JJ Burnel Planet Rock Radio This Sunday from 7pm

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: JJ Burnel Planet Rock Radio This Sunday from 7pm

Post by theraven1979 »

Plus we're overdue a JJ solo album. Would be nice.

Jim
StanInBlack wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:51
Greatkudu wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:45 why would he want to do a solo album?
It would be the most obvious thing to do, given that he's now the only original member left. Personally, I'd rather hear a record where the driving force and vision behind it is solely that of an original member of The Stranglers than a record made by an ersatz Stranglers.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:57 Plus we're overdue a JJ solo album. Would be nice.

Jim
I think if he really put his mind to it, he'd put out some genuinely great solo work.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

It would be the most obvious thing to do, given that he's now the only original member left. Personally, I'd rather hear a record where the driving force and vision behind it is solely that of an original member of The Stranglers than a record made by an ersatz Stranglers.
It'd be interesting but I get the impression JJ seriously lacks the creative inertia to do a solo record - and if he did would we really want 40 mins of stuff like The Lines?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Agreed - Would be interesting to see what he did and what musicians he would use.

Jim
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

I'd be interested in hearing a solo JJ album, but I don't think it going to happen now. I wish he'd continued to make music independent of the stranglers to develop and make something different. It's all been a bit safe within the confines of the band.
It'd be interesting but I get the impression JJ seriously lacks the creative inertia to do a solo record - and if he did would we really want 40 mins of stuff like The Lines?
That's the risk.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 18:00 and if he did would we really want 40 mins of stuff like The Lines?
No, we wouldn't - but as Yanders just posted above, that'd be the risk. 40 minutes of stuff like "In the End", though? Yes please! Or even something outside of his comfort zone that he wouldn't have been able to do under The Stranglers' name.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

A breezy slab of Europop would be most welcome

Jim
STEVEh

Post by STEVEh »

JJ is 70 next year and appears to have got very comfortable in the South of France. Personally, I think he will dothe contracted dates and then review everything and may call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

STEVEh wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 00:54 JJ is 70 next year and appears to have got very comfortable in the South of France. Personally, I think he will dothe contracted dates and then review everything and may call it a day.

Yes I think so to,but if the live reaction is positive it may convince him to carry on, to be honest I've seen the Stranglers hundreds of times, how many more times do I really need to see them? I have ticket for first French date and for Reading next year, but if I don't like the new keyboard player when i hear him, I will hang up my shoes. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

jonimac wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 11:49 In JJ’s recent Rockonteurs interview it seemed pretty plain that JJ and Baz will continue to wrote songs. As he saw it, the only question was whether it came under The Stranglers umbrella, and in the interview he suggested it might.
Dark Matters critical acclaim and chart placing surely only reinforces this?

What was also highlighted was the increasing demand in the last ten years for the band to play live.
If you are a professional musician, still fit, and enjoy what you do, why wouldn’t you continue?
If people are happy to pay for you to perform the band’s songs live, crack on I say.
Absolutely right, its their work why shouldnt they carry on
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

8088 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 18:00
One minute of The Lines is one more minute than I listen to , it's a bit pointless really , now if it was Detectiv Privee ,Nuclear Power , Freddie Laker etc , yes please ......but not The Lines , or Down style stuff .
All quiet ..........
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

STEVEh wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 00:54 JJ is 70 next year and appears to have got very comfortable in the South of France. Personally, I think he will dothe contracted dates and then review everything and may call it a day.

Retire and do the book ? I think maybe the band have gone as far as they can now , finish on a high otherwise the risk of another Giants or another 7 or 8 years . The ideas musically seem thin now , while they may have the odd subject inspiration ( Water , Stallion ) . Do they call it a day next year , or is the baton passed on to Baz to pick his own band for a while . I don't think there would be much call for a band with no original members playing under the name but I may be wrong ........you would just be hearing "it's not the same ..........." throughout gigs.
The end is probably nigh .
All quiet ..........