Dijon

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Dijon

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 00:53
Jake wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 23:37 I really don’t like that guitar he uses, what’s that all about?

I’ve no idea what make it is, but it looks and sounds shocking..

Just why :?:
Perhaps the reason for that is that it's NOT a standard guitar. It's a baritone guitar, specifically a Burns Barracuda model. You'll notice the fretboard is far longer. Baritone guitars are an octave lower than standard guitars, although unlike 6 string basses they're tuned to the same tuning as a standard guitar. Baz clearly uses it to get those low notes at the beginning of the song, enabling JJ to fart around on the bass in the intro.

Thanks for the explanation Stan, that makes sense, It still looks horrible though.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 13:39
jason wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 13:32 Yes but that was ruined by the brass section! :lol:
You've mis-spelled the word "enhanced" :lol:
Imo , Jason is correct , I hated the brass in that era ......how many gigs I went to and the brass destroyed everything it was in ..........something I would like to forget really . It's like , UB40 made a career by destroying other people's songs , The Stranglers were destroying their own with addition of brass .
All quiet ..........
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think the brass works well on Aural Sculpture. It *did* work live for me on certain songs also.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jeromeinparis
Down In The Sewer

Post by jeromeinparis »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YznW5VAEvDQ

White Stallion. Love that track. Brilliant live
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

jeromeinparis wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YznW5VAEvDQ

White Stallion. Love that track. Brilliant live
This is excellent! The legendary JJ Burnel giving it his all at the age of 70, its a joy to watch for me!

It's so sad that Dave is not part of it, but what can we do?

I'm still unsure about a Daveless Stranglers, but I have to congratulate the band on what they've done here.
I Hate You !
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I think I'd like to hear them take the time to create a version of White Stallion that can be played live without any backing tracks, if indeed that's what we are hearing here. Certainly it would be a different take on the song, but it could work.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by porkymeat »

Similar to the Fender Bass VI Lennon is playing in the Get Back films?
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 12:01 I think the brass works well on Aural Sculpture. It *did* work live for me on certain songs also.
I think it works really really well on both "Down in the Sewer" and "Nice 'n' Sleazy"!
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

porkymeat wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 15:07 Similar to the Fender Bass VI Lennon is playing in the Get Back films?
Yeah, along similar lines to a Bass VI. The Beatles used the Bass VI a fair bit in the late '60s, whenever McCartney was playing guitar or piano occasionally Lennon or Harrison would use the Bass VI. Probably the most notable user of the Bass VI is Robert Smith - all of the basslines on The Cure's The Top are Bass VI and he used it as a lead instrument on Disintegration etc.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 15:28
theraven1979 wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 12:01 I think the brass works well on Aural Sculpture. It *did* work live for me on certain songs also.
I think it works really really well on both "Down in the Sewer" and "Nice 'n' Sleazy"!
For me it ruined them , completely and totally , then it's down to taste isn't it ? If you enjoy it fine , but it was that sort of stuff , plus the 10 tour and Ally Pally and the brass being there that made me think if that was the way Hugh wanted the band to go at that stage , maybe the band was better without . For me personally there are 3 ( I think , unless forgetting some ) Stranglers no-no's ..........brass , jazz and MR .
All quiet ..........
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 15:39 For me it ruined them , completely and totally , then it's down to taste isn't it ? If you enjoy it fine , but it was that sort of stuff , plus the 10 tour and Ally Pally and the brass being there that made me think if that was the way Hugh wanted the band to go at that stage , maybe the band was better without . For me personally there are 3 ( I think , unless forgetting some ) Stranglers no-no's ..........brass , jazz and MR .
I'm sure it wasn't just Hugh that felt that the brass was a good idea. You'll notice that brass is mostly absent from Hugh's solo material.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Have to agree with Stan on this one the start of Sleazy with the brass really adds to the song's build up. It also enhances various musical breaks in Sewer. Kinda accentuates them. When done on the two aforementioned tracks it really works. However, songs like Peaches it grates too much.

Jim
Jon the Impaler wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 15:39
StanInBlack wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 15:28
For me it ruined them , completely and totally , then it's down to taste isn't it ? If you enjoy it fine , but it was that sort of stuff , plus the 10 tour and Ally Pally and the brass being there that made me think if that was the way Hugh wanted the band to go at that stage , maybe the band was better without . For me personally there are 3 ( I think , unless forgetting some ) Stranglers no-no's ..........brass , jazz and MR .
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"