New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: New keyboard player

Post by Greatkudu »

Well so what's the verdict on Mr Hounsham? Enough vids to make a judgement? Thumbs up or thumbs down? Thumbs up for me, he's done a great job taking over from a total legend, I think Dave would be proud, and he's improved his Heroes solo from first gig, and nailed to of the hardest songs ie Toiler and Tank. Lt Cmdr Kudu special Ops over and out. :smt005
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 13:10 Indeed, then the MKI stuff can be left to Hugh to do properly.
To be honest, only MKI can do the MKI stuff "properly" - neither parties should rely on playing a majority or even 50/50 MKI tracks at current gigs. Both should emphasise new material, with a splattering of favourites in my opinion.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 21:22 Well so what's the verdict on Mr Hounsham?
Her certainly can play, he fits in and seem to be a genuine nice guy all round. But its about what happens in the future, will they develop new material with Tony ? Does Tony want to do that ? Or is he happy being a session musician ? I would like to see an in-depth interview with him about the whole situation, hear his thoughts etc...
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

alaninblack wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 21:50
Her certainly can play, he fits in and seem to be a genuine nice guy all round. But its about what happens in the future, will they develop new material with Tony ? Does Tony want to do that ? Or is he happy being a session musician ? I would like to see an in-depth interview with him about the whole situation, hear his thoughts etc...
Sir that we don't know? But the band have proved by the fantastic reception on the French tour that they still have an audience and the French know there music, so the band will carry on as long as they want to,as for future who knows? Lt kudu.
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

What is clear is that his name is Toby and not Tony.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

airflamesred wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 00:05
And not a her, but typo’s and autocorrect…
:lol:
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 00:09 And not a her, but typo’s and autocorrect…
Nah, just me not looking at what I'm bloody typing... spelling and grammar Nazis everywhere : )
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 21:22 Well so what's the verdict on Mr Hounsham? Enough vids to make a judgement? Thumbs up or thumbs down? Thumbs up for me, he's done a great job taking over from a total legend, I think Dave would be proud, and he's improved his Heroes solo from first gig, and nailed to of the hardest songs ie Toiler and Tank. Lt Cmdr Kudu special Ops over and out. :smt005
Toby has done well and it's a shame that his first gigs with the band have come under such close scrutiny on youtube. Only when it all becomes second nature to him will he have truly arrived. I would guess he felt some pressure at the start.
Let's Boogie
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Bear Cage wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 00:09
airflamesred wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 00:05

And not a her, but typo’s and autocorrect…
I do get pissed off with autocorrect , I even turn it off and it turns itself back on .
All quiet ..........
STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by STEVEh »

StanInBlack wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 09:09 Gotta agree with this
Indeed, then the MKI stuff can be left to Hugh to do properly.
Hugh wasn’t doing the MK1 stuff properly when he was in the band. In those final years he sang and played and performed completely different. He reduced the band to a cabaret act. Singing with his finger in his ear, that cheesy circular dance he did with John Ellis at the start of gigs to Shah Shah A Go Go and then the brass act dancing about the stage. It was painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

The only thing you've mentioned there that directly relates to the music is the brass and that was a joint decision. I thought it worked but possibly overstayed it's welcome.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I think he's okay. He's clearly a talented, professional musician and he comes across as a really nice guy. In the context of JJ Burnel & Friends it's clear that he's doing exactly what he's been hired to do, which is to attempt to reproduce Dave's keyboard parts as best as he can in order to keep the band on the road and functioning as a business - similar to the reasons why Jim was hired when Jet was forced to retire. He doesn't get all of the keyboard parts right - which is really jarring considering that Dave was pretty on the ball about reproducing exactly what he played on the records, not to mention that there are enough subtle differences in his keyboard style to make the end result feel a bit odd and not-quite-right. I find it difficult to pin the blame on the current state of what's happening with The Stranglers' name on Toby as that would be unfair - he's a hired hand, employed by JJ & Baz (who are really driving the band (through the floor) at this point), he's there to do a job and he's doing his job and pretty much all there is to it.