French Tour Set Opener....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: French Tour Set Opener....

Post by toilerinblack »

The set list was good i thought with about half being MK1's that's about right after all that time period brought them their biggest single hits, albums sales,Tour sales well just about everything from that period compared to any other period from this band's history, so of course it makes sense they will do alot from that time period with also the DM tracks it's kinda what we all thought they would do...well done i say them all for pulling it off.I thought starting with Water was a masterstroke too.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Greatkudu wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 18:17

Sir your comments are valid its how you feel, I have mixed feelings about all this, of course Dave cant be replaced, Toby did a good job, and your right Baz should realise others see the band as not the band they know, but we all know that, so I will try and go to Reading next year, to be honest I was dreading what it would sound like, but I was pleasantly surprised. Lt Kudu.

Fair enough, hope that all works out for you with the Reading gig.

One thing I have to ask, if this was tour in honour of Dave why did they not play “& if you should see Dave”? Best song in the album imho, and a good way to say tgus is in his memorials but obviously that’s their decision
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Jake wrote:

Sir your comments are valid its how you feel, I have mixed feelings about all this, of course Dave cant be replaced, Toby did a good job, and your right Baz should realise others see the band as not the band they know, but we all know that, so I will try and go to Reading next year, to be honest I was dreading what it would sound like, but I was pleasantly surprised. Lt Kudu.

One thing I have to ask, if this was tour in honour of Dave why did they not play “& if you should see Dave”? Best song in the album imho, and a good way to say tgus is in his memorials but obviously that’s their decision
I thought they might open with that. Very surprised it's not in the set

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Jake wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 18:42

Well that's a very good point i really hoped that they would do some of those live or a little medley is what i suggested but hey it's their set list but yes at a tribute tour i was hoping on Dave things,but saying that i wasn't there did they say anything about Dave or did they just go ahead with doing the set list?
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

It’s good to hear that Toby did well on his first night and he’ll get better. Good for him

The issue for me is the setlist. It’s the same structure and format we’ve been seeing for the last 10-15 years. Some of the songs change every 4 or 5 years, but it’s the same old formula: some new stuff, greatest hits, one or two Mk3 songs and if you’re lucky a left field choice. And for FS we’re still getting GB and ATS mid set and NMH as the last encore

Time to shake it up and with a new keyboardist who is obviously very talented, a big opportunity missed. Play some stuff we’ve not heard for a long while: Shah, Hallow, Souls, Family, Tramp, Ships, Choosey, School Mam, (and there’ll be others)

Too much to ask I fear, but at the very least, can we not dump GB and ATS, and play a final encore song that’s not NMH
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

They'll be wanting to play it as safe as possible to appeal to as many people as possible and to make as much money as possible, because that is ultimately what all of this is all about.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

theraven1979 wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 18:46
thought they might open with that. Very surprised it's not in the set

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Even having it as an intro/outro track would have made sense
toilerinblack wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 18:49

Well that's a very good point i really hoped that they would do some of those live or a little medley is what i suggested but hey it's their set list but yes at a tribute tour i was hoping on Dave things,but saying that i wasn't there did they say anything about Dave or did they just go ahead with doing the set list?

Well, I am not sure, no one who was there has mentioned if they said a few words about Dave or not. I’m sure fans in France miss him just as much as fans elsewhere
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

StanInBlack wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 19:27 They'll be wanting to play it as safe as possible to appeal to as many people as possible and to make as much money as possible, because that is ultimately what all of this is all about.
I fear so and not very Strangler-ish

And while that approach is fine if you do Glastonbury and other festivals where you’ve got a wider spectrum of audience, for tours, put out the full range of your back catalogue, as well as your new stuff).

Looking at some of the early YouTube stuff from last night, JJ already looks half bored and Baz isn’t far off from it either

It’s all too safe as you say
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 19:27 They'll be wanting to play it as safe as possible to appeal to as many people as possible and to make as much money as possible, because that is ultimately what all of this is all about.
Well yes ultimately it's their main bread and butter nowday's as there's obviously no money in new music,but yes i'd love to hear some of the old songs that never see light of day,they probably don't want to sing to much Hugh written songs or hardly nothing from Pau's time either they seem to want to forget that period of time,but i have to agree after 10-15 years of the same sort of set list that change with just a few songs,it's certainly time to change it alot what with the new player coming in as well now.Let's have the likes of Tramp ,Hallow,JLNOE,Big in America,Shaking like a leaf the list is endless i'd love to hear more from two albums manily being La Folie and Dreamtime,but this is about a Hits tour after Dave so we are not going to get some of the ones we want to hear from them.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 30 Nov 2021, 19:56, edited 3 times in total.
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

BankMan wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 19:23 It’s good to hear that Toby did well on his first night and he’ll get better. Good for him

The issue for me is the setlist. It’s the same structure and format we’ve been seeing for the last 10-15 years. Some of the songs change every 4 or 5 years, but it’s the same old formula: some new stuff, greatest hits, one or two Mk3 songs and if you’re lucky a left field choice. And for FS we’re still getting GB and ATS mid set and NMH as the last encore

Time to shake it up and with a new keyboardist who is obviously very talented, a big opportunity missed. Play some stuff we’ve not heard for a long while: Shah, Hallow, Souls, Family, Tramp, Ships, Choosey, School Mam, (and there’ll be others)

Too much to ask I fear, but at the very least, can we not dump GB and ATS, and play a final encore song that’s not NMH
GB & ATS might well get dumped for the UK tour

But not in France,the 2 most well known tracks here

My encore will be Goodbye Toulouse
See You At The Bar
jeromeinparis
Down In The Sewer

Post by jeromeinparis »

it was great last night in Valenciennes.Really.
I did the trip from Paris. Alone... Slept just near the station, I couldn't wait to go back to paris this morning...
Valenciennes is not a very exciting city...

I was seated in the second row, just in front of JJ.

I thought they were going to start with And If You Should See Dave, but no, never ...

There was no real homage to Dave. JJ said Toby was Dave's clone, "he really is his clone".
From memory he must have said that after 30 minutes of the gig.

The solo on Walk On By was weak imo, but it's not easy to fit dave shoes I imagine.
Toby assured I find for a first live. But he's not Dave and it never will be.

On the other hand, the battery was too far forward. Boom Boom Boom.

Little boring with the same setlist since ages, but it's just my opinion.
You have to understand that people come for Always the Sun, Golden Brown, La folie (here in France), oui c'est la Folieeeee !

The highlight is White Stallion, my favorite Dark Matters track.
It was just amazing. I regretted not having filmed it.
JJ's vocals are crazy on this track.

We were all seated and masked.
Not because of the covid but it is the configuration of the venue. Superb acoustics.

The audience was on fire, not very young, but everybody was happy to be there (Here And There).
JJ was on top form, he joked a lot in French.

I have my ticket for London in February, but with the restrictions and Bojo, not sure I can go ...

Final note : 8,85/10
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Stan,

Haven't we seen you somewhere around before ?
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.