White Stallion

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: White Stallion

Post by droopsnoot »

Bear Cage wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 21:36 Agree you need to be at a gig to make your mind up. Video, especially phone recordings, never capture a live performance, so you can’t really tell unless you’re there and properly experience it live.
Yes, I've held off from watching anything other than a few short snippets of these phone videos for the same reason.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 20:15
jetblacksdad wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 12:13 I think there is Stan. It's true that the production is bigger than the song itself but if that is what makes it work, then so be it. Bit like Loaded by Primal Scream.
You're comparing apples and oranges there. Dance tracks are mostly production based, whereas an album like Dark Matters is evidently song based.
It is, but White Stallion stands out as being a highly produced track. My point was to support yours that, it may not be the strongest song, but plenty of production elevated it. Not sure it would work so well stripped back.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 11:29
jetblacksdad wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 12:13 I think there is Stan. It's true that the production is bigger than the song itself but if that is what makes it work, then so be it. Bit like Loaded by Primal Scream.
You're comparing apples and oranges there. Dance tracks are mostly production based, whereas an album like Dark Matters is evidently song based.
It is, but White Stallion stands out as being a highly produced track. My point was to support yours that, it may not be the strongest song, but plenty of production elevated it. Not sure it would work so well stripped back.
See, I'd argue the opposite - that the "big production" (I'll refrain from saying "good production", because I don't think it is) actually exposes the limits of the song itself. It wouldn't work at all stripped back, because there ain't nothing to it.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:33
jetblacksdad wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 11:29

See, I'd argue the opposite - that the "big production" (I'll refrain from saying "good production", because I don't think it is) actually exposes the limits of the song itself. It wouldn't work at all stripped back, because there ain't nothing to it.
I disagree I think it could work stripped back, but live they choose to use backing to help the song,and why not? Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think this would sound incredibly weak as an stripped back. JJ asked for a big sound/big production on this for a reason. Imagine trying to do Sewer acoustically (not that this track is anywhere near Sewer BTW but you know what I mean).

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 23:52
jonimac wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 23:43 Cannot wait to see this live. Although it made me laugh watching the live footage, with JJ trying not to look awkward while waiting for a bit where he could play his bass.
Which, of course, he THEN goes on to NOT do for the majority of the song.
Yes , that was the bit I didn't get myself . I do like the song , probably among the best 3 on the album imo , maybe even the best one , but live I can see why the opera bits are backing sounds as the song loses a lot without , but it's also like the bass is added track too so JJ doesn't have to play his bits......... He did say in interview about the disco type bass being Baz' idea and that is clearly on a backing track and not being played live .I think I might ge disappointed if I saw the band an that was what appeared to be. I do like the track but not sure about it live , but maybe you have to say it is what it is , they must have reasons.
All quiet ..........
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 13:26
StanInBlack wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 23:52
jonimac wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 23:43 Cannot wait to see this live. Although it made me laugh watching the live footage, with JJ trying not to look awkward while waiting for a bit where he could play his bass.
Which, of course, he THEN goes on to NOT do for the majority of the song.
Yes , that was the bit I didn't get myself . I do like the song , probably among the best 3 on the album imo , maybe even the best one , but live I can see why the opera bits are backing sounds as the song loses a lot without , but it's also like the bass is added track too so JJ doesn't have to play his bits......... He did say in interview about the disco type bass being Baz' idea and that is clearly on a backing track and not being played live .I think I might ge disappointed if I saw the band an that was what appeared to be. I do like the track but not sure about it live , but maybe you have to say it is what it is , they must have reasons.
JJ plays the intro and a few chords, but I'm sure he's playing the outro, but most of the Bass was played by Dave on original recording on that keyboard pad at start, but seeing vid he plays some Bass when Baz does his vocal part. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

mmmm intresting thoughts about Stallion being talked about here,Stallion does stand out for sure because of it's full production that yes many are right it does lift and fill out the song for sure,but it's also a very new refreshing disco beat type song that the fuller production to it work's very well making it sound fantastic and i'd never say over production because i don't believe it is overdone or to much.Would it work stipped back that i'm not so sure about to be honest it certainly wouldn't sound the great song it is with it being left out that's a no brainer which is also why as a live song they are still sticking by getting it as close to the studio version as possible with so much of the pre recordings being left in to make it sound good live as without it it might not sound the great overall song that is over produced or not.
But you know what call it over produced or too much production i don't really care because it sounds bloody good to me so what if it has to much of whatever in it's make up the main thing for me is it's a blinder and i love playing it loads loudly and that's all that matters for me.
Cricklewood
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Cricklewood »

From looking at the footage, I think the song would have benefited alot live if Paul was around as a 5 piece. It looked awkward with JJ half gesturing with his hands instead of them being on the bass. But with a separate lead singer, he would be free to play some extra basslines or something whilst Paul takes the bulk of the vocals
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Cricklewood wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 17:39 From looking at the footage, I think the song would have benefited alot live if Paul was around as a 5 piece. It looked awkward with JJ half gesturing with his hands instead of them being on the bass. But with a separate lead singer, he would be free to play some extra basslines or something whilst Paul takes the bulk of the vocals
I wish PR hadn't left, to be honest with you. MKIII felt like a line-up that got cut short just as it was getting going.
Cricklewood
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Cricklewood »

The more I think about it, the more I would be curious of a Paul-led version of Stallion. I think his vocal style would suit well to the grand theatrics of it
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Cricklewood wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 18:04 The more I think about it, the more I would be curious of a Paul-led version of Stallion. I think his vocal style would suit well to the grand theatrics of it
I think if PR hadn't left the band, not only would Giants have been much stronger than it was but they probably would have put out more music by now.