JJ and Baz together again at last.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: JJ and Baz together again at last.

Post by evonx »

I still remember the shock when the first pic of Baz was shown on the Rats Lair when he first joined. White jeans! Horrible.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

evonx wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 21:32 I still remember the shock when the first pic of Baz was shown on the Rats Lair when he first joined. White jeans! Horrible.
White/cream jeans plus black chelsea boots were essential in the late 80s - any ex indie kid will know...and you're only young and skinny once :lol:
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

I still remember the shock when the first pic of Baz was shown on the Rats Lair when he first joined. White jeans! Horrible.
White/cream jeans plus black chelsea boots were essential in the late 80s - any ex indie kid will know...and you're only young and skinny once :lol:
of course they were but The Stranglers are not an 'indie kid' band ;)
--eric--
and there i came

Post by 8088 »

evonx wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 21:46
of course they were but The Stranglers are not an 'indie kid' band ;)
Guess I must've been the only indie kid who's favourite band was The Stranglers then :grin:

I had no problem being hugely into Pixies, Primitives, Darling Buds, Wedding Present, Stone Roses etc etc at the same time.

Though you're right re Baz - no waistline above 32" should be entertaining white jeans....
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Guess I must've been the only indie kid who's favourite band was The Stranglers then :grin:

I had no problem being hugely into Pixies, Primitives, Darling Buds, Wedding Present, Stone Roses etc etc at the same time.
Wedding Present were great yes (still are I suppose) - there was a lot of cool indie stuff mid 80s - mid 90s - after that I lost track a bit
--eric--
and there i came
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

The 90s had a crazy amount of indie bands. There was all that NWONW nonsense but it just boiled down to indie really. There were lots of 2nd division indie though. Anyone remember Strangelove, Rialto, Menswear, 60ft Dolls etc?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Post by 8088 »

evonx wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 08:07 Wedding Present were great yes (still are I suppose) - there was a lot of cool indie stuff mid 80s - mid 90s - after that I lost track a bit
I think the The Wedding Present have retained their edge - evolved but still on the same track, I saw them just before lockdown and Gedge still does what he does with the same energy and enthusiasm.

Indie as it was disintergrated as soon as Oasis made their splash - repetition and formula set in plus the digital era dawned. Only history will tell if the old music tribalism from those days was good or bad?

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 08:25 The 90s had a crazy amount of indie bands. There was all that NWONW nonsense but it just boiled down to indie really. There were lots of 2nd division indie though. Anyone remember Strangelove, Rialto, Menswear, 60ft Dolls etc?

Jim
How dare you - 60ft Dolls were amazing, The Big 3 is one of my all time favourite albums.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

theraven1979 wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 08:25 Anyone remember Strangelove, Rialto, Menswear, 60ft Dolls etc?
I have a (the?) Rialto song in my car. And the Gin Blossom, the Auteurs s and a few other random names. Not a proper fan, though, these are just singles.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah that's a good album. I quite liked some of the Strangelove stuff also.

Jim
8088 wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 08:30
theraven1979 wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 08:25 The 90s had a crazy amount of indie bands. There was all that NWONW nonsense but it just boiled down to indie really. There were lots of 2nd division indie though. Anyone remember Strangelove, Rialto, Menswear, 60ft Dolls etc?

Jim
How dare you - 60ft Dolls were amazing, The Big 3 is one of my all time favourite albums.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Post by 8088 »

Always amazed me the roulette wheel of fame....Stereophonics had the same sonic blueprint as 60ft Dolls (but were inferior IMO) yet they went stellar and the Dolls went down the pan.
Same with Curve vs Garbage....
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 10:33 Always amazed me the roulette wheel of fame....Stereophonics had the same sonic blueprint as 60ft Dolls (but were inferior IMO) yet they went stellar and the Dolls went down the pan.
Same with Curve vs Garbage....
Never ever got the Stereophonics, talented musicians but just not for me, but I confess I saw them live in Stafford about 100 years ago with a girlfriend at the time who was a fan, little did she know I was being a cad and bounder at the time and seeing someone else, I'm not proud of my caddish behaviour but you live and learn. :smt005 Lt Kudu.