Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 14:05
Greatkudu wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 13:35 as for Stans criticism on snare on Man on Moon,sounds fine to me as a to heavy snare sound would ruin the song
I agree that an '80s Phil Collins type of snare sound would have been unsuitable for the track. I mean, that's obviously a given and obviously not what I was saying.
Well , Phil Collins is just unsuitable 😁
All quiet ..........
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I’m not particularly keen on “lines”, and not overly offended either, it works alright as a closer for side one of the vinyl. I thought it very similar to a Pink Floyd track “Mother” from The Wall, or a solo Roger Waters track from “When the Wind Blows”.

Also Is “Pay Day” deliberately reprising “Dutch Moon”? It also slightly reminds me of a track from the last Killing Joke album Pylon called “Big Buzz”
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

Well listened now for over 24 hours as must say I've changed my mind so many times of my top tracks which tells me it its a absolute cracker of album love it start to finish the band should be proud of themselves in my opinion between this and Norfolk coast its there best 2 since aural sculpture
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

stuartinblack wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 19:20 Well listened now for over 24 hours as must say I've changed my mind so many times of my top tracks which tells me it its a absolute cracker of album love it start to finish the band should be proud of themselves in my opinion between this and Norfolk coast its there best 2 since aural sculpture
Here here, they have done Dave and fans proud, maybe it's to early but I think it stands up in its own way, to some of the classics, but I've only listened once, and I like the Lines, it stands up better as an album track, it fits and they have done a great job with choosing in which order to put the tracks, they really have pulled out all the stops, I salute the band and Louie. Well done chaps. Lt kudu. :smt006
Ian Craig
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Ian Craig »

Just listening through it now. Sounds great. I'm thinking that a good video idea for No Man's Land might include them performing in a circle with a drone spinning upward to view them from above i.e. like the track is taking an overview of the pointlessness of battles/wars during the 'nobody moves, nobody gets hurt' section (possibly croosfading with footage, real or performed) of troops in trenches. That's what I think would look good with the end of the track anyway
(Only allowed one url, see profile for other links)
My Youtube comedy arsing about stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5cw3_h ... NhBBPcGoDK
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 19:52
stuartinblack wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 19:20 Well listened now for over 24 hours as must say I've changed my mind so many times of my top tracks which tells me it its a absolute cracker of album love it start to finish the band should be proud of themselves in my opinion between this and Norfolk coast its there best 2 since aural sculpture
Here here, they have done Dave and fans proud, maybe it's to early but I think it stands up in its own way, to some of the classics, but I've only listened once, and I like the Lines, it stands up better as an album track, it fits and they have done a great job with choosing in which order to put the tracks, they really have pulled out all the stops, I salute the band and Louie. Well done chaps. Lt kudu. :smt006
yes they have done Dave proud and it has turned out in my opinion the album we were hoping it would be.There is creativeness,difference and quality of songs and production.My only criticism or disappointment to an album that had so many Baz solo instrumentals and parts along with Jim's great percussion was the lack of any real JJ lead bass solo parts. This album with tracks like breathe and No man's land and even maybe White Stallion which were all great tracks that were crying out for a JJ solo special like in The Raven,we know he more than loves playing his Genetix lead bass parts live,so why wouldn't he not want to do any more like that.For me on a very good album that's the only thing i would of liked them to of added or lengthened more of,but the basslines to DM jj has done are fantastic in themselves it's just frustrating a bit they they are not longer.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 11 Sep 2021, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 22:47
yes they have done Dave proud and it has turned out in my opinion the album we were hoping it would be.There is creativeness,difference and quality of songs and production.My only criticism or disappointment to an album that had so many Baz solo instrumentals and parts along with Jim's great percussion was the lack of any real JJ lead bass parts.Why oh why has this not really happened since post Hugh? this album with tracks like breathe and No man's land and even maybe White Stallion which were tracks that were crying out for a JJ solo part special for him to work his magic,i miss what he used to do in the likes of The Raven solo's,we know he more than loves playing his Genetix lead bass parts live,so why wouldn't he not want to do any more like that.For me on a very good album that's the only thing i would of liked them to of added or lengthened more of,but the basslines to DM are fantastic in themselves it's just i wanted longer bass parts and solo's. ...lol
post-Hugh bass solo bits can be found in: Wet Afternoon, Summat Outanowt, Mine All Mine,
plus other very prominent bass parts (but not full blown solos) in: intro to I Don't Agree, Heaven Or Hell intro and before the guitar solo, a short one in Brainbox, See Me Coming intro, No Reason intro...
there may be more that's just from memory...
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

