Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

Post by StanInBlack »

jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:28
StanInBlack wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 21:43
Alcluyd wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 02:18 For those eagerly anticipating an ever changing set list on the tour, don't get your hopes up.
I'm not sure anyone actually was? :lol:
Well you said you weren’t going anyway Stan so why comment?
Because whether or not I'm attending any of the gigs is irrelevant to the point. That point (of course) being that "we change the setlist every night" has become as much of a trope of JJ interviews as mentioning the Paul Simonon scrap or slagging off Hugh Cornwell and it's a trope that for years has never really turned out to be true.

...and talking about bringing Hugh into the discussion...
jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:30 And Hugh with his band playing Stranglers Songs 🙄
He has every right to do so. You may have missed the fact that he was in the band and their main songwriter during the years that mattered. The difference is that Hugh isn't calling himself "The Stranglers" and attempts to put just as much focus (if not more) on his solo work.
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

StanInBlack wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:22
jonimac wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:13 I don’t think Stan has ever seen the band that he compares all
Line ups to. For me, undermines some of his posts.
Actually it doesn't, because whether or not this is the case is irrelevant. When any band ceases to exist it's the recorded/creative output that their legacy is ultimately judged on as that is what remains... and on that front when it comes to judging one line-up against another it's a total no-brainer.
Go and Troll somewhere else Stan! 🙄
Last edited by jem750 on 30 Jan 2022, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

jem750 wrote:
StanInBlack wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 21:47
Yanders wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 14:15 There's nothing wrong with stage shows, or cover bands. Who said there was?
There's nothing wrong with cover bands at all. As long as they're honest about it, at least. In a way I kinda feel sorry for the guys in Straighten Out with MKV muscling in on their territory and everything.
And Hugh with his band playing Stranglers Songs Image
At least you accept JJ and co are doing this Hugh only does the ones he wrote and deffo not 75% of his setlist.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Well I am looking forward to my one and only gig in Sunny Reading, I would do more but can't due to personal circumstances. Lt Kudu.
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

StanInBlack wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:32

Because whether or not I'm attending any of the gigs is irrelevant to the point. That point (of course) being that "we change the setlist every night" has become as much of a trope of JJ interviews as mentioning the Paul Simonon scrap or slagging off Hugh Cornwell and it's a trope that for years has never really turned out to be true.
Well aware of that, setlist generally changes very little, but for somebody has no interest in seeing them live why are you so interested? 🤔
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

...and talking about bringing Hugh into the discussion...
jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:30 And Hugh with his band playing Stranglers Songs 🙄
He has every right to do so. You may have missed the fact that he was in the band and their main songwriter during the years that mattered. The difference is that Hugh isn't calling himself "The Stranglers" and attempts to put just as much focus (if not more) on his solo work.
Errr no I saw Hugh with the band many times and have seen both many times since. Hugh never use to play Stranglers songs but then he did and changed his logo to look like The Stranglers and his promotion is as lead singer and songwriter from The Stranglers which is fine! So what’s the problem?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

jem750 wrote:

Well aware of that, setlist generally changes very little, but for somebody has no interest in seeing them live why are you so interested? Image
This is like the if a tree falls in a forest and Stan isn't there does it make a noise?! Image

Clearly Stan doesn't need to be there to know that the setlist is changing very slightly by 1 or 2 songs at best

Jim

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:37 Well aware of that, setlist generally changes very little, but for somebody has no interest in seeing them live why are you so interested? 🤔
So not only do you agree with me but you feel the need to ask me the same question twice. The answer hasn't changed. Unless your question is "why do you read JJ Burnel interviews?" which I think is a question that answers itself.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:34
jem750 wrote:
StanInBlack wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 21:47

There's nothing wrong with cover bands at all. As long as they're honest about it, at least. In a way I kinda feel sorry for the guys in Straighten Out with MKV muscling in on their territory and everything.
At least you accept JJ and co are doing this Hugh only does the ones he wrote and deffo not 75% of his setlist.

Jim

By JJ and co you mean The Stranglers, and of course their set consists of Stranglers songs (nearly all of which are co-written).
And Hugh does not only play the Stranglers songs he wrote, he also plays tracks that by his own admission were JJ ones, and very few of The Stranglers songs were sole Hugh compositions, both of which are facts you know but choose to Ignore (lie about).
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Bear Cage wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:34
jem750 wrote:

Jim

By JJ and co you mean The Stranglers, and of course their set consists of Stranglers songs (nearly all of which are co-written).
And Hugh does not only play the Stranglers songs he wrote, he also plays tracks that by his own admission were JJ ones, and very few of The Stranglers songs were sole Hugh compositions, both of which are facts you know but choose to Ignore (lie about).
what do you mean by "the stranglers"?! He plays the odd JJ song yes. But the bulk are his which JJ performs and charges punters under "the Stranglers" banner. If you're ok with that then fine crack on.

Jim

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:43
jem750 wrote: Well aware of that, setlist generally changes very little, but for somebody has no interest in seeing them live why are you so interested? Image
This is like the if a tree falls in a forest and Stan isn't there does it make a noise?! Image

Clearly Stan doesn't need to be there to know that the setlist is changing very slightly by 1 or 2 songs at best

Jim

Which is EXACTLY what JJ said, he didn’t say they change the whole set every night, but they liked to vary things and change one or two songs each night (which is more variation than most other bands).
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

StanInBlack wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:22
jonimac wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:13 I don’t think Stan has ever seen the band that he compares all
Line ups to. For me, undermines some of his posts.
Actually it doesn't, because whether or not this is the case is irrelevant. When any band ceases to exist it's the recorded/creative output that their legacy is ultimately judged on as that is what remains... and on that front when it comes to judging one line-up against another it's a total no-brainer.
Regardless of how emphatically you present your well trodden view, it’s simply one bloke’s take on it, no more.
Fill your boots, for whatever buzz you seem intent on getting, but just accept other views are different and just as valid.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)