New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: New keyboard player

Post by STEVEh »

Based on "JJ Burnel & Friends presents the hits of The Stranglers" current form, I'd say within a year it'll be more "why didn't I get around to listening to these albums sooner?" or "why didn't I spent money going to see Hugh live and see the actual singer and songwriter perform these songs instead of watching some sessioneers and a Toy Doll cover them?"[/quote]

You constantly infer that Hugh wrote everything and the songs are all his. Are you of the belief Hugh wrote JJ’s baselines, Dave’s keyboard riffs, Jets drum patterns.?

I suppose you have to pay to see Hugh sing the songs as if your profile is correct and you were born in 1983, you never saw it originally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:
jonimac wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 00:11 If only he had the guitar skills to be guitar led.
Great composer of guitar parts within a band, but not robust or dare I say interesting enough in the three piece setup.
He does, and a "three piece setup" *is* a band.
Hugh obviously has guitar skills, and is a totally unique composer and player of his guitar parts. Definitely interesting too.

But, he is not the most naturally fluid player, and when he plays live he has to put a lot of thought and effort into what he's doing, well that's how it looks to me anyway.
I'm not saying there's any problem with that btw, but you see some musicians play where it comes totally natural, like the guitar or whatever is just another part of their body. Hugh isn't one of those.
I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

STEVEh wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 00:33 Are you of the belief Hugh wrote JJ’s baselines, Dave’s keyboard riffs, Jets drum patterns.?
Basslines, keyboard riffs and drum patterns fall under the category of "arrangement", which is why Herbie Flowers doesn't get a co-writing credit for Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side" ...
aldinblack wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 00:41 Hugh obviously has guitar skills, and is a totally unique composer and player of his guitar parts. Definitely interesting too.

But, he is not the most naturally fluid player, and when he plays live he has to put a lot of thought and effort into what he's doing, well that's how it looks to me anyway.
I get the feeling you wouldn't be saying that if he hadn't left The Stranglers.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:
STEVEh wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 00:33 Are you of the belief Hugh wrote JJ’s baselines, Dave’s keyboard riffs, Jets drum patterns.?
Basslines, keyboard riffs and drum patterns fall under the category of "arrangement", which is why Herbie Flowers doesn't get a co-writing credit for Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side" ...
aldinblack wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 00:41 Hugh obviously has guitar skills, and is a totally unique composer and player of his guitar parts. Definitely interesting too.

I get the feeling you wouldn't be saying that if he hadn't left The Stranglers.
It's got nothing to do with him leaving the stranglers. He was the same then as he is now. It's not a criticism of him. He has his strengths and his weakness just like everyone else.
I Hate You !
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 00:41
Most MkI Stranglers songs were joint compositions. It was only towards the end of MkI that they stopped writing together.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

aldinblack wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 00:09 Sure some of his Stranglers "rearrangements" are OK, a few I could even say have even been pretty good, but there's no comparison between the 2 sets he plays, for me his own set is so much better overall.
I imagine it's difficult to hear someone playing Stranglers stuff with a different arrangement without mentally comparing it to the version that you have known for longer, whereas you don't have that situation with his solo stuff.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

droopsnoot wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 00:09 Sure some of his Stranglers "rearrangements" are OK, a few I could even say have even been pretty good, but there's no comparison between the 2 sets he plays, for me his own set is so much better overall.
I imagine it's difficult to hear someone playing Stranglers stuff with a different arrangement without mentally comparing it to the version that you have known for longer, whereas you don't have that situation with his solo stuff.
Yes absolutely, I am aware of that. As I said above my own preconceptions are maybe playing a part..
I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 10:27 Most MkI Stranglers songs were joint compositions. It was only towards the end of MkI that they stopped writing together.
The Stranglers credited everything to all four members no matter what.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 12:59
Bear Cage wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 10:27 Most MkI Stranglers songs were joint compositions. It was only towards the end of MkI that they stopped writing together.
Now I wonder why they would do that ? ……..

You actually contradict yourself with some of your posts.

Again, I shall ask.
Why does it seem (to me) like you are trolling on a group where you are a mod?

I totally get other views, particularly on Hugh. But your criticisms seems knee jerk, rather than considered at times. Although there is no rule against those sort of contributions of course :grin:

Total respect for your belief in HAC and his abilities, and also for you being a mod on the board btw!
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jonimac wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 13:17 Now I wonder why they would do that ? ……..
It's clearly a business decision to prevent themselves from bickering about money. Other bands to utilise this approach include Midge Ure-era Ultravox, Coldplay and (in the latter stages of their career) Queen, amongst others.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 13:32
jonimac wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 13:17 Now I wonder why they would do that ? ……..
It's clearly a business decision to prevent themselves from bickering about money. Other bands to utilise this approach include Midge Ure-era Ultravox, Coldplay and (in the latter stages of their career) Queen, amongst others.
True but I also remember an interview with JJ asked about this, and he said for instance when Jet puts his snare on the track he owns that song as much as the others, which is true and shows such respect for Jet, I know its been said before, but the importannce of Jet's drumming cannot be overlooked in the sound of the original lineup. Lt Kudu.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 12:59
Yes, but they also wrote together.

IIRC It was Hugh who said something along the lines of Dreamtime being the first album written predominantly separately.

Also read song by song to see how many tracks started with a group jam, or a riff or idea from one of them that was built on and developed by others.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.