parasiteinblack wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 23:01

yes they have done Dave proud and it has turned out in my opinion the album we were hoping it would be.There is creativeness,difference and quality of songs and production.My only criticism or disappointment to an album that had so many Baz solo instrumentals and parts along with Jim's great percussion was the lack of any real JJ lead bass parts.Why oh why has this not really happened since post Hugh? this album with tracks like breathe and No man's land and even maybe White Stallion which were tracks that were crying out for a JJ solo part special for him to work his magic,i miss what he used to do in the likes of The Raven solo's,we know he more than loves playing his Genetix lead bass parts live,so why wouldn't he not want to do any more like that.For me on a very good album that's the only thing i would of liked them to of added or lengthened more of,but the basslines to DM are fantastic in themselves it's just i wanted longer bass parts and solo's. ...lol
post-Hugh bass solo bits can be found in: Wet Afternoon, Summat Outanowt, Mine All Mine,
plus other very prominent bass parts (but not full blown solos) in: intro to I Don't Agree, Heaven Or Hell intro and before the guitar solo, a short one in Brainbox, See Me Coming intro, No Reason intro...
Yes,it's not a knock becuase i like DM very much,but the solos your on about are nothing in the league of JJ's Genetix high standard quality or The Raven as a whole.Baz has several long guitar solo parts to many of this albums tracks which are all very nice,but where are JJ's?
Maybe he thought the tracks didn't need,i just think the lack of lead bass solo's would of made this album sound even better.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 23:06
parasiteinblack wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 23:01
Yes,it's not a knock becuase i like DM very much,but the solos your on about are nothing in the league of JJ's Genetix high standard quality or The Raven as a whole.Baz has loads and long too guitar solo parts to many of this albums tracks which are all very nice,but where are JJ's?
Maybe he thought the tracks didn't need it as well,i just think they would of made the tracks sound even better.
It's about what serves the song best I think, none of the guitar solos felt out of place from the few times through I've listened so far. I think the only song that might have been able to accommodate a Genetix-style solo would probably be White Stallion. Maybe there will be a 12" mix which will sate your 4-string longing...

Regarding the old tracks:
I'd say the Summat solo was a good traditional one in the style of Genetix and I like the Wet Afternoon one for being so off the wall, but yeah the Mine All Mine one is a bit short and sweet. Even I can play that one...
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yes White Stallion would of been a great song for a JJ special,but saying that his bass lines are fantastic on this track alone,i really like what he has done,again it's not a knock it just would of been nice to of had a few specials like we know he can do,especially if this was to be their last one,hopefully it's not for the many who wish a continuation after DM.
porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by porkymeat »

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 19:52 Here here, they have done Dave and fans proud
You sure it isn't Hear! Hear!? Maybe go for Hear! Here! to cover both bases. Or Here! Hear!.
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

Did a poll on the sister site on Facebook to gauge best track on first few hearings and as I know a few people here don't do Facebook I thought I would update on results so far to add to debate. So about 15 hours in with over 200 votes cast, this is the tally from Facebook BUT members so far with three tracks well above the rest. Not sure how to do a poll here but wonder if the results would be similar looking at comments so far?

1 This Song. 66 votes
2 Last Men on Moon. (51)
3 White Stallion. (38)
4 Breathe (18)
5 The Lines (10)
6 No Man's Land (9)
7= Water (8)
7 = If Something (8)
9 And If You Should (6)
10 Down (5)
11 Payday (4)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk