Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

Post by droopsnoot »

kenl wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 20:20 Really hope they play the Raven tomorrow. The best song ever written.
I love the song, but I don't think it works well live. I can't quite say why, it just doesn't sound quite right to me.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Watching some of the Shed's footage where i thought that Strange little Girl was an excellent version beautiful keys from Toby and Baz sung it really nice too.We will see if they change it around a little will there be a change with the opener through the tour time we tell.
I remember saying on here before the first french opener i would like to see them tribute Dave on stools singing the Dave song with a few others just like they did in the acoustic sessions and they never did on the French tour but in UK i was so pleased to see that they did decide themselves to do just that which for me was perfectly performed under hard circumstances... also loved JJ's tele guitar too in the Dave song lol
Last edited by toilerinblack on 27 Jan 2022, 22:11, edited 2 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

strangledinAuch wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 19:24
StanInBlack wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 22:10 The performance of "And if You Should See Dave..." to me is what JJ & Baz should be aiming for at the moment. If they really do enjoy each others company and enjoy writing songs together, why not establish themselves as a songwriting unit and as a duo and play acoustically like that? That would be far more credible than calling themselves The Stranglers.
it was a tribute to Dave

Have some respect
It was a tribute to Dave was it? No shit! After all, the clue was in the title of the song. Also, it seems to me like you've misunderstood the post completely.
markorbit wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 01:02 Don't hear much wrong with that ATS to be honest (apart from the pitch bend synth at the start) but it's never been one of my favs.
They sounded really knackered on it, I thought - even in comparison to other recent renditions. Especially the vocals.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

StanInBlack wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 17:28 I saw the clip of them playing "Always the Sun" from last night and was stunned by how lacklustre it was. Probably one of the most lacklustre renditions of the song I've ever seen, and I'm not just saying that for the sake of it.
They had just played 'And If You Should See Dave' to a live audience for the first time ever, you heartless b*stard! I was feeling very upset and lacklustre during ATS too :smt089

It was an emotional gig, great tribute to Dave, and Toby did brilliantly 8)
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

sendwarrior wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 23:15 They had just played 'And If You Should See Dave' to a live audience for the first time ever, you heartless b*stard!
Indeed, and you'll notice (or perhaps you didn't, which is why I have to point it out to you) that I had positive things to say about that performance.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Just watched 'Golden Brown' in Lincoln and again I have to say I'm impressed with how this song sounds and feels. Maybe over the years the guys had grown bored of it or let it deviate but Toby is right back to the slight lilt of the recording. I quickly compared it to a Ruby tour version and I preferred the 2022 version. In fact one thing I've noticed about Toby and this isn't hard to understand why, is that in some cases things are subtly closer to the records now.
Let's Boogie
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

droopsnoot wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 20:25
kenl wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 20:20 Really hope they play the Raven tomorrow. The best song ever written.
I love the song, but I don't think it works well live. I can't quite say why, it just doesn't sound quite right to me.
I’d disagree, it sounds fine if you’re there, but It’s one of those live songs that always sounds vastly better in the auditorium than on any captured footage you see from the gig. It seems to loose the balance of instruments on a recording that the ears and brain get from being their live.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

droopsnoot wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 20:25 I love the song, but I don't think it works well live. I can't quite say why, it just doesn't sound quite right to me.
Like Bear Cage, I've always enjoyed it live. MKI used to end the gig with that, kind of leaving just Dave on stage with the synth ending, all very moody blackness with white lights burning upwards from behind Dave. I think they then returned back for the encore. Was many years ago now ....

Doesnt seem as "magificent" now in the smaller venues ive seen them at, but still enjoyable for me.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

I see from elsewhere some nice additions to the set list for Aberdeen, inc The Raven, and more positive reviews from those who’ve been to the gigs.
Last edited by Bear Cage on 28 Jan 2022, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
shah
The Raven
The Raven

Post by shah »

I see from elsewhere and some nice additions to the set list for Aberdeen,

where?
love to read/see/imagine...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

shah wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 06:57 I see from elsewhere some nice additions to the set list for Aberdeen,

where?
love to read/see/imagine...
Facebook and YouTube
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

People talking about taking Kleenex to the gig. Can't be that good surely?!

Jim *arf!*

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"