French Tour Set Opener....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: French Tour Set Opener....

Post by toilerinblack »

aldinblack wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 20:22
toilerinblack wrote:So we've all seen and heard them live now with Toby and i think the song's have been ok i wouldn't of done Stallion with all that backing track with the live drums just didn't work for me, but that's the beauty of a studio versions with production making it sound as good as you like but as a live track' that's another kettle of fish to attempt doing.For me because it's such amazing and fantastic studio track i would of left it as that as sometimes some of the best studio songs don't always make the best live tracks and this for me was one of them.
interesting, how much of it was live?

Obviously the operatic sounds and other bits were not, but the guitar and bass, as well as drums, would've been played live surely?
Not alot it sounded like to me... the main vocal's were,Jim's drums were,toby's keys i couldn't tell you,the bass wasn't played much by JJ it seemed so i reackon not alot was live but that's only a guess i don't know as fact maybe someone else would know more.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

toilerinblack wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 21:07
aldinblack wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 20:22
toilerinblack wrote:So we've all seen and heard them live now with Toby and i think the song's have been ok i wouldn't of done Stallion with all that backing track with the live drums just didn't work for me, but that's the beauty of a studio versions with production making it sound as good as you like but as a live track' that's another kettle of fish to attempt doing.For me because it's such amazing and fantastic studio track i would of left it as that as sometimes some of the best studio songs don't always make the best live tracks and this for me was one of them.
interesting, how much of it was live?

Obviously the operatic sounds and other bits were not, but the guitar and bass, as well as drums, would've been played live surely?
Not alot it sounded like to me... the main vocal's were,Jim's drums were,toby's keys i couldn't tell you,the bass wasn't played much by JJ it seemed so i reackon not alot was live but that's only a guess i don't know as fact maybe someone else would know more.
I agree and was quite shocked how much was on backing track. Most of the bass was also on backing leaving JJ to sing over pre-recorded bass. A lot of acts may do this these days but I didn't think it was something The Stranglers would do. This is the band who once criticized the use of a sequencer. Sadly once this technique is introduced it's possible to use it on many songs.
Let's Boogie
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

markorbit wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 21:25 I agree and was quite shocked how much was on backing track. Most of the bass was also on backing leaving JJ to sing over pre-recorded bass. A lot of acts may do this these days but I didn't think it was something The Stranglers would do. This is the band who once criticized the use of a sequencer. Sadly once this technique is introduced it's possible to use it on many songs.
I dont think there is actually a lot of real JJ bass on the studio version, a small part at the beginning, then its all keyboard / sequencer bass. So live, that would mean that Toby would be playing the main bass line.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

It pretty much says it all doesn't it? The only original member of The Stranglers that is actually on the stage and he's barely playing anything, just singing while having a shimmy.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 21:57 It pretty much says it all doesn't it? The only original member of The Stranglers that is actually on the stage and he's barely playing anything, just singing while having a shimmy.
Plays and sings what he does on the studio version
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 22:47
StanInBlack wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 21:57 It pretty much says it all doesn't it? The only original member of The Stranglers that is actually on the stage and he's barely playing anything, just singing while having a shimmy.
Plays and sings what he does on the studio version
Seen the tracking sheet for the multitracks have you? Thought not.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Stan at his trolling best
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Well to be fair, the recorded version has so much production on it, they would have to use alot of extra backing in order to play it live, even Mk1 used backing on some songs or drum machines, ie Skin Deep, Big In America in the Hugh days have drum machine or some other system on the high hat parts, but of course White Stallion takes it to a new level,I don't see a problem if it enables the song to be played live and as someone else said the studio version of Stallion has that Keyboard pad doing alot of the Bass, JJ plays the intro live but the rest is done on the keyboard, but that sounds pre recorded to me, so the only live parts are the Vocals, Drums and Guitar and the bass intro, I really don't see the issue, blame Louie for putting all that extra production on the track. Lt Kudu. :smt005
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

alaninblack wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 22:59
Stan at his trolling best
Tell me which part of what I've said is incorrect, then.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

It does look disappointing. Deffo a backing track and you don't hear the notes JJ is playing but you do hear other bass notes. Same for vocals. If they're gonna do it they'd be better off doing this with the MKI one stuff tbh.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 23:05 Well to be fair, the recorded version has so much production on it, they would have to use alot of extra backing in order to play it live, even Mk1 used backing on some songs or drum machines, ie Skin Deep, Big In America in the Hugh days have drum machine or some other system on the high hat parts, but of course White Stallion takes it to a new level,I don't see a problem if it enables the song to be played live and as someone else said the studio version of Stallion has that Keyboard pad doing alot of the Bass, JJ plays the intro live but the rest is done on the keyboard, but that sounds pre recorded to me, so the only live parts are the Vocals, Drums and Guitar and the bass intro, I really don't see the issue, blame Louie for putting all that extra production on the track. Lt Kudu. :smt005
I love this track like you do we both do but where i disagree is if your gonna take on such a great studio song which no doubt Stallion is live but your not gonna play most of it or your instruments and mainly as a backing track then for me leave it alone,to me it doesn't do such a great studio song with all it's great full production any justice at all,sorry i don't often knock or not like anything they are doing at the moment and i also couldn't wait to hear it after i surpisingly heard it was in the set but for me it just didn't work in the slightest,i would of left it well alone as the great song it is,but hey it's only my one fan's opinion on a song i really love,the others few songs i have heard from the French gigs i do like along with Toby's incredible contribution which was rightly recognised and thanked by Baz infront of the audience which was a nice touch...well done Baz for doing that on what must of been a very hard first night for everybody again in front of it's fans again after what has happened.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 02 Dec 2021, 23:52, edited 8 times in total.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:It pretty much says it all doesn't it? The only original member of The Stranglers that is actually on the stage and he's barely playing anything, just singing while having a shimmy.
here we go...
I Hate You !