Manics - Ultra Vivid Lament

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Manics - Ultra Vivid Lament

Post by jason »

This sounds good but I've been totally distracted by Dark Matters. Typical isn't it your two favourite band release their albums on the same day! :?
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

theraven1979 wrote:Diapause - probably the only song on the album not dripping in Abba is IMO the best song. Hints of Roxy Music but catchy as fuck.

Jim
Manics and Abba sounds interesting...Will have to download it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OpMYuBMUBk Probably the most Abba I guess - defo on the chorus!

To me this is pure Bryan Ferry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr10kravwkM

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

This new album has got me re-listening to their entire back catalogue, and... y'know, when it's time for them to call it a day, they can be very confident that they've left behind a rich catalogue that's just choc-full of excellent stuff. I love it how even at this stage of their career, and with the same three core members (yeah, Richey fans, I can hear you there at the back), they're still able to find ways to keep things fresh even if James Dean Bradfield's melodic sense remains as identifiable as ever.

I'd rank 'em like this:

The Holy Bible (even though I barely listen to it anymore)
Everything Must Go
Journal for Plague Lovers
Futurology
Send Away the Tigers (that sound you hear is the sound of Jim exploding :lol:)
Gold Against the Soul
Lifeblood
Postcards from a Young Man
Know Your Enemy
Resistance is Futile
This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours
Generation Terrorists
Rewind the Film

Haven't decided where the new one ranks yet, but I'm still getting a hell of a lot of mileage out of it.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 14:03 This new album has got me re-listening to their entire back catalogue, and... y'know, when it's time for them to call it a day, they can be very confident that they've left behind a rich catalogue that's just choc-full of excellent stuff. I love it how even at this stage of their career, and with the same three core members (yeah, Richey fans, I can hear you there at the back), they're still able to find ways to keep things fresh even if James Dean Bradfield's melodic sense remains as identifiable as ever.

I'd rank 'em like this:

The Holy Bible (even though I barely listen to it anymore)
Everything Must Go
Journal for Plague Lovers
Futurology
Send Away the Tigers (that sound you hear is the sound of Jim exploding :lol:)
Gold Against the Soul
Lifeblood
Postcards from a Young Man
Know Your Enemy
Resistance is Futile
Generation Terrorists
Rewind the Film

Haven't decided where the new one ranks yet, but I'm still getting a hell of a lot of mileage out of it.
Interesting. It's not often I feel like picking a whole album to listen to so my memories of some of the albums are a bit sketchy, but that certainly helps me pick out my favourites and the ones I just don't really care about. I'd go for this as my ranking at the mo:

Generation Terrorists
Holy Bible
Futurology
Everything Must Go
Know Your Enemy
Gold Against the Soul
Journal For Plague Lovers
Lifeblood
Send Away The Tigers
Postcards From A Young Man
Ultra Vivid Lament
Resistance Is Futile
Rewind The Film

It would be more accurate to say it's my three favourites, then four solid good ones, three decent but patchy ones, an ok one, then three disappointing ones.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

The thing about Rewind the Film is that I'm barely ever in the mood for it, yet I still get "Show Me the Wonder" cropping up in my head randomly. Overall, that one strikes me as being one of their most underrated singles.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

The Holy Bible
Generation Terrorists
Gold Against The Soul
Everything Must Go

The rest...N/A

I had a girlfriend who had a signed promo copy of Gen Terrorists she wanted to swap for my £1 oxfam shop leather jacket and I refused...one of my bigger mistakes :lol:
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

8088 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 14:31 The Holy Bible
Generation Terrorists
Gold Against The Soul
Everything Must Go

The rest...N/A

I had a girlfriend who had a signed promo copy of Gen Terrorists she wanted to swap for my £1 oxfam shop leather jacket and I refused...one of my bigger mistakes :lol:
Blimey, what a missed opportunity :lol:
Have you checked out Futurology? There's some great stuff on there.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 14:30 The thing about Rewind the Film is that I'm barely ever in the mood for it, yet I still get "Show Me the Wonder" cropping up in my head randomly. Overall, that one strikes me as being one of their most underrated singles.
I dunno, I just found that one a bit too cringeworthy tbh.
I also am barely ever in the mood for that album. Sometimes I get Sullen Welsh Heart stuck in my head but it doesn't spur me on to actually put it on.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 15:08 I dunno, I just found that one a bit too cringeworthy tbh.
I really like the Dexys-ness of it. My highlights of Rewind the Film are the obvious ones, pretty much - "Show Me the Wonder", the title track, "This Sullen Welsh Heart"... the first three tracks, basically! I can't believe they worked on that one and Futurology simultaneously - the two records couldn't be any more different.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 15:11
parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 15:08 I dunno, I just found that one a bit too cringeworthy tbh.
I really like the Dexys-ness of it. My highlights of Rewind the Film are the obvious ones, pretty much - "Show Me the Wonder", the title track, "This Sullen Welsh Heart"... the first three tracks, basically! I can't believe they worked on that one and Futurology simultaneously - the two records couldn't be any more different.
Agreed, Futurology was a really nice surprise and I played that loads when it came out. Some great bass throughout the album and some good singalong choruses like Misguided Missile.
Might even put Futurology on this afternoon now, this has put me in the mood.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 15:06 Have you checked out Futurology? There's some great stuff on there.
Yes, I'm sure there were songs I liked - same as with most of their later albums, it's just they never get fixed in memory - more of a "too much to listen too - too little time" effect than a qualitative judgement.