Dijon

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Dijon

Post by Yanders »

Nice n sleazy with brass really worked.

The problem is that if they were going to employ a brass section on tour, it made sense to use them on nearly every song. It clearly didn't benefit every track.

I don't believe it was just Hugh, it's not as if the others were too shy to say they thought it was a bad idea.
Last edited by Yanders on 02 Dec 2021, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 11:30
markorbit wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 11:11 White Stallion with lots on backing track. Shame it cuts off after 2mins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpnlvLNU7PA
Fucking Fantastic, a band in their final curtain call, of course and I'm Adele :smt005 JJ possibly the most out going performance ever, great disco drums from the boy Jim, and of course they would need additional backing to perform this live as so much layered production, even more gutted I wasn't there now, and I was getting over it, how anyone could look at this and say JJ bored etc? Bollocks if he is, he should win the Oscar for acting, whatever anyone says or thinks about Toby, they are still a fucking great band, sorry for swearing, Ive been looking at the clouds to long, and my god JJ looking as fit as a flea, shidokan seems to do that for you. Let's just enjoy what we have until they decide to call it a day, and a special mention for Toby, playing with confidence, I so admire him, I hope every true fan gets behind him and gives him the respect he deserves, he's a fantastic keyboard player. Lt Col Kudu, fuck I feel like promoting myself as I have been looking at my reflection in a pond to long and turned into a flower. :smt005
Toby was playing as cool as you like...i dunno how he felt inside but he certainly showed no nerves and was dancing away with backing vocals too and for me for a first outing's debut that was pretty dam impressive if your behind him or not! But like we have said about him already on here that he's a pro who's done the circuit for years where his past experiance of bands and playing to audience's certainly came into play with us also saying there would be no way he would of been picked by JJ if he hadn't been good enough in the first place,i knew he'd be fine on the night he breezed through it from only the little snippets iv'e seen and heard which will only get better with time and really getting used to this unit he's joined.So for me the future's in their hands i honestly can't see an end to this band but only the beginning of another chapter in the entity's life if only on the tour front long term for as long as they wish it run....the balls in their court.On the material front i think DM could well be their swan song.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 18:30
markorbit wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 11:11 White Stallion with lots on backing track. Shame it cuts off after 2mins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpnlvLNU7PA
Fucking Fantastic, a band in their final curtain call, of course and I'm Adele :smt005 JJ possibly the most out going performance ever, great disco drums from the boy Jim, and of course they would need additional backing to perform this live as so much layered production, even more gutted I wasn't there now, and I was getting over it, how anyone could look at this and say JJ bored etc? Bollocks if he is, he should win the Oscar for acting, whatever anyone says or thinks about Toby, they are still a fucking great band, sorry for swearing, Ive been looking at the clouds to long, and my god JJ looking as fit as a flea, shidokan seems to do that for you. Let's just enjoy what we have until they decide to call it a day, and a special mention for Toby, playing with confidence, I so admire him, I hope every true fan gets behind him and gives him the respect he deserves, he's a fantastic keyboard player. Lt Col Kudu, fuck I feel like promoting myself as I have been looking at my reflection in a pond to long and turned into a flower. :smt005
Toby was playing as cool as you like...i dunno how he felt inside but he certainly showed no nerves and was dancing away with backing vocals too and for me for a first outing's debut that was pretty dam impressive if your behind him or not! But like we have said about him already on here that he's a pro who's done the circuit for years where his past experiance of bands and playing to audience's certainly came into play with us also saying there would be no way he would of been picked by JJ if he hadn't been good enough in the first place,i knew he'd be fine on the night he breezed through it from only the little snippets iv'e seen and heard which will only get better with time and really getting used to this unit he's joined.So for me the future's in their hands i honestly can't see an end to this band but only the beginning of another chapter in the entity's life if only on the tour front long term for as long as they wish it run....the balls in their court.On the material front i think DM could well be their swan song.
Sir, Toby is great, if they want to continue for as long as they want, they have my blessing, Dave will never be forgotten but Toby is enabling the band to continue and why the fuck shouldn't they? They are still a great band and White Stallion will be one of the crowd favourites on the British tour, JJ having a ball with this one, love his clawl gesture when he mentions the Tiger ie China, now that is the country that we all need to watch, I predict stormy seas with China, they will soon overtake USA with their military capability, a scary thought, JJ very astute, of course economically they are a super power to. Lt General Kudu, I've promoted myself again. :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 20:35
toilerinblack wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 18:30

Sir, Toby is great, if they want to continue for as long as they want, they have my blessing, Dave will never be forgotten but Toby is enabling the band to continue and why the fuck shouldn't they? They are still a great band and White Stallion will be one of the crowd favourites on the British tour, JJ having a ball with this one, love his clawl gesture when he mentions the Tiger ie China, now that is the country that we all need to watch, I predict stormy seas with China, they will soon overtake USA with their military capability, a scary thought, JJ very astute, of course economically they are a super power to. Lt General Kudu, I've promoted myself again. :smt005
I agree about him great and right for the band we all wish it was different but this is the state of play and i think they have the right man.Stallion is one of my favourite tracks along with NML on DM and you can see already that this track is going to be a future favourite with the fans on the tours another classic to their historic bow joining the others lol it's a track that can be played anywhere in a set list i think start,middle or end it's just whenever they want toplay it it will sound great.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jeromeinparis wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 12:54 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YznW5VAEvDQ

