dark matters chart chances

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: dark matters chart chances

Post by Yanders »

Steve Lamacq just mentioned the new album, and that its selling well. Didn't play the single, though.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Yanders wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 16:44 Steve Lamacq just mentioned the new album, and that its selling well. Didn't play the single, though.
Strange that 6 Music aren't really supporting the album isn't. Surely they could have at least played some of the singles occasionally. :(
Cricklewood

Post by Cricklewood »

jason wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 15:43 I don't think No Man's Land would do anything if it was released. Surely it's too uncommercial. I think all 3 singles released should have got attention but haven't so I'm not sure if anything would do well as a single now.
Agreed, I can't really see them do another single once the album drops off during the 2nd week. It's not really a long game for older acts these days and I think "Should See Dave" had done enough to put the band back on the map before the album imo.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

jason wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 16:47 Strange that 6 Music aren't really supporting the album isn't. Surely they could have at least played some of the singles occasionally. :(
Honestly? I don't think its strange at all. Liz kershaw would if she had her show still, but I don't think it fits with a lot that's on 6 music at the moment.

They'll get a good chart position in the same way iron maiden did - by promoting heavy to existing fans without the need to gain a new audience.
Paul
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Paul »

I listen to radio 2 a lot at work and they have really been plugging the manics and steps for weeks now, they keep plugging their online concerts on the website and have given heavy airplay to both band's' previous singles for ages.
No chance we could have overtook them but 3 is great in the midweek chart, a top 20 or even a top 10 overall would be excellent.
:smt006
....near the nearside window.....
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Yanders wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 16:44 Steve Lamacq just mentioned the new album, and that its selling well. Didn't play the single, though.
He did say he was going to try to play something from it at some point, don't know when. He didn't mention the title, did he? I was only half listening.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 12:02 Just listening to the Steps album "for context" - I quite like it, especially A Hundred Years Of Winter - they could've sold that title to the Manics :lol:
Ah ha we have found the culprit, you have been buying the Steps album in bulk to sabotage Dark Matters.Lt Kudu. :smt005

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 19:34
8088 wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 12:02 Just listening to the Steps album "for context" - I quite like it, especially A Hundred Years Of Winter - they could've sold that title to the Manics :lol:
Ah ha we have found the culprit, you have been buying the Steps album in bulk to sabotage Dark Matters.Lt Kudu. :smt005
Nah...just a few clicks on Spotify. I'm a Steps novice but it's seems fairly competent synth pop, I don't begrudge them their success.

What do the charts means anymore though? I see Saint Etienne are new at 14 and as much as I love them, it's rubbish.
STEVEh

Post by STEVEh »

Saw this on a twitter search. Don’t know for sure if the figures in brackets represent overall sales or not.

1 Manic Street Preachers - The Ultra Vivid Lament (19,186)

2 Steps - What the Future Holds, Pt. 2 (16,277)

3 The Stranglers - Dark Matters (10,076)

4 The Vaccines - Back in Love City (6,661)

5 Drake - Certified Lover Boy (6,241)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

Just for comparison, at the same time last week iron maiden had sold nearly 30,000. Something like 44k by the end of the week. Drake sold 46k.

I wonder if that's why the manics moved their release date?

BuzzJack is good site if you're into that sort of thing.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 20:08
Greatkudu wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 19:34
Nah...just a few clicks on Spotify. I'm a Steps novice but it's seems fairly competent synth pop, I don't begrudge them their success.

What do the charts means anymore though? I see Saint Etienne are new at 14 and as much as I love them, it's rubbish.
Your Punishment for even admitting to playing Steps is you will have to wear a Steps t shirt all week, hold your head in shame Sir, I thought I was the only Steps fan on here. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

Yanders wrote:Just for comparison, at the same time last week iron maiden had sold nearly 30,000. Something like 44k by the end of the week. Drake sold 46k.

I wonder if that's why the manics moved their release date?

BuzzJack is good site if you're into that sort of thing.
Manics definitely moved their release Date to avoid Maiden and Drake.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk