If something's going to kill me...

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: If something's going to kill me...

Post by theraven1979 »

Is your hat made out of Kraft Cheese?

Jim

Greatkudu wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 11:20 OK I don't lose my temper much these days, as I have calmed down, but please its not supposed to be Kraftwerk in the music, it's a nod to Kraftwerk, if anyone else says it doesn't sound like Kraftwerk I will eat my Hat as did the great Stan Laurel in the classic way out west. So please don't make me eat my Hat. 🧢 Lt Kudu :smt005
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Greatkudu wrote:OK I don't lose my temper much these days, as I have calmed down, but please its not supposed to be Kraftwerk in the music, it's a nod to Kraftwerk, if anyone else says it doesn't sound like Kraftwerk I will eat my Hat as did the great Stan Laurel in the classic way out west. So please don't make me eat my Hat. Image Lt Kudu :smt005
That video would be more to my taste
I Hate You !
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

If you've pre-ordered the album, the free download MP3 is on the merch site now. Sign into your account and it's in the "Downloads" section, not surprisingly.

Video's not bad, trumpet solo is perhaps a bit cheerful to come in just at that point in the video, and I'm not sure why he's got a remote control for that 50s TV. I don't really watch music videos so I don't have a comparison.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

And there was me thinking, with the title and all that, that this was about Covid-19? I thought it was a reference to the risk of loved ones passing on the disease and inadvertently infecting and potentially killing older relatives. I thought the 'war' was a reference to the battle to find a cure or vaccine?

Didn't quite see how the son dying and nuclear war coming fits the theme.
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

paulinblack wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 12:29 And there was me thinking, with the title and all that, that this was about Covid-19? I thought it was a reference to the risk of loved ones passing on the disease and inadvertently infecting and potentially killing older relatives. I thought the 'war' was a reference to the battle to find a cure or vaccine?

I interpreted it more as people passing away (from all causes) whilst being being forcibly separated from loved ones due to Covid restrictions ie if I'm going to die I want to be close to the people I love.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Glad they lost the intro for the video. The song hangs together better without it. There's enough different parts as it is and it wasn't a great segue.

Elektro Kardiogramm - great track :smile:. Yes, fair point about the rhythm. Maybe that's what Baz was getting at.
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 11:25 Is your hat made out of Kraft Cheese?

Jim

Greatkudu wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 11:20 OK I don't lose my temper much these days, as I have calmed down, but please its not supposed to be Kraftwerk in the music, it's a nod to Kraftwerk, if anyone else says it doesn't sound like Kraftwerk I will eat my Hat as did the great Stan Laurel in the classic way out west. So please don't make me eat my Hat. 🧢 Lt Kudu :smt005
I wish it was, sadly its made out of felt. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

paulinblack wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 12:29 And there was me thinking, with the title and all that, that this was about Covid-19? I thought it was a reference to the risk of loved ones passing on the disease and inadvertently infecting and potentially killing older relatives. I thought the 'war' was a reference to the battle to find a cure or vaccine?

Keep up :smt005 the director of Film did his own interpretation of what the song was about, off course we know what the song is about, but it also works on different levels, as Stranglers songs used to be like that, people got from the lyrics what they wanted. Lt Kudu
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

The song is a real outpouring of emotions from the band, following the loss of Dave 😥💔 I like it, having now heard it properly 🖤

The video - well, it's powerful, but I don't get why they had to send lots of money to america for americans to make an american video which has a thoroughly depressing ending!?! :smt102

Why would a band who have always said they support the UK and Europe (and who dislike american economic influence coming over here!) not choose a UK or European company to make their music videos? It feels like selling out :smt011
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

8088 wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 17:21
sendwarrior wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 16:57 Will be interesting to see the video, but I'm worried about how it will have been done, considering the subject matter.. :cry:
Well it did say "hard hitting" so to carry on the Covid theme it might be some extra footage of Matt Hancock dry humping his "assistant" :lol:
Spew-tastic! :smt087 :smt118
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤

Post by 8088 »

sendwarrior wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 14:30 The song is a real outpouring of emotions from the band, following the loss of Dave 😥💔 I like it, having now heard it properly 🖤

The video - well, it's powerful, but I don't get why they had to send lots of money to america for americans to make an american video which has a thoroughly depressing ending!?! :smt102

Why would a band who have always said they support the UK and Europe (and who dislike american economic influence coming over here!) not choose a UK or European company to make their music videos? It feels like selling out :smt011
Maybe it's more in the management's hands and they simply have pals over there that they're doing a favour? That's usually how things work.

As for the depressing end, well that tends to be the logical conclusion in any nuclear conflict scenario - good job really, if generals thought any different we'd probably have had many more wars.

Also - reading into it - maybe that's what JJ sees coming - a sticky end for us all given present circumstances which I'd wholly agree with.
Cricklewood

Post by Cricklewood »

Heard the song a few times now. I think I love the more calmer ending than the first half but the track itself is a bit like a journey building up towards a more contemplative feel imo.

The video was stylish and it's cool to see the band investing more into that side of the business compared to the last decade or two. However I feel the song itself means more than just the war and destruction the video seems to emphasise. For me the song is in part about: Covid, war, political fallout, climate change (earthquakes may happen), fascism, Dave, and possibly an encouragement to finally tell the person of your affection how you feel about them (It might as well be love :smt053). I don't feel the final nuclear scenes fits in well with the more contemplative, tranquil ending of the song imo and I do wish the video was a bit more open-ended than it was.

That said, we've barely seen the band dish out stylish, cinematic videos like this for a long while so I'm grateful for all these additional content they've given us lately