Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 11:32 How do you know what JJ will or won't do in the future? Do we file this next to your "Bloke with the funny hair" prediction on the new keyboardist?! :lol:

Jim

Greatkudu wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 11:30 JJ won't go solo, he will work with Baz and Jim and carry on the Stranglers name, but for how long after they have completed commitments? Fuck knows, they don't even know, so my advice is support the band on the final big tour, i will give you my infamous thoughts if I can go to the first French Date. Lt Kudu.
I don't have a crystal ball, but i make my judgement from what i read from JJ, he enjoys the collaboration, so I think he will carry on making music as long as he wants under the Stranglers banner? But none of us know at the moment. And the keyboard player with the funny hair was Arthur's prediction not mine. Lt Kudu. :smt005
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 20:35 Better! Who you got in mind?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
This guy probably....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPRbDaC4A5U
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 21:13
theraven1979 wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 20:35 Better! Who you got in mind?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
This guy probably....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPRbDaC4A5U
My god what an amazing player. Lt Kudu.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 19:29
8088 wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 09:56 DNB yes, the others no - they'd need completely rearranging and therefore lose their identity.

EDIT: Actually, Genetix transposes quite easily to a three chord strum and retains it's integrity (mostly.)
Speaking as someone who has spent a lot of time looking into how most of those MKI songs work, it wouldn't be hard to put together acoustic versions of any of those songs. Including "Down in the Sewer" and "Just Like Nothing on Earth" ... that they'd sound different is a given, but their essential musical ingredients would still hold up.
Please can we ban that word .......accoustic .
All quiet ..........
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

"I thought that if you had an acoustic guitar
Then it meant that you were a protest singer
Oh, I can smile about it now but at the time, it was terrible..."
Young Mr Grace
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Young Mr Grace »

StanInBlack wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 19:44
aldinblack wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 13:03 some work well, some less so, and others No Way!
...and to get back to the original point, "White Stallion" just flat out doesn't work at all. As a song, as a production, as anything.
You're able to reach this conclusion after a couple of listens over a month ago?
You can't keep up with me.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

My big revelation is that I like Baz’s vocals on “If something’s gonna kill me it might as well be love”, it’s literally one of the only songs that I can say that about. The verses are really good, hate to say it sound almost Cornwell style with a bit of Paul Roberts. I’m less keen on the style of vocals on “ Innocence has left thus town, etc”, the “Earthquakes may happen”, that’s good.
I seem to recall that this is a song which doesn’t feature Dave :( which makes it all the stranger

The brass bit is good too, very Aural Sculpture
giants
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by giants »

Wow' the guy doing don't bring harry' who is he? Its amazing! Some very talented people out there.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

White Stallion works for me lyrically, sonically, melodically, rhythmically and production and arrangements to, I really don't know what's to dislike about this song? But we all hear different things. Lt Kudu.

Yes before the grammar Police Taser me, my grammatical errors are deliberate Governor.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Greatkudu wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 23:07 White Stallion works for me lyrically, sonically, melodically, rhythmically and production and arrangements to, I really don't know what's to dislike about this song? But we all hear different things. Lt Kudu.

Yes before the grammar Police Taser me, my grammatical errors are deliberate Governor.
I’m not blown away by White Stallion musically, though I appreciate the stranglers trying something in that direction, but I love JJs vocals on it, had a blast of the olde Dark Matters album tonight and that was something I took away 5 weeks on.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jake wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 00:45
Greatkudu wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 23:07 White Stallion works for me lyrically, sonically, melodically, rhythmically and production and arrangements to, I really don't know what's to dislike about this song? But we all hear different things. Lt Kudu.

I’m not blown away by White Stallion musically, though I appreciate the stranglers trying something in that direction, but I love JJs vocals on it, had a blast of the olde Dark Matters album tonight and that was something I took away 5 weeks on.
Don't lie I bet you have been listening to the new Adele song all night. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 01:15
Don't lie I bet you have been listening to the new Adele song all night. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Haha, don’t you remember JJ said he liked Adele, hard to tell how serious he was being though