Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 15:27
toilerinblack wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 15:17 It's all positive for the band so far for them freshly into the UK tour,i have read reviews from many now who all seem to say very good things,i think the band are on a winner with the fans by mixing the set about which is a good move for it keeps it fresh with the unexpected especially for those who are paying out money to go to several gigs who won't be seeing the same gig exactly the same twice over being a little different with song's maybe they didn't hear on a previous gig before which is a good move for the paying public too i think. I also think too by asking them to choose a song between two is another different good move involving their fans in a song choice,so to me it all look's good in general on the eastern front.
Well it's looking dodgy on the Eastern front in Ukraine, but positive on the Stranglers Eastern front. Lt Kudu :smt005
That's the one i was talking about the stranglers eastern front i don't get involved with politics lol
So the final full uk tour so far has been received very well and i'd have to say that Glasgow's Heroes is the best all round live band version i've heard of that song for a very long time i've been very impressed with the standard and the high quality on the sound production front too on this UK tour so far.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

kenl wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 15:44 The last full tour was because of dear Dave's ill health was it not?

Maybe that will change for a few more years?🤞
I am hoping that was the case - JJ said as much in one interview, but has since contradicted himself, except that's based on when the interviews are published, not necessarily when they were done.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 19:17
kenl wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 15:44 The last full tour was because of dear Dave's ill health was it not?

I am hoping that was the case - JJ said as much in one interview, but has since contradicted himself, except that's based on when the interviews are published, not necessarily when they were done.
I don't think they will change their minds. Baz has stated recently, the last full tour. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 22:30
droopsnoot wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 19:17

I don't think they will change their minds. Baz has stated recently, the last full tour. Lt Kudu.
Yes it could well be the last FULL tour only,will there be smaller ones in the future still with the band or for the two of them only ? time will tell...
i can't see it ending for JJ & Baz,but we shall see in time,currently the UK tour for The Stranglers is as most of us agree is going very well and they are sounding very good to me still,will DM be The Stranglers last album as we know it? without now Dave and Jet it could well be but nobody but themselves know their future routes forwards,but i believe JJ's & Baz's strong bond together could well continue on in some format but time will tell, but that is i feel not for now as it's all about completing the Final Tour which sadly Dave was never able to make but they are finishing it as a celebration to the great man himself.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 30 Jan 2022, 12:56, edited 4 times in total.
Alcluyd
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Alcluyd »

toilerinblack wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 15:52
Greatkudu wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 15:27
toilerinblack wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 15:17 It's all positive for the band so far for them freshly into the UK tour,i have read reviews from many now who all seem to say very good things,i think the band are on a winner with the fans by mixing the set about which is a good move for it keeps it fresh with the unexpected especially for those who are paying out money to go to several gigs who won't be seeing the same gig exactly the same twice over being a little different with song's maybe they didn't hear on a previous gig before which is a good move for the paying public too i think. I also think too by asking them to choose a song between two is another different good move involving their fans in a song choice,so to me it all look's good in general on the eastern front.
Well it's looking dodgy on the Eastern front in Ukraine, but positive on the Stranglers Eastern front. Lt Kudu :smt005
That's the one i was talking about the stranglers eastern front i don't get involved with politics lol
So the final full uk tour so far has been received very well and i'd have to say that Glasgow's Heroes is the best all round live band version i've heard of that song for a very long time i've been very impressed with the standard and the high quality on the sound production front too on this UK tour so far.
Have you guys been talking to Baz?? You might not touch politics but there's no stopping the Stranglers front man... Just home from the second Glasgow gig and unless my ears deceived me (which is very possible) this is what I heard during Peaches... "I can think of a lot worse places to be
Like down in the streets
Or down in the sewer
Or even in a Ukrainian war"
Let's hope and pray that doesn't happen.
"Kneel and pray just like your momma said"
Alcluyd
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Alcluyd »

