Vive Le Rock #88

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Vive Le Rock #88

Post by Yanders »

I'm sure Hugh flings his curtains open every morning and thanks the world for Baz.
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

theraven1979 wrote:Yeah he calls that out regularly in interviews - He's glad that band continue to play them as it goes towards funding his next solo record etc. Win win!

Dunno what "decline" you're referring to BTW.

Jim
ricam wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 11:49 Perhaps but I could also point out the decline in HC fortune's since leaving the Stranglers.
I assume he is as thankful for those mk1 songs as Baz.
The songs which were performed by the Stranglers.
Cant imagine those songs would have had the success without them all.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
Audience numbers, record sales, profile and artistically (to some).

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

But you were referring to his "fortunes" - Looks alright to me from where I'm standing. He's got the finances to do what he wants, he's artistically free from doing what "The Stranglers" have to do (i.e endless Greatest Hits tours etc) and he's making great music.

Jim
ricam wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 11:57
theraven1979 wrote:Yeah he calls that out regularly in interviews - He's glad that band continue to play them as it goes towards funding his next solo record etc. Win win!

Dunno what "decline" you're referring to BTW.

Jim
ricam wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 11:49 Perhaps but I could also point out the decline in HC fortune's since leaving the Stranglers.
I assume he is as thankful for those mk1 songs as Baz.
The songs which were performed by the Stranglers.
Cant imagine those songs would have had the success without them all.

Audience numbers, record sales, profile and artistically (to some).

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I would probably agree with this to an extent. He probably wakes up and hears the posty dropping off another royalty cheque, put's his slippers on and trundles downstairs to work on another song safe in the knowledge he has the finances to do what he needs.

Jim
Yanders wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 11:56 I'm sure Hugh flings his curtains open every morning and thanks the world for Baz.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Of how much value are these 'royalty' cheques ? Are we talking thousands and thousands ?
Last edited by Ruby on 16 Dec 2021, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Can't imagine it would be that much. Didn't he or JJ say that the cheque from the first 3 albums has always funded their various needs to an extent. So I imagine that would be sizeable.

I didn't state any amounts in my post BTW

Jim
Ruby wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:04 Of how much value are these 'royalty' cheques ? Are we talking thousands and thousands ?
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

I doubt Baz's existence makes that much difference to the royalties he's paid.
theraven1979 wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:00 I would probably agree with this to an extent. He probably wakes up and hears the posty dropping off another royalty cheque, put's his slippers on and trundles downstairs to work on another song safe in the knowledge he has the finances to do what he needs.

Jim
Yanders wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 11:56 I'm sure Hugh flings his curtains open every morning and thanks the world for Baz.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 11:54 Dunno what "decline" you're referring to BTW.
Definitely not a creative one 8)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

True - He could be replaced if needed.

Jim
Yanders wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:38 I doubt Baz's existence makes that much difference to the royalties he's paid.
theraven1979 wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:00 I would probably agree with this to an extent. He probably wakes up and hears the posty dropping off another royalty cheque, put's his slippers on and trundles downstairs to work on another song safe in the knowledge he has the finances to do what he needs.

Jim
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

Ruby wrote:Of how much value are these 'royalty' cheques ? Are we talking thousands and thousands ?
I can recall JJ saying his first royalty for Rattus, and I think it was for six months, was £5k.
He was seeing a girl who's father was a bank manager and he (JJ) was doing better.
Consider that the first four albums have sold steadily ever since and the amount of formats we buy them on and it should add up quite nicely!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah I get the impression even to this day the first 3 albums fund a lot for them. Hope so, they deserve it.

Jim
gjinblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:52
Ruby wrote:Of how much value are these 'royalty' cheques ? Are we talking thousands and thousands ?
I can recall JJ saying his first royalty for Rattus, and I think it was for six months, was £5k.
He was seeing a girl who's father was a bank manager and he (JJ) was doing better.
Consider that the first four albums have sold steadily ever since and the amount of formats we buy them on and it should add up quite nicely!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:42 True - He could be replaced if needed.

Jim
Yanders wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:38 I doubt Baz's existence makes that much difference to the royalties he's paid.

Jim

Yup. This is thing - the band needed someone to replace John Ellis anyway because they had shows to do. If Baz hadn't joined, they would have got someone else in and continued to tour the greatest hits anyway.