Wyatting

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Wyatting

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

I can’t even remember when I first heard this term used, it did make me laugh though and I thought I’ve been doing this ‘Wyatting’ on and off for a long time probably without realising it.

Me and my mate did some ‘Wyatting’ two weeks ago in our local Social Club and it didn’t go down too well which of course is the point.
More of that later.

So anyone else done a bit of Wyatting recently?
How did it go?
Upset the locals? Get lynched? Get beaten up, get barred?......etc?

Wyatting.
The practice of deliberately selecting annoying or extreme music on an mp3 jukebox to cause irritation to others has become known as Wyatting. This is a reference to prog/artrock musician Robert Wyatt and his 'Dondestan' album, typical of the kind of record a Wyatter would choose. It is generally agreed that the most effective music for Wyatting is that of US avant-garde quasi-operatic vocalist Diamanda Galas. Other common choices include the most well known exponents of free-jazz, improv/noise music and euro-prog-metal, though the latter is chosen because it is considered naff, uncool and embarassing, not because it has the effect normally required of music regarded as good for Wyatting.
Last edited by Arthur Streeb-Greebling on 07 Sep 2021, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Wyatting

Post by jason »

That sounds quite funny. It would be funny to put something like Waltzinblack on repeat all night in a pub wouldn't it!
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

There was a pub I went to in Norwich that constantly had Bon Jovi/Guns n Roses stuff on, they got a blast of Laurie Anderson's "O Superman". We had to leave before it had finished...

The bowling alley used to have a jukebox but they got rid of it a short time after I put "Chocolate Salty Balls" and the unedited "Peaches" on. Shame.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

We did it again, well my mate did, some 14 min epic song by his fave Norwegian Black Death Non- Binary Metal Jazz Folk band or summat.
Did the trick though, the lass behind the bar came out and rebooted the jukebox after about 7 mins of the song. I told my mate he should get his money back cos that cost you 20p and you only got 7 mins worth. He wasn’t bothered, just wanted to leave cos he was getting funny looks and thought he might get his head kicked in by the local pissed up chav crackheads.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

The opposite also works - go a pub commonly frequented by metalheads and put on the poppiest, plasticy, most mainstream/lower common denominator thing you can possibly find on the jukebox, although why some of these places DON'T remove shit like that from their jukeboxes beggars belief. Just goes to show how much they know their patrons.

Years ago, I did have some neighbours that irritated the fuck out of me by partying all night during some ridiculous day of the week when I had to be up early. I got absolutely jack shit sleep, got out of bed in a foul mood, waited until they'd fallen asleep and then blasted "To Here Knows When" by My Bloody Valentine as loud as I could possibly bear it, and repeatedly. I hope they enjoyed their hangovers - cunts.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 23:26 The opposite also works - go a pub commonly frequented by metalheads and put on the poppiest, plasticy, most mainstream/lower common denominator thing you can possibly find on the jukebox, although why some of these places DON'T remove shit like that from their jukeboxes beggars belief. Just goes to show how much they know their patrons.

Years ago, I did have some neighbours that irritated the fuck out of me by partying all night during some ridiculous day of the week when I had to be up early. I got absolutely jack shit sleep, got out of bed in a foul mood, waited until they'd fallen asleep and then blasted "To Here Knows When" by My Bloody Valentine as loud as I could possibly bear it, and repeatedly. I hope they enjoyed their hangovers - cunts.
THKW is soft and fluffy though - should've put on Glider :lol:
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 08:34 THKW is soft and fluffy though - should've put on Glider :lol:
:lol:

Yeah, that could've worked - or any live version of "You Made Me Realise" :lol:
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

I had some lovely chav crackheads 2 floors below and as usual they were being Twats and being way too noisy at all hours. I was gonna fire up the Marshall stack and play the Duchess arpeggios on Geetar but spared them that and played a Stranglers DVD so loud that my TV subwoofer after a few minutes had bounced across the floor about 10 feet away.

Anyway can’t wait for the next session of ‘Wyatting’ at the local pub & club.
Compiling a right list of Wyatting belters.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

I feel I may have mentioned this before, but early '80's, first "holiday" away with mates, 6 of us
camping in Arran, every time we went to the Whiting Bay Hotel to get pished Mick would slink off
to the jukebox and the cheap, cheesy bass line of (Keep Feeling) Fascination by The Human League
would suddenly blare out. And when it finished it would start again. Then again. He would cue it up
about 10 times in-a-row every time we went in there. Like a good/bad Stewart Lee routine over about
40 minutes it was hilarious, then tedious, then infuriating, then, ultimately, hilarious again.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...