For those eagerly anticipating an ever changing set list on the tour, don't get your hopes up. The differences between the two Glasgow gigs were minimal - 5 Mins dropped for SBC, and Grip added as an extra encore.
Have to say the band were in the best form ever, note perfect on every song really and Baz's playing in particular just spot on. A night to remember, JJ and Baz seemed pretty emotional as they left the stage.
"Kneel and pray just like your momma said"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Alcluyd wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 02:18 For those eagerly anticipating an ever changing set list on the tour, don't get your hopes up. The differences between the two Glasgow gigs were minimal - 5 Mins dropped for SBC, and Grip added as an extra encore.
Have to say the band were in the best form ever, note perfect on every song really and Baz's playing in particular just spot on. A night to remember, JJ and Baz seemed pretty emotional as they left the stage.
Great to hear another report of a good gig,they certainly seem to be doing well at each gig it seems to me by the fans reviews and they are the one's there in person to see for themselves just how well they think the band's doing in their opinions,again a slight change to the set list which is good to see again.....thanks.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 30 Jan 2022, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Alcluyd wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 02:18 For those eagerly anticipating an ever changing set list on the tour, don't get your hopes up. The differences between the two Glasgow gigs were minimal - 5 Mins dropped for SBC, and Grip added as an extra encore.
Minimal change, but bits have swapped every night so far, which is more than most artists can manage.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

I had a couple of drinks last night while watching the footage on Youtube of the UK tour. Got to say it sounded great and I agree with comments about Curfew. It really sounded spot on, and dare I say that apart from Toby’s clear technical ability, there does seem to have been a tweak in the keyboard sounds, making them closer to the original. I then put on one of my favourite youtube vids, No Nukes, curious as to how I would react after seeing the new line up. Great to see Baroque, Raven, etc but it struck me that I found the latest tour videos just as enjoyable, perhaps because we are all willing them on (those that aren’t are not attending these “farewell” gigs, but will no doubt pick holes in shaky youtube footage) and also that Baz, Toby and Jim are clearly reproducing the music to an excellent standard.
Throw in a great light show, and the fact that 21st century live sound technology is a vast improvement over 1982, and I now cannot wait for Guildford and Brighton.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

jonimac wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 10:13 I had a couple of drinks last night while watching the footage on Youtube of the UK tour. Got to say it sounded great and I agree with comments about Curfew. It really sounded spot on, and dare I say that apart from Toby’s clear technical ability, there does seem to have been a tweak in the keyboard sounds, making them closer to the original. I then put on one of my favourite youtube vids, No Nukes, curious as to how I would react after seeing the new line up. Great to see Baroque, Raven, etc but it struck me that I found the latest tour videos just as enjoyable, perhaps because we are all willing them on (those that aren’t are not attending these “farewell” gigs, but will no doubt pick holes in shaky youtube footage) and also that Baz, Toby and Jim are clearly reproducing the music to an excellent standard.
Throw in a great light show, and the fact that 21st century live sound technology is a vast improvement over 1982, and I now cannot wait for Guildford and Brighton.
i agree with what your saying hear and yes i think Curfew was pretty dam good to me too, again like you say and i do feel strongly agreeing with the fact that being there is the only true way to take in exactly what they are doing live,it's nice me hearing it on youtube at least i get a taste of what they are doing at these gigs but it will never be the same as being there in person i feel anyway where you get to hear for yourself its full PA and acoustic sounds and general production of it all and the main thing is the whole live atmosphere of it all which cannot be matched from vids on youtube,that's why me being just one fans opinion of it all does like to read the posts and views from the fans who were there and what they thought of the gig and so far its all been very positive from both the French and the starting's of the UK tour which is good for both the paying fans and the band themselves too for their own feedback of what they are doing i would guess.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Baz, Toby and Jim are clearly reproducing the music to an excellent standard.
Throw in a great light show, and the fact that 21st century live sound technology is a vast improvement over 1982,
I think this is really where the argument is, it's not whether baz is a bonafide strangler. It's if we are paying money to see musicians playing their music live, with all of the faults that throws up, or a highly polished stage show.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Yanders wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 13:28
Baz, Toby and Jim are clearly reproducing the music to an excellent standard.
Throw in a great light show, and the fact that 21st century live sound technology is a vast improvement over 1982,
I think this is really where the argument is, it's not whether baz is a bonafide strangler. It's if we are paying money to see musicians playing their music live, with all of the faults that throws up, or a highly polished stage show.
We clearly are paying for and expect to see The Stranglers playing live, the light show is a minor enhancement (unless done badly, when it detracts). Thankfully with the Stranglers that’s what we get, there may be occasional bits of prerecorded backing, but from my experience The Stranglers are always playing live.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.