White Stallion. Love that track. Brilliant live
I'd argue that it's not brilliant live at all. I'm mystified as to why they felt the need to play it if they couldn't pull it off without relying so heavily on that much backing.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 06:16
I'd argue that it's not brilliant live at all. I'm mystified as to why they felt the need to play it if they couldn't pull it off without relying so heavily on that much backing.
I'd argue, why do you care, you dont like the current line up, so why the negative comments, non stop. If they need alot of backing to pull it off, and the punters liked it, so fucking what.
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

I don’t think it’s anything to do with the line up
It’s about why we like the Stranglers (and similar) in the first place. The music, the philosophy, the attitude, the rawness of it
Performing over pre taped music is another step away from this, it’s akin to karaoke and going to see a DJ perform via his laptop
If other people like it, then fair enough, they’re entitled to their opinion and choice. But it certainly ain’t for me and I thought the band were above that type of crap
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

BankMan wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 07:41 I don’t think it’s anything to do with the line up
It’s about why we like the Stranglers (and similar) in the first place. The music, the philosophy, the attitude, the rawness of it
Performing over pre taped music is another step away from this, it’s akin to karaoke and going to see a DJ perform via his laptop
If other people like it, then fair enough, they’re entitled to their opinion and choice. But it certainly ain’t for me and I thought the band were above that type of crap
Yep I can agree with most of this, it was the rawness, attitude, very heavy bass, edgy guitar and swirling organ that got me into the Stranglers, (sorry, not the later crooning stranglers MK1). I think the issue is probably more to do with how DM was put together remotely over COVID lockdowns, Baz seemed to do a lot of studio work that JJ then approved of remotely, such as "If Something's Gonna Kill Me" (we saw that on the Rat Chats) then later on Louie Nicastro was told to make things sound "epic", again as we saw on the Rat Chats. This takes the latest incarnation of the Stranglers far away from the basic rock n roll pub rock roots, probably for the first time. I can not think of an album before that has so much production that "the boys" could not play on stage without possibly the use of backing tapes, so what should they do live ?

It's hard to tell how much was pre taped music was used and how much Toby was actually playing. Someone like the user here 8088 could possibly answer, but he seems to have moved on. JJ definitely does not play much bass on the studio version of Stallion, so why should he on stage ? As I mentioned before, it does though look somewhat awkward.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

BankMan wrote:I don’t think it’s anything to do with the line up
Gotta agree with this. I suppose if the gig is part of a night out with mates and you've had a few beers it would probably pass you by I guess.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

alaninblack wrote:
BankMan wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 07:41 I don’t think it’s anything to do with the line up
Yep I can agree with most of this, it was the rawness, attitude, very heavy bass, edgy guitar and swirling organ that got me into the Stranglers, (sorry, not the later crooning stranglers MK1). I think the issue is probably more to do with how DM was put together remotely over COVID lockdowns, Baz seemed to do a lot of studio work that JJ then approved of remotely, such as "If Something's Gonna Kill Me" (we saw that on the Rat Chats) then later on Louie Nicastro was told to make things sound "epic", again as we saw on the Rat Chats. This takes the latest incarnation of the Stranglers far away from the basic rock n roll pub rock roots, probably for the first time. I can not think of an album before that has so much production that "the boys" could not play on stage without possibly the use of backing tapes, so what should they do live ?

It's hard to tell how much was pre taped music was used and how much Toby was actually playing. Someone like the user here 8088 could possibly answer, but he seems to have moved on. JJ definitely does not play much bass on the studio version of Stallion, so why should he on stage ? As I mentioned before, it does though look somewhat awkward.
I don't like this road either but if it's just 1 or 2 songs here and there (from the as you say heavily produced DM) then I can swallow it.

I would guess that's probably why they didn't bother with If You Should See Dave or the even more heavily manufactured If Something..
I Hate You !
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 15:39
StanInBlack wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 15:28
theraven1979 wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 12:01 I think the brass works well on Aural Sculpture. It *did* work live for me on certain songs also.
I think it works really really well on both "Down in the Sewer" and "Nice 'n' Sleazy"!
For me it ruined them , completely and totally , then it's down to taste isn't it ? If you enjoy it fine , but it was that sort of stuff , plus the 10 tour and Ally Pally and the brass being there that made me think if that was the way Hugh wanted the band to go at that stage , maybe the band was better without . For me personally there are 3 ( I think , unless forgetting some ) Stranglers no-no's ..........brass , jazz and MR .
Had a sneaky feelin I had forgotten one ........accoustIc 😡
All quiet ..........
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 10:19 Had a sneaky feelin I had forgotten one ........accoustIc 😡
Tough one, but i still remember trundling along to HMV in Oxford Street, London and picking up Feline where they signed the cover in each four corners.

It was a bit like "where's the fucking bass" on first play, but it grew on me and the concerts on the Feline tour were great. I seem to remember reading Strangled at the time and the comments were something along the line of "theres as Stranglers album for all your moods" Feline being your quiet reflective mood, or something like that.