Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

Post by kenl »

Just listening now, very emotional. If you should see Dave breaks me, had other sad events in the last year - won't go there.

Anyway, up to the Lines. Very impressed so far.

Long live the Stranglers and Jet.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Been playing the last minute or two of breathe musically beautiful from baz's guitar.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 10 Sep 2021, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

ricam wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 20:03

I'm working long shifts (thanks NHS) this weekend so I'll no time to listen yet but I'm going to say (judging by Stans numerous MK5 posts) that this is a tentative thumbs up from the man?
I may, of course, be completely wrong on that. Image.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
I for one have no problem if Stan doesn't like it . It's not going to hit the spot for everyone ,. Plus it's very early days , in fact day one , this is initial thoughts and time can change all this .I'm not going to have a go at anyone who doesn't like it ........ Look at Giants initially , I got mine late and wondered what all the fuss was about , gradually reviews changed , people changed and I think with time people disliked it more than liked it . So far , overall , I like this one....there are a few I will probably skip ( Down , Lines , Breathe ) . See how it stands in nine years like Giants now .

[/quote]
All quiet ..........
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

Faves for me, Water,Stallion & Breathe.
Listening to Breathe reminds me it could belong on Ian McNabbs album 'Head like a Rock' with Crazy Horse ....

One small thing, 'Water' is an 'old' song these days .... but only Credited to Burnel/Warne? even tho it was very much created with DG, and also IYSSD is also just credited to the both of them.

Ready for the new 'Rattus' venture maybe?
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Jet IS The Stranglers
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 19:58 Only a few negative reviews on here. Lt kudu.
Yes it seems to have been very positive for the band,we will always like or dislike different tracks that's peoples different music tastes.I've been
very pleased overall, it will be intresting to see which ones they will do live come tour time,i'd love them to do No Man's Land....Fantastic song from this album.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 21:18
Jet IS The Stranglers
Yes he is and always will be,i hope he likes this finished album too,love live Jet and the stranglers entity as a whole.
shah
The Raven
The Raven

Post by shah »

"the Spotify credits (and by extension the actual publishing credits) state that all songs are written by Burnel/Warne aside from "No Man's Land" (Burnel/Macaulay/Warne) and "This Song" (Burnel/Seamarks/Warne)"

Hold on...Dave gets no credit - Dave's missus not getting anything here then? That's a bit of a poor show. He's on 8 tracks! What happened to the four muskateers no arguments thingy?
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

shah wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 21:34 "the Spotify credits (and by extension the actual publishing credits) state that all songs are written by Burnel/Warne aside from "No Man's Land" (Burnel/Macaulay/Warne) and "This Song" (Burnel/Seamarks/Warne)"

Hold on...Dave gets no credit - Dave's missus not getting anything here then? That's a bit of a poor show. He's on 8 tracks! What happened to the four muskateers no arguments thingy?
No Dave intresting point.
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

I think everyone has said everything that needs to be said.

Water - So Stranglers - 9-10 years too late! Like it.
This Song - Love most of it. Like Baz on this - His best vocal as a Strangler imho. Hate Davy Jones's locker - Ruins in!
Dave - I played this to death a while back in a melancholic mood .
Kill Me - And beyond this point lies quirkiness and demos (lots of ideas forced together)
No Man's Land - Oh! Ears pricked up! Have You Got Enough Time!!! JJ's bass!! If only that bit could have been expanded into a song in its own right.
Lines - I liked this when I first heard it. Not something I'd listen to though. Can see myself humming this when doing other stuff.
Payday - The first notes - Elvis Costello Radio radio! Liked this live and liked it here...until the sodding fog lifted! Were they trying to find a way to ruin it? If so, they succeeded.
Down - JJ sounds very old and out of tune. I wonder how Paul would have tackled this?
Moon - Its a Baz solo song
Stallion - Quite like the way it starts and progresses. I even like the kissing in the rain bits. :smt035 I don't like the opera - Just why? :smt011
Breathe - Reminded me of the Pearl & Dean cinema advert in one part! A non-Stranglers ending to the Stranglers :(

In summary: The songs all have good bits and bad bits. I'd put it in the 'Footprints in the Desert' category if I'm honest. Would I buy it if it wasn't the Stranglers? No! :smt102 Am I pleased I bought it? Yes! :smt020 Farewell the Stranglers. Thank you for many years of enjoyment. :smt022
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

It has met my expectations which weren't high.I'm neither disappointed nor enthused.It is what it is.It's OK.Have played it twice but am in no hurry for a third listen just yet.
Last edited by Ruby on 11 Sep 2021, 10:59, edited 2 times in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Good to see some negative comments on here to, was getting worried as to many positive ones, I will make my own Judgement if my fucking copy ever makes it by Camel Train from Sunny Preston. Lt kudu. :smt005