Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

Post by droopsnoot »

Bear Cage wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 03:58
droopsnoot wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 20:25
kenl wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 20:20 Really hope they play the Raven tomorrow. The best song ever written.
I love the song, but I don't think it works well live. I can't quite say why, it just doesn't sound quite right to me.
I’d disagree, it sounds fine if you’re there, but It’s one of those live songs that always sounds vastly better in the auditorium than on any captured footage you see from the gig. It seems to loose the balance of instruments on a recording that the ears and brain get from being their live.
That's a fair point. Lots of stuff sounds much better when you're actually listening to the gig because you're not just listening to it, there's the whole atmosphere of actually being there, and that's one of the reasons that I haven't been watching a lot of the YT footage of the current tour - I'd rather wait until I see it next week.
alaninblack wrote: MKI used to end the gig with that, kind of leaving just Dave on stage with the synth ending, all very moody blackness with white lights burning upwards from behind Dave. I think they then returned back for the encore. Was many years ago now ....
I can picture that being very good, too. Before my time, unfortunately, I didn't see them until 1983.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I love the song, but I don't think it works well live. I can't quite say why, it just doesn't sound quite right to me.
I'm just the opposite,I find Raven sounds fantastic live.It's a set list must for me, same as the others that always get played.Good to see it return last night at Aberdeen. As pointed out by BC, it doesn't always come across when recorded but this isn't a bad example.Pity it's cut short.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_eChC69fUSY
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

theraven1979 wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 09:35 People talking about taking Kleenex to the gig. Can't be that good surely?!

Jim *arf!*

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Does anyone know the setlist from last night?
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

From the few songs i've heard so far from the UK tour have been ok to me,Strange Little girl was a really nice version so was the emotional Dave Song,ATS not amazing but it's nice to hear Baz's vocals not being over tried it certainly sounded better to the likes of ATS and GB and so far they are altering the set about too which is good a little more from the likes of Dreamtime would be a nice again like Nice in Nice or from the Raven like Ice or Shah,but this is a Hits celebration tour with a little bit of DM so i doubt their going to do some of the old one's that haven't been done for ages.
shah
The Raven
The Raven

Post by shah »

Last night: strong!
Love the start and end ideas...

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-stra ... 8d92a.html
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

shah wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 17:43 Last night: strong!

Very good set,they are changing it a bit most nights, alot of bands wouldn't even change it at all. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 18:24
shah wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 17:43 Last night: strong!

Very good set,they are changing it a bit most nights, alot of bands wouldn't even change it at all. Lt Kudu.
Right ok only just seen last night's set list and it's a good one and good to see song's from The Raven being included and played too and yes your right a lot of band's wouldn't keep changing the set about like they have been doing which is pretty impressive in itself i think and what's even more impressive is that Toby whose only been in the band for 5 minutes to fill for the tribute tour being his first UK tour with the band who also are changing the set about what seems like daily hats off to him i say for staying with it all and having to learn not only the song's but playing in time correctly from start to finish with a band on stage he hasn't been with long isn't easy by a long chalk in my opinion even for a long term pro like he is,well done for the band's UK tour start and the change about's too with the set i can't ask for anything more from them really.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Ruby wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 11:45
I'm just the opposite,I find Raven sounds fantastic live.It's a set list must for me, same as the others that always get played.Good to see it return last night at Aberdeen. As pointed out by BC, it doesn't always come across when recorded but this isn't a bad example.Pity it's cut short.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_eChC69fUSY
Toby is playing that main riff a little rushed to my ears.
Let's Boogie
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

markorbit wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 23:21

Toby is playing that main riff a little rushed to my ears.
It's Dave, 2017.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Toby's doing brilliantly from what i can hear and and see of it and not forgetting Baz & JJ have been playing together for so long now who know each other and they way they play inside out they together very rarely put a foot wrong where time and pace is concerned,Toby i can't express enough has joined a new band having to learn not just a song that the others have played together hundreds of times before but a complete gig set's worth of material that's a lot of new song's to learn and play i think ....i think he's done very well and the more i think he get's used to the songs and playing with them as a live unit the more tighter and sharper especially where time and pace is concerned he will get, he's taken over from someone who wrote the key parts and played them for 47 years,Toby who seems to be relaxed and enjoying what he's playing with the band too that clearly shows out to me watching him high at the back,they have i think picked the right man to fill for Dave's tribute tour who will always be so sadly missed.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 29 Jan 2022, 04:00, edited 3 times in total.
Alcluyd
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Alcluyd »

News just in from the first night at Glasgow....

***Spoiler Alert***

So, no The Raven and no surprises at all, just the usual set really which I totally expected (it's been a long time since I was surprised by a choice of song really). For me, and seeing as this is the 'final full tour', I'd have liked a few more real fan favourites - I'm looking at Genetix, Sewer and Raven especially. I guess I'm one of those c**ts that Baz mentioned - never happy! The only proper interesting moment of the set list was when Baz gave us the choice of what song we wanted to hear, a request show moment! After the usual shouts it came down to a choice of two, Grip or Tank... I won't say which one won!
For me the encore of Lines/Dave just didn't work, in a venue this size. Too many people seemed a bit tuned out and the drunken hordes drowned out the MIB. A pity as it was a really poignant moment and in an intimate venue would have been fantastic.
So all in all a great show, Toby fitting in really well too and we'll see what changes they make for Saturday night.
"Kneel and pray just like your momma said"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Well the reports coming in all seem to be backing Toby doing very well and fitting in very well filling in for this tribute/celebration tour for Dave.