writer of one of their biggest hits), but ultimately OMD were (and still are) McCluskey and Humphreys' project.
theraven1979 wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 22:22 Yeah the most radical change was when they morphed into Atomic Kitten. Least JJ and friends haven't done that.....yet
Eh, saying that OMD "morphed" into Atomic Kitten is a bit disingenuous. It was a different project entirely, albeit one that I don't like at all. I can understand why he did it (it was partly an exercise in seeing if he could have hits in a climate where OMD were considered to be "old hat" by getting some young lasses to front the songs for him) and to be fair it did yield the only #1 hit McCluskey's ever had, but... eh, no it's not my thing.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Funny though when you hear an OMD song that was clearly written for a girl band. The song "Pulse" any one? !

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 22:53 Funny though when you hear an OMD song that was clearly written for a girl band. The song "Pulse" any one? !
That first OMD album since reforming was partly a clearing house for old ideas and partly a rejuvenation of the Humphreys/McCluskey songwriting partnership, and yeah there were a couple of things on there that had their genesis in projects McCluskey was keeping himself busy with while OMD were dormant. Unsurprisingly, these tracks (and it's only a couple of them) are the worst things on the album. "Pulse" particularly is garbage, I read it once described as being "like ringing a sex line only to be greeted by Andy McCluskey with a cold", which is a fair assessment of the track. I'm not going to defend that one. Fortunately though, they knocked it off with that nonsense on English Electric (which really should have been the album that they came back with...)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah I don't mind some of those newer albums.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"