This Song

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: This Song

Post by toilerinblack »

paulinblack wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 17:21 Always thought this was a good song. Its the type of song that I would have liked the Stranglers to have been writing in the last few years.

Love the rumbling bass.

Always like to listen to Dave's keyboard arpeggios.

Don't like the Davy Jones's locker bit - Seems symptomatic of latter day Stranglers, who seem to want to bugger up songs by being a bit too clever!

Quite like Baz's vocals on this.

Like the video - Must have been a dream come true for Stuart Pearce.

Surprised noone has mentioned the fact that Pearce is looking very 'Daniel Craig-esque' at the same time as his final portrayal of James Bond hits the box office after a massive Covid delay. Pretty good marketing ploy by the band's management/record company I think!

Best I've heard from the album thus far.
Well exactly what i thought after the first five seconds of the vid that he looked and dressed like Daniel Craig and looking like Mr.Bond himself.Anyway loved the song and the vid too i,bet Pearce loved playing the part in a stranglers vid being the fan that he is.Thumbs up from me and i'd say it's a good radio airplay track for them too,if they get that is another matter but it deserves to be as it is a good sounding stranglers song for them.
I loved Dave's Key work and JJ's bass very nice,all round a track more what the hardcore fans have been waiting for as a guess.
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

8088 wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 17:36
paulinblack wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 17:21 Surprised noone has mentioned the fact that Pearce is looking very 'Daniel Craig-esque'
I did about 2 pages back :grin:
Oh yes - Sorry. :( But you didn't link it with the new Bond film release! :grin:
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I like it, I'm not sure about the change in the vocal style, and I think they shouldn't have left such a gap before the last word. But I really like the keyboard work in the talky bit in the middle.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Paul
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Paul »

always liked 'this song' and like it more now. great production and an awesome stranglers's sound
....near the nearside window.....
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I've got to say Stuart acts the part superbly. His acting has certainly improved since the Pizza Hut advert! :grin:
jeanjacketburnel
Rats Rally

Post by jeanjacketburnel »

So how do we get it into the charts and the video on MTV?
STEVE
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Erm we go back in time at least 20 years? MTV stopped playing music years ago and charts aren't really a thing any more

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Absolute Radio have added this story/ video on their Facebook feed.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

jason wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 19:37 I've got to say Stuart acts the part superbly. His acting has certainly improved since the Pizza Hut advert! :grin:
your right he did act his part superbly and i think it was a masterstroke from the band getting him to do it,bazes vocals again was perfect for the song and the visual singing from stuarts face and hard attitude in a inner city black and white vid was thought out very well for me it was perfect.
This Song is a single for sure and again keeping up the theme of all bandless vids from this album since Dave again seems to be again the right decision i think.They for sure have put alot into this album with its tracks and vids like never before,they have never that i can remember have released so many tacks accompanied with videos in such a short space of time before but i stand be corrected on that one.The big one with a video to it i'd love to see them release has to be...White Stallion,will there be a video release to the really big production track of them all? now that i'd love to see....
Last edited by toilerinblack on 01 Sep 2021, 21:13, edited 5 times in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I can confirm the Stranglers have added some extra lyrics in the middle part, I love the original to, a great song, well done Matthew. Lt Kudu. :smt006
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 21:09 I can confirm the Stranglers have added some extra lyrics in the middle part, I love the original to, a great song, well done Matthew. Lt Kudu. :smt006
Yes i agree it has to be said well done it's a smashing song for the band to take over, i think this back in the day could of given them a big hit especially with a video like that with stuart in it,i enjoyed the middle eight parts to the song too.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 01 Sep 2021, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'm surprised the media haven't got hold of this video and been all over it.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"