If something's going to kill me...

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: If something's going to kill me...

Post by StanInBlack »

Ooh, I liked that! Not only does it highlight how good of a song it is, but some of Baz's vocal tics which marr the studio version slightly have been reined in. It also reinforces my belief that perhaps JJ & Baz should jack The Stranglers name in (because let's face it, it isn't) and perform as a duo, because in this setting the collaboration works and feels authentic, honest and uncynical.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 17:47
8088 wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 16:30 This is exactly the kind of pitch I've wanted them to do for years - a similar, stripped down arrangement of every song on the album would be fantastic....and yes, Baz's vocals are A1 on this.
Homey, I don’t wanna go all St*n on yo ass but I’m not that impressed.
But tbh I’ve never been a fan of The Stranglers in their acoustic setting, always prefer the loud aggressive electric Stranglers.
I prefer the full on electric Stranglers...but not when they're treading water.

I'd take mellow inventiveness over same old same old at full volume.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

The acoustic version was a fantastic 10 out of 10 for me,lovely version which for me anyway was far better than the album version and Baz sung it beautifully and who needs the trumpets?,Bazes touch on Harmonica was far better which fitted in with the style of the song much better and Louie fitted in well and played fantastic too i was very impressed with him,is their another player? if so why wasn't he in this playing with them,i'm not so sure what's going on there with all that.But i really enjoyed it they have matured together so well now...........MORE ACOUSTIC versions please!
Last edited by toilerinblack on 12 Aug 2021, 18:23, edited 7 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I honestly feel that this would be a great direction for them to go in moving forwards. JJ has already admitted that he can no longer pretend to be his younger self, so a direction like this makes sense to me.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 18:12 I honestly feel that this would be a great direction for them to go in moving forwards. JJ has already admitted that he can no longer pretend to be his younger self, so a direction like this makes sense to me.
You are 100% correct! i strongly feel this too,this is their way forwards without question for me,i was stunned how good this was!
The sound, the tempo was perfect,when they hang up their dms this is for the two of them the way forwards,it was beautifully done.How good was it hearing them singing it relaxed on stools and shades playing that good,more of the same please.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 12 Aug 2021, 18:17, edited 5 times in total.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

StanInBlack wrote:Ooh, I liked that! Not only does it highlight how good of a song it is, but some of Baz's vocal tics which marr the studio version slightly have been reined in. It also reinforces my belief that perhaps JJ & Baz should jack The Stranglers name in (because let's face it, it isn't) and perform as a duo, because in this setting the collaboration works and feels authentic, honest and uncynical.
Have you been drinking Stan?? ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

toilerinblack wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 18:10Bazes touch on Harmonica was farbetter
Neil Young must be shitting himself.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

For when when the stranglers do call it a day Baz and JJ should do shows like this acoustic one and electric look how Hugh does it acosutic and electric shows this is their future after the stranglers.They should gig as Jean Jaques Burnel and Baz Warne of the stranglers (acoustic and electric) shows that can still do any stranglers songs they want to and why not JJs still there and can still play what ever he wants to. Many older artists who are veterans now still keep playing on to crowds doing this sort of a show,laid back acoustic ones on stools,i like the thought of them going this way Hugh does acoustic shows that say former stranglers frontman,Baz and JJ can gig without the band name no problem but still play all the old hits.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 12 Aug 2021, 19:04, edited 6 times in total.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

toilerinblack wrote:For when when the stranglers do call it a day Baz and JJ should do sows like this acoustic one which could still include some electric songs with Baz changeing guitars fro what suits which song.They should gig as Jean Jaques Burnel and Baz Warne of the stranglers (acoustic and electric) show.
You'll always reap what you sow...

Puppet Show

+ Jean Jacques Burnel and Baz Warne play Songs of The Stranglers...acoustically.

Last edited by Cells&Plasma on 12 Aug 2021, 18:28, edited 2 times in total.
steinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by steinblack »

Nice version and and shows what a fine song it is once it’s been stripped down. Baz’s vocal is spot on and love the harmonica better than the brass.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 18:28
toilerinblack wrote:For when when the stranglers do call it a day Baz and JJ should do sows like this acoustic one which could still include some electric songs with Baz changeing guitars fro what suits which song.They should gig as Jean Jaques Burnel and Baz Warne of the stranglers (acoustic and electric) show.
You'll always reap what you sow...

Puppet Show

+ Jean Jacques Burnel and Baz Warne play Songs of The Stranglers...acoustically.

And both JJ & Baz’s amps won’t go to ‘11 ever again.
Table, candlelight, wine, pipe, slippers, death.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 18:04 Ooh, I liked that! Not only does it highlight how good of a song it is, but some of Baz's vocal tics which marr the studio version slightly have been reined in. It also reinforces my belief that perhaps JJ & Baz should jack The Stranglers name in (because let's face it, it isn't) and perform as a duo, because in this setting the collaboration works and feels authentic, honest and uncynical.
Yep bang on the money with all you've said here this is the right way for the two of them.How good was that acoustic version!