Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

lostinpaddington
Down In The Sewer

Re: Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

Post by lostinpaddington »

Back to the tour - I’m a bit bemused why JJ has to use a backing track for White Stallion? I realise the version on the album is synthesised but it’s not exactly hard to play the actual notes. I don’t really get it? Even if it gave the song a different feel playing live bass would that matter? Can’t ever remember JJ or anyone else not playing live?
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

lostinpaddington wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 22:02 Back to the tour - I’m a bit bemused why JJ has to use a backing track for White Stallion? I realise the version on the album is synthesised but it’s not exactly hard to play the actual notes. I don’t really get it? Even if it gave the song a different feel playing live bass would that matter? Can’t ever remember JJ or anyone else not playing live?
Not seen it live yet, but is the synthesised bass on a backing track, or being provided by Toby?
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

jonimac wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 13:41 Is there an argument?
I don’t see one.
Not so much an argument, just irritation at the insidious insinuation to crass trolling of the Stranglers that continues on here. Such as implying the current line-up are not The Stranglers, and no different to a covers bands.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Bear Cage wrote:
jonimac wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 13:41 Is there an argument?
I don’t see one.
Not so much an argument, just irritation at the insidious insinuation to crass trolling of the Stranglers that continues on here. Such as implying the current line-up are not The Stranglers, and no different to a covers bands.
Define "the stranglers" I guess. Can't you just enjoy it?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 22:21 Define "the stranglers" I guess.
The Stranglers are a band, whose line-up has changed over the years, but have continuously existed and continue to produce great live performances and albums.
theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 22:21 Can't you just enjoy it?
I do, can you allow those on this ‘fans forum’ to enjoy without snide comment against The Stranglers?
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

lostinpaddington wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 22:02 Back to the tour - I’m a bit bemused why JJ has to use a backing track for White Stallion? I realise the version on the album is synthesised but it’s not exactly hard to play the actual notes. I don’t really get it? Even if it gave the song a different feel playing live bass would that matter? Can’t ever remember JJ or anyone else not playing live?
JJ plays the riff at the start, the keys do the bass until later in song where JJ plays as usual, on the album he's playing Bass the whole song, the album version has Dave doing that Keyboard bass sound and Louie added extra bits, I think JJ isn't playing Bass until later on the live version as he's try to connect with the audience, if he was playing the bass, he couldn't do it or that expression with his arms. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

There's only ever been one Stranglers band...(the entity) 1974-present that's how i see it as one fan's opinion,yes changes of members,music style along the way over the decades but with all that been said and that's lot of changes and differences along the way over 47 years it's still for me anyway...The Stranglers! which will be the case until they decide to stop is how i see it.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 30 Jan 2022, 22:40, edited 3 times in total.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Bear Cage wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 22:21 Define "the stranglers" I guess.
The Stranglers are a band, whose line-up has changed over the years, but have continuously existed and continue to produce great live performances and albums.
theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 22:21 Can't you just enjoy it?
I do, can you allow those on this ‘fans forum’ to enjoy without snide comment against The Stranglers?
I enjoy it in whatever forms we get and don't feel the need to constantly justify it

Jim

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 21:47
Yanders wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 14:15 There's nothing wrong with stage shows, or cover bands. Who said there was?
There's nothing wrong with cover bands at all. As long as they're honest about it, at least. In a way I kinda feel sorry for the guys in Straighten Out with MKV muscling in on their territory and everything.
Are you serious? I wonder if all the fans turning out to see the band on this tour think they are seeing a tribute band? No they are seeing the Stranglers, whether you like it or not. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Greatkudu wrote:
Yanders wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 14:15 There's nothing wrong with stage shows, or cover bands. Who said there was?
There's nothing wrong with cover bands at all. As long as they're honest about it, at least. In a way I kinda feel sorry for the guys in Straighten Out with MKV muscling in on their territory and everything.
Are you serious? I wonder if all the fans turning out to see the band on this tour think they are seeing a tribute band? No they are seeing the Stranglers, whether you like it or not. Lt Kudu.
Do you seriously believe that?!

Jim

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 22:43
Greatkudu wrote:

Do you seriously believe that?!

Jim

Yes so if its not the Stranglers who is it? Off course JJ only original, but very few bands of their age have all the original members for obvious reasons, I wouldn't waste money going if I thought they were a tribute band or going through the motions, but I accept others don't agree. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 22:31 I do, can you allow those on this ‘fans forum’ to enjoy without snide comment against The Stranglers?
The way I see it is if you really enjoy something and are into something so much, then it shouldn't particularly matter if someone doesn't or isn't.