dark matters chart chances

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Cricklewood
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: dark matters chart chances

Post by Cricklewood »

R0ssMc wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 15:16 Does Spotify show the number of plays of all Stranglers Albums? Can you share a link please? I'd love to see a ranking, but can never find it?

It does if you use their PC application instead of web player. I can screenshot some of them for you...

Dark Matters.PNG
Dark Matters.PNG (54.63 KiB) Viewed 390 times

Not too shabby so far. For comparison this is how much Rattus is being played on the platform

Rattus.PNG
Rattus.PNG (75.12 KiB) Viewed 390 times

Of course none of them altogether are gonna beat Golden Brown :smile:
GB.PNG
GB.PNG (3.57 KiB) Viewed 390 times

It's a shame Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI aren't on there anymore. Would love to see how they stack up
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Cricklewood wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 01:40 It does if you use their PC application instead of web player. I can screenshot some of them for you...

Dark Matters.PNG

Not too shabby so far.
Given that "This Song", "And if You Can See Dave..." and "If Something's Gonna Kill Me" were all released to Spotify prior to the album (and therefore we can take this data out of the equation), I can see that "Water" has 59,038 plays and "Breathe" has 32,211. Conclusion? Most people listening to the album on Spotify are losing interest in the album before it reaches the end.
Cricklewood wrote: For comparison this is how much Rattus is being played on the platform

Rattus.PNG
Obviously in a different league entirely!
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 09:18
Cricklewood wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 01:40 It does if you use their PC application instead of web player. I can screenshot some of them for you...

Dark Matters.PNG

Not too shabby so far.
Given that "This Song", "And if You Can See Dave..." and "If Something's Gonna Kill Me" were all released to Spotify prior to the album (and therefore we can take this data out of the equation), I can see that "Water" has 59,038 plays and "Breathe" has 32,211. Conclusion? Most people listening to the album on Spotify are losing interest in the album before it reaches the end.
This is true for most albums on spotify, go and look at any other artist. I just looked at Hugh's last few albums and it's a similar story.
I also know it to be broadly true for our latest album Generation Ostrich, although our numbers are still too small for anyone else to be able to see them...
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 09:18 Conclusion? Most people listening to the album on Spotify are losing interest in the album before it reaches the end.
If we used that logic based on the Rattus stats, with the similar exception of the singles, the same could be said of it - starts well with Sometimes but then people lose interest.

Not really a conclusive observation.
Last edited by 8088 on 03 Oct 2021, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

8088 wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 10:12
StanInBlack wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 09:18 Conclusion? Most people listening to the album on Spotify are losing interest in the album before it reaches the end.
If we used that logic based on the Rattus stats, with the similar exception of the singles, the same could be said of it - starts well with Sometimes but then people loose interest.

Looking at the two stats yes your right really like you say with exception of the singles,intresting to see though but kind of what i expected between the first and last album overall.It just goes to show how for the artist the money once earn't from their original songs just isn't there anymore which is such a shame i think as their only real bread and butter nowday's is in the gigs only.It is a real shame for all those songwriters out there still producing such good quality songs that once apon a time would of earn't them a bloody good living, but that's the sign of the times we are living in with today's social media and access to artists material,the killing off of the vinyl was the biggest mistake ever made in music i feel,but that's how it went and you can't turn the clock back.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 03 Oct 2021, 13:28, edited 21 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 10:12 If we used that logic based on the Rattus stats, with the similar exception of the singles, the same could be said of it - starts well with Sometimes but then people loose interest.

'xcept that "Down in the Sewer" doesn't have the lowest number of plays for Rattus, and "Breathe" DOES have the lowest number of plays for Dark Matters. What the Rattus data DOES tell me is that a lot of people have the tendency to skip "Ugly", that "Hanging Around, "Grip" and "Peaches" feature on a (or several) compilations, and that some people check out the album (with it being an obvious starting point, given that it's their first album) - have a quick listen to the first track - and decide that it isn't for them.
Cricklewood

Post by Cricklewood »

Generally all albums have a downward trend as they go except for singles or the ones that happens to be used elsewhere (in films or tv etc). I wouldn't look into it that much tbh. I'd imagine there's a chunk of Spotify users who'd only listen to generated playlists and radios rather than sit down with an entire album. It's a little self perpetuated at times as I notice the platform would push popular tracks to their automated playlists from time to time.

Anyway following on from my earlier point that DM isn't their least-streamed album, here's Coup for comparison:
Coup.PNG
Coup.PNG (65.84 KiB) Viewed 324 times
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

STEVEh wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 23:53 Amazon appear to be out of stock as they are currently saying it is available from 21st October.

In the first week there were HMV stores tweeting they were out of stock and then a few days later saying it was back in stock.
Still no sign of it in Tesco on Saturday morning. Neither of the two local towns have a proper record shop, so it would only be a supermarket where a casual purchaser could buy it.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Cricklewood wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 14:26 Generally all albums have a downward trend as they go except for singles or the ones that happens to be used elsewhere (in films or tv etc). I wouldn't look into it that much tbh. I'd imagine there's a chunk of Spotify users who'd only listen to generated playlists and radios rather than sit down with an entire album. It's a little self perpetuated at times as I notice the platform would push popular tracks to their automated playlists from time to time.

Anyway following on from my earlier point that DM isn't their least-streamed album, here's Coup for comparison:

Coup.PNG
Intresting glad you put up more stats,jesus this albums's stats are bad just goes to show that DM's not doing to bad then in comparison.I mean this for me was their worst album post Hugh anyway.I wonder what the stats are for NC,Suite and Giants are out of curiosity.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

How do the stats compare against Hugh's Monster?
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

jason wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 19:48 How do the stats compare against Hugh's Monster?
How do you think? :lol:
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

"Known Only Unto God" being the least played track on Coup de Grace is absolutely no fucking surprise to me whatsoever.